Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Guys.

Been out for a long time, divorcing is a pretty harrassing and time devouring business (but now it's just business)

Been to the gunshop yesterday on my way to a friend's home and spotted some WWII rifles in very good condition. One is a strange "US Gov Property" N°4 MK1 Lee Enfield and the other 1 a M1 Garand.

What do you think about using one of those for hunting, mostly for the drives ?

I've heard the Garand require only very specific loads ??? Could not load it with modern powder and Barnes bullets ?

I never used those peep sight, on of my friends did in the military and doesn't like them for fast moving targets. I think I could manage it from the tests I made in the shop but would have some experienced hunting advices with such sights.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 05/22/15.

Va t'in tch�re !
BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
You should be able to load it with 4895, 3031, 4064 for starters. Barnes bullets shouldn't be a problem either.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bullet weight will need to be 175 grain or less and no powder slower then 4320. Hornady manuals have specific M1 data. I use one for hunting at times. I works well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i know a lot of guys that used m1's in europe to hunt with back in ww2 (get it?) you wont have any problem. but just remember, fire and kiss your brass goodbye. and your clip!

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GV, Vihta Vuori N135 and N150 are within the pressure curve parameters for the M1 Garand and a 165 grain to 175 grain spitzer soft point would be a good bullet. Go forth and slay!!

added: Aperture sights are very fast to acquire and use but you need to practice keeping both eyes open.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 05/23/15.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any Germans hunting from bell towers may become very nervous seeing you.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've shot a fair amount with Garands. And mostly pigs. I've dumped 3 pigs in one run when they were at a turned over deer feeder and I snuck up on em. First head, second on the run back of head, third through shoulders.

Then followed the other 2 until I caught em crossing a creek and dropped both of them.

That with some cheap factory 125 WW soft points I had found.

Generally have used it with 165 bullets though and some old powder like H380 burn rate that was surplus powder. No issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, all true,HOWEVER powder availability in Belgium is a tad different than us. Vihta Vuori IS commonly available both in Europe AND the USA. The manuals have data for VV powder N135 and N150 for the Garand.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys for your advices smile

Seems like I'm doomed and maybe the russian boars too :p

As Jim said Vitha powder are probably easier to find in my area ;-)

Last edited by grand_veneur; 05/23/15.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took a few pics in the shop

Maybe different from what you have on shop walls in the US.

No ARs but lots of German and Liege guns, many double rifles and shotguns, Browning BARs, straight pull action as well as classical bolt actions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i59.tinypic.com/23sdy60.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i59.tinypic.com/2nhosie.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i60.tinypic.com/112gy0y.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i61.tinypic.com/90zh4l.jpg[/img]

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yah, I know that on powder, I was just rambling as usual, IE I don't have load data with Viht.

But the right burn rate and their load data all should be just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I shot practice matches with the Garand through most of one summer using Speer 125 gr TNT hollowpoint bullets over a light load of H4895.

I do not know which comparable powders would be available in your location.

The load mentioned above operated the rifle well, and was very pleasant to shoot in extended practice sessions. For hunting, a charge of IMR or H 4895 (or similar powder) sufficient to push a 150 gr Barnes to 2800 fps would be hard to beat.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got a message from my parents, they're travelling France in a camping truck and my father just told me they're sleeping next to Omaha Beach to night. Could this be a sign ? :p

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they are original to the rifle, the rear handguard clip and sights indicate (obviously) a WWII rifle. The Op-rod is straight-cut flat side, but the barreled action would have to be removed from the stock to see if the relief cut is there.

It's possible there's quite a bit of history in that rifle.

I presently have two, an HRA and an IHC. Both '53 manufacture, so they're not WWII rifles.

The HRA is a "correct grade" rifle, and I have torn it down to confirm it as so. It is a low-mileage rifle, but I occasionally fire it.

The IHC I bought as a non-functioning item and have restored it to a functioning state with a total mixture of parts. Aftermarket stock, SA internals, gas cylinder, and bolt. PB sights and Op-rod. The barrel is Criterion. I shoot this one quite a bit. Interesting enough, the receiver a rare "Arrowhead", but I'm not going to spend the money to correct it.

I am loading my ammo now with N135. It's a good powder, as is N140. I use 150 grain bullets, FMJ for blasting, and Speer Hot-Cor spitzers for hunting.

HRA on the bottom, IHC on the top.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seen a M1 being used as a rifle for hunting in the Phillipines, even after water buffalo....believe Boddington is who i saw the video of....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In my experience 47.1 grains of VV140 and a 168 Sierra is the most accurate load in my rifle. I shoot it in the CMP matches and across the course in NRA High Power. It is a X6 million National Match gun.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My M1 is within 100,000 of the s/n my dear old dad carried in the Battle of the Bulge, and is all "correct". I've shot the devil out of that beautiful weapon and have killed many deer with it. 47.0 grains of 4064 behind a Sierra 168 produces little bitty groups, and very dead deer. Good luck!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
in one year i loaded and shot nearly 2500 rounds in practice and competition out to 600 yards with my garand. they are very accurate and the sights are awesome and repeatable. the factory soft point ammo is loaded with too slow/too hot pressures for the long op rod to sustain. i used handloads exclusively. my garand has been "built" with a krieger barrel and shoots in the .3's. i have harvested a lot of game with a 30-06 including wolf, deer and elk.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk1 is probably made by Savage Arms, for the Lend-Lease program between the US and Britain during the Second World War.

The US ordered rifles built to British specifications for delivery to England, but not used by the US military in any way.

The M1 Garand has been covered thoroughly by the other posters.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE sights, you must be lucky, I 've yet to have a Garand or M1A that had perfect sights, dial indicator always showed at least 1 or 2 clicks off distance wise from the rest. Even with NM sights. Enough so that as I got really decent, it irritated me at 600...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
602 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.