Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Can you guys recommend a durable paint for coating a plywood workbench top (surface)? Was thinking maybe expoxy garage floor paint. I could lay a layer of fiberglass cloth over top too, but that's pricey.

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Truck bed liner?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's what I was thinking.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't. Prefer something like tempered hardboard (Masonite) so it's easy and cheap to replace the surface. My reloading/electronics bench has the plastic coated kind which was left over from another project. Nice for a light duty (the plastic isn't hard to scratch up), attractive, replaceable surface.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being a wood worker all my life I can tell you the best coating for wood is metal.
Just get a piece of sheet metal cut to fit and be done with it.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Glidden makes a Porch and floor I bought at HDepot. Wears like iron. Used it on outside deck entry in the snow and sub zero and hot 100 deg. sun. Lasted over 5 years. I knew a guy that used it on a children playground lasted for years even on the wood slide no wear marks. Not sure if that is what you really want but it does work.

Harbor freight does sell a roll on bed liner both spray paint( really cheap not recommended) and in gallon size. I used the gallon with 3 coats applied with roller. wears like iron. I added sand for texture. I am happy with both applications.

GOOD LUCK KEEP US INFORMED
ABLE

ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
the masonite (above) works and is cheap. I managed to pick up some conveyor belting many years ago that I screwed on to my workbench. would love to have more of that stuff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
formica?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If going paint/coating my first move would be to roll on Hammerite smooth.

Solvent, gas, and oil dont bother it.

Takes over a week to fully harden but when it does you can hit it with a hammer and it wont chip.

http://www.kilz.com/hammerite/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=b2fd5f86a6331210VgnVCM1000008a05d103RCRD

Last edited by MallardAddict; 05/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had good luck with Porch and Floor enamel. Won't stand up to oil soak as well as some of the other options but I have been happy with the results.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Masonite or Formica work in my shop.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I believe I'd just stain it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't know what it is called today or the brands,but I have used a piece of high quality linoleum for years. Mine has lasted over 20 years. Durable,waterproof, mostly chemical proof, softer on guns than wood or metal, cleans up easy, never have to repaint or refinish it,easy to replace if needed.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of things named above work well - including simple stain/strong varnish of the plywood. EPOXY garage floor enamel has been good as well. Here - butcher block laminate with polyurethane finish for the reloading bench, short/tight weave carpet for the stock making/refinishing bench (covered with plastic sheet when making lots of chips), and linoleum (as someone else mentioned above) for the benches where oily stuff happens and where the surface takes a beating. Covered one with steel sheet once (forget whether it was galvanized or stainless) and it was good for smoothness and cleanup - but a few problems arose when it became punctured/slit/dented. Hope this is of help.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like a couple guys mentioned- formica, or by the generic name- plastic laminate.
I've used it on several of my workbenches for years and it holds up well, gives a flat surface to work on, and you can clean surface gunk off it with anything from a washcloth up to a power sander- depending on what gunk you get on it. Nice flat surface to set tools, cases, guns, and other equipment on and won't react to oils, solvents, or just about anything.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What Pahntr said. I've used the Rust-Oleum Deck & Concrete Restore and its been darned near bullet-proof, and has shown no wear in over a year.

Chris

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys for the advise. Decided to go with formica.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another option is to use some type of replaceable top surface like masonite or whatever floats your boat...

Hard use work benches get chewed up and plywood is a soft material designed for a sub-surface, but I use 2x6 with a masonite top...painted or not. When attached by a few screws, replacing it is a 20 minute job...cheap and easy.

Lesser use is different...

One of my loading benches has a masonite surface and is likely older than most of the guys on here...not as old as some of you guys though...:)

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have built a couple benches to restore old British bikes on, large pieces of cardboard are your friend, soaks up oil and keeps the bench top relatively clean. Works well as a throw away whenever doing anything messy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.