Print Thread
Hop To
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I am having an issue with low velocities using CFE223, I have chronographed the loads in three different rifles and they all give very similar results, I have also verified the chronograph by comparing loads of other powders with known velocity using the same chronograph and also by using a friends Oehler.

Per Hornaday data - max load with CFE223 - 29 grs, vel - 3667 in a 24 inch barrel

Using CFE223 my actual velocities average 3443 using a 24 inch barrel, slightly less in a 22 inch barrel and slightly more in a 26 inch barrel (pretty much right around the 25 fps loss or gain expected from barrel length).

Data -
223 Remington
LC brass
Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tip
28 1/2 gr CFE 223 (1/2 gr under max listed in Hornady data)
Win primers

Info -
Brass -I have tried Lapua and Win brass and they give nearly the same velocity.
Primers - I have tried Win, Federal, CCI, and Wolf, again no substantial changes in velocity.
Bullet - I tried Hornady V-Max 40 gr, no substantial change in velocity.
Powder - 3 different lot numbers of CFE 223, all near identical velocity.

The load is super accurate but it does not give the "POP" on varmints and of course I hate giving up over 200 fps. I have been using VV-133 with the same components and getting 3800 without pressure signs using the same rifles, but at $230 for 8 lbs by the time it is shipped it is getting a bit pricey.

Question - is this normal for CFE223 to not attain loading data velocity?

Thoughts?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're under a book max charge and wondering why you're under book max speeds? I'd work up to speed and/or pressure.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Hornady published data lists 29 grs @ 3667 as max and I am loading 28-1/2 and getting an average of 3443. I have been loading for 50 years now and I have never seen this much disparity between published data and real world results.
Yes, I have thought of setting up the chrono and working up to published speed but I am a bit cautious in trying to make up that many fps.

Further info - in my 24 inch barreled 22/250 loading 50 gr Nosler BT's at a 1/2 gr under max it slightly exceeds published data.

My question is this - "Is it normal for CFE223 to not attain loading data velocity?"

To add to my question- Has anyone else noticed this or are they just accepting published velocity without chronographing to confirm it?

Perhaps this is an issue of the 40 gr bullet not letting sufficient pressure being built. I am hoping for some input from other folks who are running CFE223 with 40's in the 223.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Have you tried any Magnum Primers?

Drover, in general, a 200 fps variance from published is not all that unusual. Especially with a powder represented to be so much better then everything similar.

As a for a specific answer, I suspect there are not enough folks playing with your exact load combination to give you a decent sample. CFE 223 is still a fairly new powder and the general tendency on this forum is to play with heavier bullets.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/01/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by drover
Hornady published data lists 29 grs @ 3667 as max and I am loading 28-1/2 and getting an average of 3443. I have been loading for 50 years now and I have never seen this much disparity between published data and real world results.
Yes, I have thought of setting up the chrono and working up to published speed but I am a bit cautious in trying to make up that many fps.

Further info - in my 24 inch barreled 22/250 loading 50 gr Nosler BT's at a 1/2 gr under max it slightly exceeds published data.

My question is this - "Is it normal for CFE223 to not attain loading data velocity?"

To add to my question- Has anyone else noticed this or are they just accepting published velocity without chronographing to confirm it?

Perhaps this is an issue of the 40 gr bullet not letting sufficient pressure being built. I am hoping for some input from other folks who are running CFE223 with 40's in the 223.

drover

As antelope_sniper has stated it is unlikely that many here have encountered your situation as of yet. I think I have the components to work up the load in question though I seldom work with a chronograph since giving up my home with a shooting range out the back door.

If you do not mind my asking what is the lot number of the CFE223 powder you are experiencing the substantially lower than projected velocity with? This sounds very similar to a somewhat recent experience Mule Deer experienced with a newer lot number of Ramshot Tac. As I recall he just worked up the load carefully with the new lot of powder and velocity and accuracy node for the new lot of powder came together at near a full grain heavier charge than the previous lot he was working with.

Seems others have shared similar experiences with Lil Gun only it a scarier situation where the revers would be true that they were reaching pressure and velocity at a much lower charge weight than may have been expected. All powders are subject to these variations, the non extreeme variants seem most likely at risk for your dilemma. No Lawyer minded individual will likely tell you to work up your load to desired pressure/velocity and exceed book recommendations, though they do tell us to start at a low charge and work up load for our given rifle.

Given the short time this powder has been on the market we have not seen much shared in terms of lot to lot variation with CFE 223. This is not listed as an extreem powder known for minimal velocity spread from lot to lot and or from low temp to high temp environment, so your experience does not surprise me that much.

Thanks for sharing! I will be keeping an eye on what others may have seen for velocity variations from different Lots and temperature extremes with the CFE 223.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 06/01/15.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B2

D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the replies, I am just a bit surprised at the low velocities since I have not encountered this much disparity before with other powders.

I have not tried magnum primers, I may do so just as an experiment.

I will probably end up setting up the chronograph and seeing what occurs with charge increases.

drover

I will take a look at the lot numbers and post them but some of the cans have already been tossed but all were bought far enough apart that they were not the same so it appears to be a characteristic of it,at least in my experience.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I found velocity to run higher than listed when using CFE in my 17 Remington. Sometimes way higher, like almost 200fps with the max charge listed for 20gr bullets. I use CCI 41s for primers but have recently switched to Remington 7 1/2s.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I recently purchased some CFE223 but have not gotten a chance to load for it yet.

Have you called the guys at Hodgdon to inquire as to your quandary?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
drover,

Books are stupid. All data in book form is, is a rough guide or starting point.

There are too many variances to think that 29gr's of a given powder with a given bullet will give the same speeds in every rifle/chamber in the country.

If you want 3,600fps, just keep adding powder until you get there.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by drover

I have not tried magnum primers, I may do so just as an experiment.

I don't think a SR Magnum primer is going to make a big difference for you.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've gotten right at book speeds with CFE in a couple 223's. Have only used one lot# though. It is my favorite 223 powder. By far.

Remembering that the Hornady data (and several other sets) use Win brass with their loads, and that the volume difference between Win and LC/FC/Lapua is significant, I'd say that half a grain off max is likely a max charge. Not sure why your speeds would be low. Maybe your scale is taking a crap. Had best luck with CCI primers, and 400s have been supreme for accuracy out of the gun that would show any differences.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I started using CFE223 in my little RAR, with 75gr A-Max. It is a very accurate load. But I was getting large SD readings. I switched to CCI450 primers and the SD has dropped a lot. I am getting quite a bit lower velocities than Hogdon lists, but I am using a 16.5" barrel so I expect that.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
It looks like it is time to set up the chronograph and start working up a bit at a time to see if I can achieve published velocity without pressure signs. But that will have to wait a couple of week until I am back from PD hunting.

I have not shot any 50 gr bullet from the 223 using CFE 223 since I do not normally shoot 50's in the 223 but I think I will load up a few to see how they measure against published data.

drover

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I want top speed I load everything over the chronograph. I usually start in the 90% range and keep adding until the chronograph reads what it should.

I never did this until I started loading for 7X57. Barsness wrote an article explaining how great the variances can be between two 7X57 chambers and explained how to load for them accordingly.

I've since applied that to everything else and have had no problems. But you need a good idea of what is too fast for a given combo as well as not fast enough.

If number too big = too much powder.

If number too small = add powder.

Works for me anyway.

Travis

D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have done that also, that is the route I will go with this one.

I am hopeful that I can find the speed along with the accuracy I am getting at the lower velocity, out of my better 223's I am getting consistent 5 shot sub 1/2 inch groups. It is a great gopher/PD load except that I am missing the "POP" that higher velocity brings.

drover

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.