Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 70 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 69 70
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigswede358
KC,
Do you need a drop tube to get that much RL22 in a 30-06 case?

bigSwede:

No drop tube. After I weighed it I discovered that that much just about fills the casing to the top of the neck. Tap it and shake it a little so the powder will settle some then tamp it in with a wooden dowel. Not too hard.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Got to remember that the buffaloe and almost the elk were annilated before any of these magnums were in exitance.

Interesting side note:

http://www.petersenshunting.com/featured/was-the-buffalo-nearly-hunted-to-near-extinction/

David

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KC
KC,
Do you need a drop tube to get that much RL22 in a 30-06 case?

bigSwede:

No drop tube. After I weighed it I discovered that that much just about fills the casing to the top of the neck. Tap it and shake it a little so the powder will settle some then tamp it in with a wooden dowel. Not too hard.

KC

Thanks for the info.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have we collectively figured out yet that the 300 Weatherby knocks the snot out of bull elk? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bob, no doubts out this way,..but you're up way too early man! 😴 😒😳

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Have we collectively figured out yet that the 300 Weatherby knocks the snot out of bull elk? smile

I can find a carload of carcasses left over from a bunch of elk hunting, that will attest to that fact...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shoot what you can handle and hit them where they live and you will be killing yourself getting a Bull out of the mountain. The 300 Wby is a great hunting round if you can handle the recoil, most newbe's can't and would be much better off packing a 30-06 or 308 for Elk.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

As will a bazooka. smile

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Much prefer a 300 rum or even a 300 winchester.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I see no advantage of the Weatherby over a Win Mag. You can get ammo about anywhere for the win mag if things go bad. Long seated reloads seem to perform pretty dang good. A Weatherby isn't worth the bother.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bea175
Shoot what you can handle and hit them where they live and you will be killing yourself getting a Bull out of the mountain. The 300 Wby is a great hunting round if you can handle the recoil, most newbe's can't and would be much better off packing a 30-06 or 308 for Elk.

Exactly.. All this gack is fun, but what most guys really need to be doing is practicing with their elk rifle on a more consistent basis......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Exactly.. All this gack is fun, but what most guys really need to be doing is practicing with their elk rifle on a more consistent basis......

I kinda dig the 300 Wby my son was gifted this past year from my elk hunting partner.. grin

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigNate
I see no advantage of the Weatherby over a Win Mag. You can get ammo about anywhere for the win mag if things go bad. Long seated reloads seem to perform pretty dang good. A Weatherby isn't worth the bother.

My buddy killed six elk out of seven trips to Colorado with me and all with the 300 Win Mag and the Sierra 200 gr BT

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

My buddy killed six elk out of seven trips to Colorado with me and all with the 300 Win Mag and the Sierra 200 gr BT

Nope, can't be true. If you read the internet enough you will know that a Sierra Game King is not a suitable elk bullet. You need something bonded or a mono.

I'm glad I don't read the internet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nope, can't be true. If you read the internet enough you will know that a Sierra Game King is not a suitable elk bullet. You need something bonded or a mono.

I'm glad I don't read the internet.

I'm glad I don't either.... I generally use 250gr gamekings in my 338... shocked

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I kinda dig the 300 Wby my son was gifted this past year from my elk hunting partner.. grin

[Linked Image]

Scotty, that is a damn good shooting 300 wby. Reminds me of how mine shot 180gr. ballistic tips and partitions. Why in the hell I ever got rid of it, I'll never know!!!! I don't know what your son ended up with, but mine was built on a really nice m1917 sporter. I sold it to a guy on the other side of the river about 40 miles from where your elk hunting partner lives...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
35 whelen for me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The .300 Wby is a great round. As far as best, well, that is subjective. Everything living will die very quickly sans its heart. What destroys its heart is immaterial. That it is destroyed is.

Last September, I put a 900+ pound 7x7 bull on his butt with one 160 Partition fired from my 7MM Rem Mag. The fact is I can't think of a big game round that wouldn't have done the same thing provided a bullet from one destroyed its heart.

Were I accorded a rifle do-over, I'd go with a 22" barreled .280 Rem and never look back. But then again, I like short barreled, easy-to-carry guns.

Hunting success is determined by hunters' skills. A .303 British will kill just as dead as a .300 Wby if bullets from each stop oxygenated blood from flowing topside. Big game will die when oxygenated blood stops topside flow.

Therefore, it ain't the cartridge as much as personal preference and hunters' skills.

If I'm fortunate to go again this season, I'll be using my 22" barreled .270 Win. As long as I put a bullet in an elk's oxygenated blood pumping equipment, it will die. That is biological fact. And in hunting as is true in all that lives, biology is controlling.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BTW, the 7MM Rem Mag was designed as a long range elk cartridge. My guess is that the 7MM Rem Mag has killed more elk than any other magnum cartridge. But that;s just a guess.

There is magic in 7MM Rem Mag bullets. To get better sectional density, ergo better penetration, one has to move far right on the power continuum where cartridges that hurt to shoot are found.

I have a Belgian Browning in .338 Win Mag. I've never hunted with it. It's far too power for everything I hunt. But it is a beautiful gun. About 30 years ago I fired it 3 times & have never again fired it. Were I to be able to hunt polar bear, I might use it. But then again, Eskimos & Inuit us the '06 with great success on polar bear.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Flat trajectory. Massive downrange energy. Sub MOA accuracy from many rifle and handload combos. High but manageable recoil in most rifle weights. Almost unlimited bullet selection, and widely universal availability of factory ammo, if needed
If you were on a trophy hunt for big bulls, could you really come up with a better choice?
For myself, the next bull will fall to another TSX, 165 or 180 gr, with extreme confidence.
Why undergun yourself with lesser armament, or overrun yourself with higher recoil?
If Roy himself were around today, I'm guessing he would endorse his 300 as perfection on elk.

As far as I’m concerned, the premise of the question (“The 300 Wby Mag for elk- is there anything better?”) is wrong. “Better” is an individual assessment based on specific criteria. There is no universal “better” as the criteria will necessarily vary from individual to individual. Before addressing that matter, let me comment on the supposed advantages of the .300 WBY as stated by the OP.

Flat trajectory:
Most game is taken within 300 yards where many cartridges are capable of providing a “flat enough” trajectory. My .257 Roberts shoots way flatter than necessary for such ranges. The real advantage of “flat” shooting magnums comes in at ranges over 500-600 yards, ranges at which most people a) have no business attempting a shot due to lack of practice and b) have no idea what the actual trajectory is (and usually underestimate the drop in my experience). In 33 years of hunting elk, I’ve never taken a shot where a .308 Win would not have sufficed. “Flat” shooting cartridges are nice but rarely necessary.

Massive downrange energy:
Dead is dead. More energy won’t make an animal more dead. It can, however, result in excessive wastage of the meat. Once a certain level of energy transfer is reached, the law of diminishing returns kicks in with a vengeance. Once again the advantage is most important at ranges far beyond where most game is taken.

Sub-MOA accuracy:
Many cartridges are capable of sub-MOA accuracy. Many of those can provide more than adequate on-game performance with far less recoil and expense than a .300WBY.

High but manageable recoil:
Manageable for whom? Many people find .30-06 levels of recoil objectionable. The recoil of my .45-70 hunting loads makes any .300WBY load look tame by comparison but the older I get the more I appreciate cartridges that have relatively mild recoil.

Almost unlimited bullet selection:
While there are a log of bullets available for .308” bores, the same hunting bullets I would use in a .300 WBY are available for most common bore diameters, including North Fork SS, Barnes TTSX, Nosler AccuBond, and Swift A-Frame. If you prefer cup-and-core hunting bullets you would be hard pressed to find a common bore diameter for which such bullets are not readily available.

Widely universal availability of factory ammo:
That claim is a self-contradicting oxymoron. (And yes, I know “self-contradicting oxymoron” is repetitive.) “Widely” and “universal” are mutually exclusive terms. But never mind that – I suspect factory .30-06 ammo (and .300WM ammo for that matter) is available at far more places, and in more varieties for far less cost, than is .300WBY factory ammo.

Could I come up with a “better” choice for a trophy hunt for big bulls? Yes, and easily so, as I have quite a few rifles that would be more than adequate but don’t have a .300 WBY or any desire to purchase one. Moreover, they would undoubtedly do 99.9% of the jobs I could do with a .300 WBY with less recoil and less cost. But what is “better for me is not necessarily “better” for the next person.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 6 of 70 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.