Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
What brand & why? I need to add one for use with a 25 caliber rifle that recently found it's way home.
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One piece Dewey nylon coated rod because that is what target shooters use to clean their expensive match grade barrels.

Disclaimer: I'm not a gun writer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have more Dewey than anything else and find them entirely satisfactory.

In some cases I prefer the Dewey because I can buy the diameter and length I want for a specific rifle. FREX I have a short barreled .375 bore with (2) Dewey rods that fit the .375 bore closely and are no longer than they need to be - still not short with bore guides and all. IMHO this reduces flex and I think reducing flex is good. Many fine rods are marketed in fewer diameters and lengths; not exactly one size fits all but one size fits many. I wouldn't want to use a .22 size rod no matter how ultimately strong in the .375 bore because I'd expect more flex and I don't want that.

I do believe that older Dewey rod coating would react with some of today's aggressive cleaners but I don't believe current Dewey coating is an issue.

That said where the rod diameter and length suits I do believe that Montana X-treme is a better rod albeit at a slightly higher price. My most recent purchase was for a new .204 Ruger bore Shilen barrel and I bought a pair of Montana X-treme thinking them stronger and wanting all the strength I could get in the small bore size.

At one time I though Belding and Mull uncoated stainless the best (before Shooter's Supply & Dewey) and I enjoyed the yellow coated Parker Hale rods which reminded me to keep wiping the rod clean with each stroke. I think the Parker Hale handles keep spinning the longest if that's a criterion of quality.

I think the right jags, brushes and patches (fit and material for all 3) matter more than the rod. This implies careful selection for use with today's aggressive copper solvent cleaners.

I still buy 2 rods, one to patch and one to brush, this is mostly because my hands hurt as I age and I'd have to use the Sinclair pliers or some such to get by with one rod. These days I don't run rods down the barrel nearly so much as I once did. If I thought I needed a bore coating to reduce cleaning I'd do that promptly.

Because both Dewey and Montana X-treme use a .22 size rod to cover .22-26 I'd likely go with the Montana X-treme for the possibility of extra strength and less flex. If I had, or somebody gave me Dewey - actually I have both Dewey and Montana X-treme (Dewey goes with a couple shorter .223/5.56 barrels and the Montana X-treme go with a 26" long barreled .220 Swift) I'd be entirely satisfied and never look back.

Probably worth considering some of the newish efforts to reduce copper staining rather than buying a traditional rod because it was once the obvious choice - I'm happy with mine but I might choose differently starting from scratch today.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
O.T.I.S. & Patch Out

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dewey coated and Pro-shot coated rods. Still use some of the Pro-shot uncoated burnished stainless rods as well.

More important to me is that the jag/patch and the brush are a tight fit to the bore. Cheap patches/jags and brushes aren't worth the effort of a good rod. I don't clean near as often as I use to. If I see accuracy falling off, I clean. That varies by rifle. But I clean down to the metal then foul the bore and shoot.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A bunch of companies make very good cleaning rods these days. I have too many cleaning rods, including Bore Tech, Dewey, Gunslick, Montana X-Treme and Tetra Gun. They all work fine, but if I had to choose one it would Montana X-Treme because they're one of the rare GOOD take-down rods.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I too use two rods for each caliber, one for a brush and one for the patches. They are about half Bore Tech and half Dewey. Most of the cleaning supplies are Bore Tech these days. So I guess I think Bore Tech is better.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bore Tech

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
.......if I had to choose one it would Montana X-Treme because they're one of the rare GOOD take-down rods.

MD, what makes that one a good take down rod if you don't mind me asking?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Aside from the stuff found on good 1-piece rods, such as a very smooth-rolling handle and a stiff shaft with a tough, non-abrasive coating, the rod itself is very strong and the joints so precise you can barely feel 'em with your fingertips.

The big objection to most jointed rods is they're too flexible, and the joints so loose they can cause wear in the bore, or even break. Not so with this rod.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, may have to check one of those out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have about 12-15 Deweys, but My favorite is Ivy Rods by Denny Phillips They are polished toolsteel. Jerry Stiller is supposed to have a line of them like Denny's. I don't care for coated rods as they allow your cleaning mess to stick to your coated rods.
Carbon fiber rods are a big no no!

Last edited by butchlambert1; 06/06/15.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dewey's for all calibers and barrel lengths.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks to all,

I ended up purchasing a Montana X-Treme cleaning rod.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Carbon fiber rods are a big no no!

Not trying to be a jerk, but do you care to elaborate on that statement as to why.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know I love WV as my Grandson attends WVU. Several people have had them shatter and have impaled themselves. Carbon fiber is not a lubricant, it will wear on your barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never had a problem; used them for about 11yrs now. You're statement just made me wonder what had happened to you. I've read of this happening, but its usually been with the .22 caliber rods.

WVU is a good school, I was up there this past Friday....small world.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The very best cleaning rod is a bent, rusty, OLD coat hanger. With one of these you can wear a barrel out right quick and switch calibers - or lengths - or whatever is tickling your fancy and use the excuse that you are "saving the rifle - and $$$ whenever you decide to get some experimentation in!

Terry

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I've never had a problem; used them for about 11yrs now. You're statement just made me wonder what had happened to you. I've read of this happening, but its usually been with the .22 caliber rods.

If you keep up with Mountaineer football, check on Josh Lambert.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by StudDuck

If you keep up with Mountaineer football, check on Josh Lambert.

Will do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.