Home
Posted By: Gun_Geezer 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
The arrow availble for purchase around here all have 4", off-set feathers. No shafts. So that's what I start with. Now that I have a new Bitzenburger with helical clamp, I bought some 4" shield cuts to get started.

Should have asked this question before I bought the 4" feathers, but any real world difference / affect to arrow flight out to say 30-yards between 4" and 5" feathers?
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
I don't think so gun. I make mine with 5 in. but my son made me some with 4 in. For no better an archer than I am, I couldn't tell any difference. I suspect over a chronograph 5 in. might be a little slower but, as you said, any real world difference has to be minimal.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
I've usually shoot three 5" feathers out of my recurves, but have also shot four 4" feathers. Never noticed any difference except I can get the 4" fletched arrows out of my quiver and on the string easier cuz I'm not messing with getting the cock feather turned out, away from the riser.
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
I shoot 3 4" with 125 grain stingers and 50 grain brass inserts. Perfect flight and zips right thru the deer. Only have a 48# compound by the way.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
I ran 5" years ago because everybody said to.
Worked fine.
But now I run 4".
Compound or recurve.
Works fine.

But I only shoot helical.
3 fletch. White cock feather.
Nocks have little indicator bump on side.
No problem loading them up quick from bow quiver.
I run a tab so fingertips can feel nock indicator.
Posted By: cedarbreaker Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
I've used both. Found that if the bow/arrow combo is tuned, the three 4" work great and seem to be a little quieter than the 5". This is in a 54lb Toelke longbow and Chinook recurve. Doubt you'd go wrong with either though.

Dave
Posted By: DCR48 Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
Out of a longbow or recurve I shoot 4 5 inch fletched 75X105. But have never shot carbon arrows from either only wood or aluminum.
Switched to carbons 2002.
Switched to 4" feathers 2004.

All my recurves cut past center.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/08/20
OK. I have 4-inchers so I'll stick with it. Saves on glue. smile
Posted By: JGray Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/09/20
I used 5" and 5-1/2" 3 fletch for years but mostly use 4" 4 fletch now. The last batch I fletched up I used 3-1/2" 4 fletch shield shape with a higher profile.

I feel like the 4 fletch arrows straighten out a little quicker than 3 fletch and give a little better arrow flight.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/09/20
Originally Posted by JGray
I used 5" and 5-1/2" 3 fletch for years but mostly use 4" 4 fletch now. The last batch I fletched up I used 3-1/2" 4 fletch shield shape with a higher profile.

I feel like the 4 fletch arrows straighten out a little quicker than 3 fletch and give a little better arrow flight.

When you do a 4 fletch, do you use straight, off-set, or helical?
Posted By: JGray Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/09/20
I've always used helical with traditional gear. I used to use offset with compounds but now use helical there also.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/09/20
Only folks I know shooting 4 fletch are longbow guys.
Rigs not centershot.
Posted By: dale06 Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/09/20
I’ve shot 5” and then switched to 4” 10 years ago.
Recently switched to 4-3”.
All have shot great, out of my compounds.
Posted By: centershot Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/09/20
If your bow won't shoot 3) 4" Feathers(even with broadheads), you need to do some tuning. About the only place I could see shooting 5" feathers would be on wood shafts where they are not very consistent to begin with.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: 4" vs 5" feathers - 07/10/20
Originally Posted by centershot
If your bow won't shoot 3) 4" Feathers(even with broadheads), you need to do some tuning. About the only place I could see shooting 5" feathers would be on wood shafts where they are not very consistent to begin with.

To be clear: I'm not really have a problem with arrow flight on my new arrows. The 3@4" off-set feathers work fine. Just curious about others perspective/experience woith 5" compared to 4".
© 24hourcampfire