Home
I'm at the point in life where I need readers to see clearly at near arms length. For many years I've used multi pin sights but these last couple years I've been having issues focusing on the pin.

With readers on I can't see the target, without the sight is fuzzy.

Has anyone else with the same issue tried a single pin sight? Did it solve the problem? What single pin sight do you recommend for a hunting bow?
Good morning Nate,
I bought a couple GWS AR 19 sights from ebay a couple years ago, single pin adjustable sights.
Simple, solid and they work well. $48 instead of $120 for a similar product I'd bought a couple years previously from Sportsman's Warehouse.

I bought three, one for the wife, one for my brother and mine.
I’ve been bowhunting avidly for 42 years, I’m 70. I still don’t use any eye correction. I’ve used three pin sight for ever.
Bought a new bow and decided to try a new sight. Bought a a Black Gold, Verdict Instinct, single pin, adjustable. Have used it for three months, killed a turkey in April with it.
Not sure if it’s the new bow or the new sight, but I’m shooting far more accurately than I ever have.
One pin, three, or five - you’ll have the same the same problem with “seeing” the pin , it’s your eyes and older age, not the sight.

Get a “Verifer” peep housing, and the correct lens - the pins and the target will be clear again. The lens come in six powers and your local shop can will help you get the right one.

I’ve been using one tor 4-5 years now, and very glad I did - it brought my abilities back up to where they were, before I needed readers. Like you’ve described - I need them for anything in arms reach.

https://specialtyarch.com/verifiers/
yep i have poor eye sight now at 67 years of age ,i use 3 pins 20 yards .40 pin 40 yards .19 pin and 60 yards .10 pin but i never use the 60 yard pin to shoot at animals 60 yards is to far for me.
Bright pin(s) can cause ones eye to focus on the pin and not see the target past it.

But if a pin isn't in focus, one or multi.........doesn't matter.

You can go w a peep "verifier".............. or just shoot a recurve w nothing wink

You need a peep site verifier lense.
https://www.lancasterarchery.com/blog/using-a-verifier-to-bring-fuzzy-archery-sight-pins-into-focus#:~:text=Archers%20often%20confuse%20the%20two%20lenses%2C%20and%20so,Specialty%20Archery%20is%20the%20primary%20manufacturer%20of%20verifiers.
Must say I rather liked my HHA single pin mover sight.
But I swapped out the vert pin front to a horizontal and
chitcanned the bubble level.

Ran it on my Hoyt Protec and then Mathews SBXT.
Posted By: erich R - 07/21/21
Bad vision and went with a holographic sight. They even make a mount for bows.
Yes, yes, yes! to the verifier peep. It was a complete game changer for me. It was getting to where my pins were too fuzzy for me to aim properly. Now I'm back in the game!
Thanks all for the recommendations. It's frustrating me.
I bought a custom set of pins for my Spot Hogg Fast Eddie with 0.29 pins, top one red, bottom one green. It seems to have helped. And yes, I know, a tinier pin may be better at distance but my eyes are very happy with this setup.
Pins come in .10", .19", and .29"
Larger pins suffer from less halo but cover more target. So it's a trade off.
I can't see anything without my glasses. Also, I can't hit anything using open sights with them lol. i put an ez sight on my bow. Problem solved.
Put a red dot sight like a Vortex Venom. Problem solved
I am using "thumb adjustable" single pin 'green', you just move the pin to a numbered yardage scale on the side of the bow with yer thumb.
I don't remember the brand but there is several that make these. When I looked through the peep I would see all the pins in a blob.
Not any more. They work great & fast, I just leave it set at 25yds, if I need more I push up with my thumb a little until it says 30, 35,40 yds.
Originally Posted by kenacp

How do you mount it? Just curious.
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by kenacp

How do you mount it? Just curious.

I have the same question. I took apart an old Black Gold sight and fabricated a mount for a Vortex Venom and could not get anywhere close to adjusting the dot to point of impact.

If anyone has a sight bracket that works well for a red dot I would be very interested.
A string peep is a fuzzy blob for me with no definition as to where the center is and I've gone to a holographic/reflex sight.

Bow mount for scope/red dot/holographic from Amazon

Link
https://www.amazon.com/bestsight-Mount-Bracket-Green-Scope/dp/B01MPXIB77/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2NHT9PZEHJKZ4&dchild=1&keywords=bow+scope+mount&qid=1629733545&sprefix=scope+mount+for+a+bow%2Caps%2C697&sr=8-5

The Holographic/reflex sight I use has four reticles one of which is crosshairs with a circle the top of the post on the crosshair I set up for 20 yard, the center of the circle 30 yards and the bottom of the crosshair for 40 yards.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If you go this route be sure the holosight has all the adjustment on the left side or top as the right side of the sight is not accessible because of the riser.

Here's a link to the sight I'm using, I've tried a couple of others and because of the coatings the image is darker, fine for daylight but dim in the early morning.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR9FQWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm 60yrs old and use an Impact Archery Solo single pin with the clear housing and a small 3/8" kisser button. I removed my peep sight years ago and never looked back. I shoot with both eyes open and I have no problem with this setup. I have three anchor points, string touching my nose, kisser button and pointer finger knuckle under my ear lobe. Works for me.
I use a cross hair sight that will illuminate and has a 2 power magnification. works great for my poor eye sight.
I've been using a simple one pin sight for as far as I can remember. My bow is probably close to 30 years old now - not the fastest. I'm dead on at 20 yards and simply compensate for different distances.

Would a decent pair of bifocals help you? This way you would be able to maintain your original set up.

-Ken
What really helps is a smaller peep. Sounds bass-ackwards but the smaller peep focus' the light in the center of you eye better and clears up the pin(s).
© 24hourcampfire