Home
Posted By: Lawdwaz G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/08/23
Saw on another site that G Fred passed away. I read all I could of his back in the 80's and 90's and met him at Denton Hill back then too. I always admired him.....
Posted By: MagMarc Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/08/23
One of the icons of bowhunting. He was a true gentleman.
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/08/23
Good hunter, writer and man! Will be missed. He signed me up for P&Y 37 yrs ago.
Posted By: skeen Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/08/23
RIP
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/08/23
I had the opportunity to meet him and sling a few arrows with him at a traditional archery tournament in the early 90's. Very nice man, and a heck of an instinctive shooter. He did so much to develop and promote archery hunting. He will be missed.
Posted By: saddlering Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/08/23
Sorry to hear this met him a time or two, had his books. And have several plaid wool hunting pull overs, coats and vest.

that his wife makes. My favorite bow hunting cammo! R I P G Fred.
Posted By: bbassi Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/08/23
Yeah ETAR won't be the same without him. RIP Sir.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Saw on another site that G Fred passed away. I read all I could of his back in the 8's and 90's and met him at Denton Hill back then too. I always admired him.....

Well dang. RIP.

I attended two seminars he put on here in Colorado in the late 80's and early 90's. He put on a real show of accuracy--I don't think I could shoot that well if I practiced 6 hours a day every day.......

I have two buddies from Salida that bought bows from him him in the late 70's and are still hunting with them.
Posted By: jeeper Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
Read everything I saw written by him. He was one of the real deal trad even way back when.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
I had and hunted with two of his Colorado Bighorn recurves.....

circa 1990

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
I learned to shoot a recurve by reading instinctive shooting 1, he was an excellent story teller and instructor. RIP mr asbell.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
No one ever built a better recurve bow.

R. I. P. to a true giant in the world of traditional bowhunting.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
Super nice guy. I met him years ago at a show in Harrisburg.
I have signed copies of both of his books.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
RIP G. Fred ! The modern day Fred Bear.
Posted By: rost495 Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
Its a real shame to me that not every single bowhunter shoots traditional at some point, even if just on targets, just to have the feel of what it was. Kind of like everyone should shoot irons and real black powder and patched balls some.

I have his books. And he was instrumental when I started into the world of custom recurves like Brackenbury.

Condolences to family and all of his friends. He will be missed.
Posted By: pete53 Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/09/23
RIP
Posted By: hookeye Re: G Fred Asbell RIP - 01/10/23
Met him at Cloverdale in late 80s.
Originally an Indiana boy IIRC
Bud went to Blackwidow Clinic 20 something yrs ago and had Asbell sign a copy of TBM to me.

Bought his book at Cloverdale and passed it along to a new trad guy a few yrs back.
© 24hourcampfire