Home
Shot 70 pounds for years and even shot an 80 pound bow for several years. Decided to try a 65 pound model a couple years ago and I feel like it is the Goldilocks weight for me.

Mathews Vertix 31” DL

Plenty of speed and I’ve killed eight or nine deer with this set up. Mostly does but I did shoot one buck that weighed about 175 pounds. I’m shooting Black Eagle Rampage 350’s.

Anybody else shoot this weight?
I shot 70-75 for about 40 years. Then I switched to 62/63 pounds. It works just as well if not better cause I can shoot it more accurately.
I used a 60 pound bow with 31" draw length on my sheep hunt. Worked fine at 38 yards. And on my mature KS buck at 14 yards. Sticking with 60 for a bit I think. Using Black Eagle arrows from Black Ovis arrow builder myself.
I shot 70+ for years, then started shooting stick bows. Elbow injury came and I am settled on a 60# hoyt. Hopefully can start shooting trad also again soon.
Shot 60#'s for the last 20 years. Had/have shoulder issues last year and shot 50#. Shot right through a cow elk @ 35 yards. In the freezer just like the elk shot with heavier bows.
I shoot 65#.
I shoot 62-63. Plenty fast and I can shoot lots of practice without touching anything, then go hunt....
The 55#s shoot as fast as my old 70.
I think I read that two bows same brand and model same arrow , one 70# the other 65# , the 70# shot 5 fps faster.

I shoot a 60# wouldn't have any problem shooting deer w/a 50#.
Like most of you I’ve shot a 70lb for the last 20 years. 3 years ago I fell off a ladder at work and tore my rotator and labrum and broke a few ribs. Still wasn’t anywheres near strong enough by mid summer, but determined enough to bow hunt so I cranked it down about as far as I could get it, which was 54lb.
3 years later and it’s still at 54lb and the deer are just as dead. That’s where it’ll stay, unless I go out west for mule deer in a couple years. Then I may turn it back up some?
I like the 60-65# range. my biggest issue is on a let down, that process can aggravate a shoulder injury.
Originally Posted by centershot
Shot 60#'s for the last 20 years. Had/have shoulder issues last year and shot 50#. Shot right through a cow elk @ 35 yards. In the freezer just like the elk shot with heavier bows.

Yep. Might let a turn off my 61 lbs this year and shoot around 56 lbs. 50's get it done with ease , I actually like a little gap in my pins.
I started shooting 70 lbs in my late teens. Later purchased an assortment of bows ranging from 60 to 70 Lbs.

Roughly 5 years ago I settled on a smooth drawing 325 IBO 65 LB bow that was released 2 years prior. That 65lb draw CD 34 is still my go to bow & I hope it will be for years to come.
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
I started shooting 70 lbs in my late teens. Later purchased an assortment of bows ranging from 60 to 70 Lbs.

Roughly 5 years ago I settled on a smooth drawing 325 IBO 65 LB bow that was released 2 years prior. That 65lb draw CD 34 is still my go to bow & I hope it will be for years to come.

I can remember them years of 70 lb bows. Wasn't that long ago for me but I won't touch one now. My beat up old ass likes em 60 or less.
I shot 70 forever. When I bought my new one many moons ago I was having shoulder issues. I bought a 50-60# Matthews Switchback. Every deer I've shot has had a pass through with it. I can hold at full draw longer, shoot more accurately and have no issues drawing in the cold weather.
Originally Posted by BS2
The 55#s shoot as fast as my old 70.

There is that. I bought my daughter a Mission Archery for Christmas a number of years ago. She's an adult now, but still tiny, less than 100 pounds. IIRC, she's shooting about 50#. Granted my bow is probably 18 years old, hers is quieter and just as fast as mine at 60 pounds.
When determining bow draw weight, I suggest trying the poundage in the most contorted position which you may find yourself shooting in a hunting situation (for example, seated and twisted sideways like you are shooting behind a tree while sitting in a treestand). Do this preferably when you're not warmed up, if you'll be hunting in cold conditions. If the weight is too difficult to comfortably draw in those conditions, crank the weight down until it is comfortable.
Have seen too many guys show up with bows cranked up too high for them to shoot well in actual field conditions such as mentioned above. When questioned, most of their practice was shot standing, in nice conditions when their body was not stiff and uncomfortable from hours of sitting in a stand in the cold, or dehydrated in the heat of an antelope blind. Another example would be needing to hold the bow drawn for an extended period of time until an animal looked away.
I have been shooting 58# for about 10 years. In my late 40s now. In high school and shortly after I was shooting about 82-84# on a Golden Eagle and a Power Mag.

I haven't drawn over 62sh# for close to 20 years, no need to.
I always enjoy these threads. The lightest I've ever hunted with was a 42# Wing recurve 6 months after rupturing my bicep. I know lots of guys getting consistent pass throughs in the low 40s every year.

I think it's Stik that says it'd not the gun, it's the bullet?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by bbassi
I always enjoy these threads. The lightest I've ever hunted with was a 42# Wing recurve 6 months after rupturing my bicep. I know lots of guys getting consistent pass throughs in the low 40s every year.

That’s a great pic! Thanks for sharing. I recently got my first recurve.
Originally Posted by bbassi

Great pic!

I’ve never shot anything with more than a 50lb recurve, never not had a pass through with the 50 either. I shot a buck last year with my 40lb longbow and did not get a pass through. My fault for hitting the shoulder. It did break the knuckle joint and penetrate into the chest though so I guess it was enough. Heavy arrows and sharp two blades make up for poundage in the penetration department.
My compound is set at 70#. Before last season, I put it away and started hunting with a 45# recurve.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I have been shooting 58# for about 10 years. In my late 40s now. In high school and shortly after I was shooting about 82-84# on a Golden Eagle and a Power Mag.

I haven't drawn over 62sh# for close to 20 years, no need to.

I took one of mine from 74 to 62 the other day. It's amazing how easy it is to pull and how much more fun to shoot it is. I haven't shot much in a few years and shot it at least 100 shots the other day with no fatigue or soreness.

Not sure why I've been shooting heavier bows the last few years. I put a Magnus Stinger through a wildebeest about 15 years ago with an entry-level, 60-pound bow so it's definitely enough.
Couple years now with 60lb limbs on my Elite Enkore and I'm very pleased with the shoot ability and performance. As mentioned, heavier arrows and sharp broadheads!
I've got the same bow. My buddy who owns the best bowshot EVER convinced me that it would shoot the same arrow at the same speed as my old 70# Switchback. It probably does, and easier to draw, but much more "critical" in release.
Im only pulling like 63 or 64 measured, then again, this will only be my 3rd season back after not shooting a bow in almost 15 years. Will i go up to 70, im sure at some point. Looking at the math though, my equipment is still plenty rugged to take down anything I will be hunting with it.
I’m another that always shot 70# but at some point backed it down to 62 and it’s perfectly fine. Easier to shoot after being cold and sitting still for hours
© 24hourcampfire