Home
Posted By: hglass Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/15/07
I looked at and played with the "Guardian" and the "Drenalin". Both bows seem to fit me well. I have a 26 1/2" draw length. I need a bow that will be forgiving and allow the greatest speed.
Just my opinion - I feel that speed has prolly been the most over rated aspect of archery for the last couple of years. More a marketing ploy than anything else. Both bow will easily send an arrow 260fps which is more than enough for whitetail hunting. Not sure what your particular application is from the above post but either will be plenty. Pick the one you shoot the best (i.e. pick forgiving over speed). Any good pro shop will let you shoot each of the bows you are looking at.

Posted By: billg Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/15/07
hglass-- I believe both of those companies make a bow specifically designed for shorter draw lengths that have some pretty impressive speeds, even at 60lbs pull, might be worth looking into--Bill
Posted By: flyphishr Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/15/07
The longer the brace height the more forgiving the bow is. You need to shoot them both. Pick the one that feels and shoots the best for you. If they feel the same, you gotta go with the Mathews. grin
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/17/07
Speed is a marketing tool, ablbiet an over used one.
Speed is also good for flattening arrow flight and building energy. Its useful and shouldn't be over looked, nor should it be an overbearing criteria for purchase.

At industry standards, it's suggested that you will lose about 10 fps per inch of draw length under 30". So at 26.5" draw @ 70# you can expect to lose about 35 fps, right from the start. Everything you add to the string will slow it even more...peep, leeches, nock and so on. So, buying a bow that will give you a speed edge to start with is probably a good idea.

More important, in my view, is to buy a bow that works for you. In other words, one that fits you, is easy to shoot well and consistantly.

Buy arrows that are of proper spine and mid weight...not real light, nor heavy. That will give you your best overall accuracy and penetration on game.

My elk hunting pard and I shoot Hoyt Ultratecs @ 55#, 27.5 - 28" draw lengths and mid weight arrows of 378 (me) and 406 (him). Both are blowing arrows through broadside elk at close and long yardage. They are running 245 to 250 fps. Nothing stellar.

I suggest shooting as many bows as you can and letting the bow pick you. Then outfit it properly and simply work with the speed it gives you. BT
Posted By: Horsefly80 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/18/07
I have shot a Mathews XL for about 5 years now it is not the fast bow on the market or the most forgiving but it fits me well and I shoot it with confidence. I have never shot a Bow-tech before but I have heard many good things about them.

As for speed I shoot 73lbs at 29# draw with a 435gr arrow at 275fps. Not to bad works great on elk.
Posted By: kcm270 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/18/07
Both bows are plenty fast. I'm drawing 26.5" with my Switchback XT, and the arrows get there with authority.
Posted By: flatpicker Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/21/07
I'm just curious as to whether you chronographed your bow or if the speed you posted is estimated?
Originally Posted by Horsefly80
I have shot a Mathews XL for about 5 years now it is not the fast bow on the market or the most forgiving but it fits me well and I shoot it with confidence. I have never shot a Bow-tech before but I have heard many good things about them.

As for speed I shoot 73lbs at 29# draw with a 435gr arrow at 275fps. Not to bad works great on elk.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/21/07
Botha are great bows and I have 1-of each, but I say Bowtech! My reason is smoother, faster by chrony and last I can hold it back alot longer!
i dont think speed and forgiving go in the same sentence when talking bows. i like my mathews solocam just fine! it is a Q2.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/21/07
Speed in bows is as overrated as speed in bullets. It's all about which bow (or gun) you can shoot the most accurately.

I shot quite a few a few years back and settled on the Bowtech "Patriot".
Posted By: Teal Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/22/07
Last bow I bought was a Mathews SQ2. EXCELLENT bow all the way around. Were I to buy a new one only 2 choices for me Mathews and Hoyt.
Posted By: Horsefly80 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 03/22/07
I chronographed my bow at the archery shop from 10 yards.

Originally Posted by flatpicker
I'm just curious as to whether you chronographed your bow or if the speed you posted is estimated?
Originally Posted by Horsefly80

Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/08/07
Mathews, period........................547.
Posted By: duxndogs Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/14/07
Upgraded my 15 year old bow last year and after shooting a lot of brands I came down to the same decision you face, BowTech vs Matthews, I went with the Matthews and have to say I've been very happy with it.
Posted By: JoeK Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/15/07
Did you shoot them? If not, do so. The right bow will "speak" to you.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/15/07
Like Ford or Chevy test'um and pick the one that feels best to YOU.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/18/07
Originally Posted by JoeK
Did you shoot them? If not, do so. The right bow will "speak" to you.

+1 - it's still fun to ponder though.... laugh
Posted By: Enrique Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/18/07
Try Archery Research. Those bows are made by PSE and are really fast. Of the two you mentioned, you could not go wrong with either. Know people who own both and they each think theirs is the best brand.
I would go with Bowtech myself, just preference. Then again I own an AR bow.

Kique
I shoot Mathews. i cant shoot worth a hell, but good enough to put one in the boiler room on a shot i am comfortable with.
Posted By: elkcreek Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/19/07
Kind of like Acura vs. Lexus. Both will do the job in style.
Posted By: JBB111 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/20/07
I have both a Mathews Switchback XT and a Bowtech Allegiance. I have also shot both the bows you mentioned. I'm a 28" draw. Both are quality bows and companies. I will say that my mathews is my back up because it's so much slower(17-20 fps)with the same arrow and set up. Speed may not be everything but the shorter the draw the more important it becomes IMO. Speed and arrow weight equal KE and that matters. The numbers never lie. If you can shoot just as well and they are both quality quiet bows then why would you not want the speed. It certainly can't hurt. The bottom line is it gives you more options. (arrow weights, broad heads, KE)
Posted By: passport Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/20/07
I was where you are 2 years ago.........

I really wanted a mathews but thought I had better shoot a bowtech and I found the bowtech was WAY BETTER. Much faster and way smoother. I went with the bowtech and have no issues what so ever.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 04/22/07
Definitely shoot them and others. PSE, Hoyt as well as others make great bows as well. Shoot as many as you can. Like others have said, one will speak to you. I shot a pile of them one afternoon and I picked the PSE Vengence. I love it. Flinch
Posted By: c j Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 05/27/07
BowTech.

Mathews makes quality bows, but IMO, BowTechs are more impressive. They're a step ahead of the industry in technology & innovation. (e.g. binary cam system, center limb pivot, etc.)

Possibly the best buy for the money might be the new Bears, though.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 05/27/07
Originally Posted by JBB111
I will say that my mathews is my back up because it's so much slower(17-20 fps)with the same arrow and set up.

There was no wink or blush or whistle so I can't tell if it was a serious comment or not. I hope not..... cool
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 05/27/07
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by JBB111
I will say that my mathews is my back up because it's so much slower(17-20 fps)with the same arrow and set up.

There was no wink or blush or whistle so I can't tell if it was a serious comment or not. I hope not..... cool

Probably was serious! 17-20 fps aint a hill of beans to worry about......listen, I was there on the velocity race......now I would give up velocity anyday to achive accuracy......what good does it do to miss an animal at 300+ fps when you can could have hit it at 200fps.
I have a friend that shoots aluminum arrows somewhat near 500 grains including broadhead at the astounding velocity of 210 fps.....you know what! he seems to always have complete blow throughs (aint that what were after with bows afterall?)
then on the other end of the spectrum we have (I wont say who....its a family member)that has to have a Bowtech allegience (90lb) model because he says..."I never get blow throughs".
He was shooting carbon arrows of 385 grains at 320 fps, and guess what...he shot a nice buck last year at 25 yds and DID NOT HAVE BLOW THROUGH.....ever wonder why?...(oh by the way he lost that buck) now he hates that bow because later on in the year he could not even draw all those "wonderful" 90 lbs on 2 seperate deer because of all his cold weather clothing.....DUH!
Just worry shot placement and good sharp broadheads, dont take any stupid looong shots and ANY reasonable bow will do just fine, as long as you practice with it.
Posted By: Uncas Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 05/27/07
Well, the use to be last new bow I had was a Dan Quillon Longhunter, a 70 lber, (1992)then one day at the Bowshop...the owner got a Bowtech 60lb long, smooth target type bow, ordered by mistake he was in a dealing mood so as no tot send the bow back.. Sweet. So, I kinda had a .45 the shop owner wanted ...Shot that bow, fingers, feathers instinct-way for a few seasons. Simply fabulous. Then in Iowa, I worked at a Matthews dealer so had to shoot one in public, a Conquest 60 lb (just like the Bowtech target bow). The Matthews was more quiet, but I still liked the Bowtech,just a little smoother, maybe, kinda, would be happy ever after with either. But you dance with who brung you, so I shoot all Matthews all the time now. The Bowtech went on the used rack and it brought a small fortune to me and the new owner is pleased as well. Fine product and companies both, truthfully. Bill
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 06/02/07
Ive owned 5 MATHEWS bows and 4 AR bows no complaints I liked em all. Ive never owned a BOWTECH but I have a friend who shoots BOWTECHs and he loves em, Ive shot a few of his bows and the BOWTECHS dont seem hardly as forgiving as either MATHEWS or ARs but I will say this the BOWTECHS Ive shot are extremely fast. Go out to some archery shops and try em out for yourself most good dealers will let you shoot their bows............good luck!........................547.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 06/02/07
hg,

One question I'm not sure anyone has asked - Are you shooting fingers or release?

If you're shooting fingers buy a longer bow (as measured axel to axel). You don't want all the finger pinch associated with the shorter bows today. If I was going to shoot fingers, I'd look hard at the Mathews Ovation.

As for release bows, I just bought a Mathews Switchback. Looked at PSE, Hoyt, Martin, Mathews. For me it was Mathews hands down. I never looked at a Bowtech.

I'm just coming back to compounds after 15 years of shooting and making recurves. Things have changed - alot. My Switchback is very forgiving compared to what I was used to 15 years ago - and -zero- handshock.

I'm not sure about the speed thing - nor do I care. I shot 10 bucks in 10 years using 60-70 lb recurves, 500+gr arrows traveling a whopping 175-195 ft/sec. Shot through almost everyone.

I can tell you this: my Switchback is set on 50lbs, I'm shooting 29" Blackhawk Vapors with a 100 gr field point (382 gr total) and I can't see them in flight - even at 50 yards.

Buy the one that feels the best, go forth and slay critters.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 06/03/07

I've had a Mathews Q2 since 2001 and it's been a really nice shooting bow. I've got a 27.5" draw and it's in the 260ish fps range. I happened to shoot a friend's Bowtech a couple of years ago with a too-long draw length and it was a really comfortable and accurate rig.

If I ever replace my Q2, the Bowtech will absolutely be given a LOT of consideration before I make a final decision... This is not a Mathews bash, but be sure to give the Bowtech a good hard look.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 06/04/07
You could always skip the Ford and the Chevy brands and go with the work horse PSE wink I'm digging my new PSE Vengence. No problem busting elk or deer from nearly any angle (within reason). I like a 450 grain arrow at 276 fps. It is simply amazing.

Actually, there aren't any bad bows out now days. They all make great bows, but many fit each individual differently. Oh and none of the ones I have chronographed have reached their advertised speeds by a long shot, so don't go by the factory figures or IBO speeds. They really are meaningless figures. They are as optomistic as most ammo makers. Like others have said, shoot as many bows as you can and keep and open mind. Don't think about speed at all when you shoot them. Think about the smoothness, quietness, accuracy etc. Flinch
Posted By: Bigtime Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/17/07
It all depends. Is money an object, Is speed an object, Is weight an object, I could go on and on. Everybody shoots and feels bows differently. Personally, if I were you I would not get persuaded by anyone and shoot them both and see what's more comfortable to you. Now if your wanting my opinion and money is no object i would shoot the Drenalin. If money is an object I would go with the Diamond Black ice made by Bowtech. Just my two or three cents.

Good luck,
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/18/07
Since I picked up my new Drenalin today (and accompanying hat and window sticker), I'd have to say............Mathews. grin

Seriously though, you owe it to yourself to go fire several examples from both companies before you make a decision. I don't think there are any wrong answers in the top tier stuff, and it's your money that you'll be spending.
Posted By: Moonkryket Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/19/07
Bowtechs will shoot about 15 fps faster at the same draw weight and draw length and I've never shot more accurate bows and more comfortable for my shooting style. I sold my Mathews SB. I feel that there is some magic in those BowTech Binary cams :-)
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/19/07
I had to look at "the whole picture," which includes the dealer. I'm happy with my decision, but if my dealer also sold Bowtech (which he used to) I might have had to sweat the decision a little longer. I really liked the Bowtechs I fired too.
Posted By: statelinerut Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/21/07
Do yourself a favor and take a look at the new Alpine Archery bows for 2007. Buddy of mine just got one. Watched him crony it at the archery shop and here is his setup. 27" draw @ 65 pounds shooting a 75 grain muzzy. 295fps!. Also $100 less than the Mathews. Take a look a them for your short draw length it just may be the ticket.
Posted By: statelinerut Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/21/07
I shoot a Mathews Outback with 29" draw @ 70#. With 75 grain Muzzy's I am getting 290fps. I am in the 3" circle with one pin all the way put to 35 yards. This will enable me to use one pin for all of my stand locations. This is one instance where I think speed is important.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/26/07
As many others have said, be fair to yourself and try several brands. Everybody here could recommend the exact same brand and then when you went to try it, you may hate it. Don't get caught up in marketing or image. Find what feels best. If you follow advice given here about trying several brands, go to a couple of shops. You will find that shops within close geographic proximity carry different brands. I own or have owned recently, Mathews, Bowtech, Matin, Ross, PSE and Bear. The low-end model of each of those brands is head and shoulders above any high-end bow of those brands from 5 or more years ago.

Personally, without using chronographs and other such devices, My Mathews, Bowtech and Ross shoot almost identically. Assuming my previous statement as true, I would buy a Ross solely for the fact, in my opinion, you get identical performance at $100 to $150 less, depending on where you shop. I think that Ross' price is a function of Ross trying to expand their market share. In the not too distant future, they will be priced up there with the more established brands.
Posted By: fixitquick79 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/28/07
I went from a 15yo browning to a new Mathews Drenalin. I shot 28" at 65 lbs and I get 257 but that is with fairly heavy arrow and 2 nocks a loop a kisser and a tru-peep with a whisker biscuit rest. planty fast for me and draws and shoots like a dream. I have so much more confidence in my equipment. I shot all the main brands and found the Hoyt to draw too hard. The bowtech had a fairly hard draw also but also just did not fit me real well.
Posted By: jprice Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 07/28/07
I wish the optics forum could be this civil. Great post everyone seems to give the same advice: try them all and see which fits you the best!
Ford or Chevy?

joe
Posted By: SKane Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 08/13/07
hglass-

Both are fantastic bows. Anyone that tells you one is superior to the other is FOS. Ford. Chevy. Ford. Chevy.

All things being equal - and they pretty much are in this situation, you need go with which one feels better in your hands, which seems to have the smoother draw cycle and better "shootability".

Don't buy it based on FPS, buy it based on your gut. And don't buy because of handful of pro-staffers that get paid, or at the very least get free gear out it, tell you that it's the best.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 08/16/07
I also recently tried both the Guardian and the Drenalin, Both were no doubt quality bows but in my opinion it wasnt even close the Bowtech blew the Mathews Drenalin away I thought the draw cycle on the Drenalin sucked and I never have been a big fan of that huge Mathews grip. I shoot a Mathews Switchback LD now and to me it has the best draw cycle going but its still got that huge Mathews grip. The Bowtech Guardain has a good (Not great)drawcycle but I love the grip, so overall I think the Guardian is the best hunting bow Ive handled this year and Im thinking about laying out $800.00 to try one out in the deer woods this fall.............Good luck............547.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 08/17/07
Originally Posted by statelinerut
I am in the 3" circle with one pin all the way put to 35 yards.

At 290, I doubt you are in a 3" circle out to 35 yards with one pin.

6" maybe...
Posted By: 358Thumper Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 08/17/07
The only answer I have to this is every shooter fits every bow different. As long as you pick a reputable maker just go with the bow that fits you best. The last time I bought a bow Mathews had just come out with the SQ2 , just because it was touted as THE BEST at the time isn't enough reason for me to walk out with it. I ended up with the MQ32 Mathews discontinued model at the time. It just plain fit ME better. Forget about speed, forget about image, forget about what the bow mags say is the best, forget about what your buddy says is the best. Go with what fits you and what you shoot well cause the game animal doesn't care if you have the latest and greatest.

Posted By: SKane Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 08/17/07
Originally Posted by encorerb
The only answer I have to this is every shooter fits every bow different. As long as you pick a reputable maker just go with the bow that fits you best. The last time I bought a bow Mathews had just come out with the SQ2 , just because it was touted as THE BEST at the time isn't enough reason for me to walk out with it. I ended up with the MQ32 Mathews discontinued model at the time. It just plain fit ME better. Forget about speed, forget about image, forget about what the bow mags say is the best, forget about what your buddy says is the best. Go with what fits you and what you shoot well cause the game animal doesn't care if you have the latest and greatest.

Them's words to live by - spot on, dood.

sk
Posted By: 24_7 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/09/07
Bought a Diamond Rapture today so I would have to say Bowtech.
Posted By: G5Striker Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/09/07
Both are great bows......

But its: "Beauty in the eye of the Bowholder"
Posted By: rob p Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/10/07
I had a Switchback, and sold it for an Allegiance. My friends sold or gave away their Darton's for the same. I will say this about Matthews. My bowstrings lasted about three months. A lot of archers say after market strings like Winner's Choice or Crackers are a must. I needed to shorten my draw to use a string loop, and it cost me $125 for a new cam. The Bowtech comes with a better string, and you can change drawlength with modules which were free from my dealer. Also, with the same draw length, weight, and arrows, my Allegiance is 30 feet per second faster than my Switchback was.
One of the things not mentioned yet is bow weight. I still hunt(hanging off of tree scares me too much)and there is big difference in weights of bow (especially after you put a quiver and extra arrows on them). The bow I went with a Mathews FX (this was about 6 years ago). At that time it was about the least expensive Mathews bow, but also one of the lightest and fastest. The archery dealer, Black Hills Archery, let me try some of the bows and, for me, nothing felt as "right" as the FX. I've tried some of the newer ones last summer, such as the Switchback, but nothing fits me like the FX.

So, depending on how you hunt, you might want to consider bow weight.
Posted By: les7mm Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/12/07
hoyt is the best....
Posted By: benp Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/13/07
A really good buddy of mine just went through this exact same situation.

27" draw and he wanted my opinion on today's latest and greatest. I told him that I'm still stuck on my XI's , so I will not be much help with todays latest stuff.

But, my advice was get the one that feels the best to you. Your initial impression when you grab that bow by the grip, and shoot them all.

Shoot them all he did. He just left my house with his new Bowtech Tribute and he ran down the list of what he liked and didnt like about every bow he has shot in this pursuit.

Just take your time and dont get all wrapped up in the hoopla.

End result is that YOU are going to be the one shooting bow.

Good luck.

Posted By: sgt217 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/13/07
Hoyt....
Posted By: bea175 Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/14/07
Both good bows, but Mathews is better than the Bowtech and the clear winner in my opinion. Mathews leads the way with Bowtech trying to catch up.
Posted By: munchie Re: Bowtech or Mathews?? - 09/14/07
I went to my shop thw other day to get a new bow. I was sure I was going to get the Guardian or Tribute, but I shot the Drenalin and switchback also. The owner went to the back and brought out an Elite Archery Synergy. After a couple hours of shooting the different bows, I left with a new Elite. Buy what feels best for you, not just a name.
© 24hourcampfire