Home
Posted By: tbear99 recurve bows - 01/06/09
Ok last year i asked about a best compound bow question.And somebody suggested to me a good modern recurve bow.I searched for thread but can't find so i'm asking who's making good modern recurve bows.Which brand and why that brand or particular bow
Posted By: MagMarc Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
It depends on what you want. Martin makes a good basic factory bow. Black Widow makes a semi custom very good factory bow. There are several master craftsmen that make works of art one at time built to your exact specs. I shoot Schafer Silvertips. All of them are beginning to be priced completely out of reason.
Posted By: Dogger Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
I shoot the Predator by Hunter's Niche.

http://www.huntersniche.com/predator_bows.htm
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
I'll second the Martin bows. They're still made by Dammon-Howatt under the Martin name.
I shot a DH hunter (my dad still has it, 1970s vintage).
I also have a Mamba, a Super-D, and an X-200.

The Mamba is my favorite, the Hunter probably is a little more forgiving. They are very nice bows.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
Originally Posted by MagMarc
It depends on what you want. Martin makes a good basic factory bow. Black Widow makes a semi custom very good factory bow. There are several master craftsmen that make works of art one at time built to your exact specs. I shoot Schafer Silvertips. All of them are beginning to be priced completely out of reason.

What he said.
Posted By: bender Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
Another vote for the Dammon - Howatt/ Martin. They were the Cadillacs of the factory bows when recurves were the big thing. I don't see how you could go wrong with anything by Bear either. The only thing I would caution you about , is to not get caught up in the short bow idea. They are handy, but aren't as easy to shoot as a 58 - 60" bow. Under 52" they begin to pinch fingers pretty bad for me. Another thing, though you are probably aware of it, is to use feathers instead of solid vanes.
Posted By: timat46 Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
www.blacktailbows.com I don't have one yet but hope to soon,and the prices seem reasonable Tim
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
Checkmate.

Marc makes modern recurves at some of the most reasonable prices out there, perhaps the best in that regard.

He's a superb craftsman. Fit and finish and overall appearance are second to none. He's been at it long enough and tweaked his designs along the way so as to get the best performance possible for various draw lengths. I've never heard a bad word about the man or his bows.

If money isn't an issue, as stated above, there's lots of fine bowyers out there building custom products.

I highly recommend Steve Quinton of IBEX bows, River's Edge Recurves, Bob Morrison and.... well, the list just goes on and on.

Few years ago bought the little lady a river's edge recurve take down built to her specs. 8 months waiting period and 650 dollars later and we couldn't be happier. A superb hunting tool as beautiful as it is effecient and effective. I'll try to post a couple pics later. Purpleheart and zebrawood.

Browse around this site and use the search function.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM
[Linked Image]
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/l...d=185222&messages=109&CATEGORY=3

Here's an ongoing thread. Someone asked "what you would buy". Over a hundred posts. Makes for a good list of bowyers to look into.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
SKY if you can find one. You can spend more money on other bows but you won't get a better bow.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
thanx guys i appreciate this as i'm more instinct shooter and better without sights i thought this might be the way to try.I'm guessing these different manufactures offer southpaw also
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
all the customs will. Martin (DH) has always been very good about marketing LH recurves (obviously all of mine are).
tbear, I would buy a used bow for starters, you can save a hefty sum of money. Martin is great bow that shoots well for the cost. Also drop down several pounds from a compound, it will make the transition easier and your draw length will shorten some also. The last time I shot a wheel bow 20 years ago I was shooting 75#, I have settled at around 60 now.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
well actually i never ended up buying a compound so i'm square one i did shoot a mathews 3 seperate ocasions but never bought anything yet
Posted By: bender Re: recurve bows - 01/06/09
Never forget to check out yard sales, pawn shops, etc. Two years ago, I picked up a pristine 55# Bear Kodiak Magnum left hand for $5.00. He had a good condition r/h Ben Pearson 35# for $3.00. I gave that one to my son! They sure are fun to shoot!
Check out Lamont at The Footed Shaft. He keeps a good stock of used bows and is just a decent guy all the way around. Click on the used bows.
http://www.users.qwest.net/~footedshaft/
Posted By: MnFn Re: recurve bows - 01/07/09
Check out Kota bows, as well. I have a recurve from them and like it. Plus it won't break the bank. Some of these customs get very expensive.
Stykbows.com is another place to look. You can typically get a very nice bow - some slightly used for probably about half of a new one.
Also check out Tradgang.com . They have a list of custom bowyers that will provide you with just about any style you could want.
Gary
Posted By: Ruger # 1 Re: recurve bows - 01/07/09
I think its been said already, but no matter what you choose, don't overbow yourself.This is the most common mistake, and probably the most detrimental.If you are new to recurves,45-50 lbs is about as high as you want to go.40-45 would be ideal.
Posted By: Oregonyotebuster Re: recurve bows - 01/08/09
All the one listed here are great. Brackenbury or Wes wallace are my 2 favorites. Norm Johnson of Black tail bows is superb if you do not mind the 13 month wait period!! All depend on style and budget.
Posted By: Lee24 Re: recurve bows - 01/08/09
Jeffery Archery builds light recurves and longbows, takedowns, custom bows of all types.
Owen Jeffery worked for several of the greats, and designed many of the great Bear bows.

Son Tom is also a champion archer and their shop is a hangout and mecca for bowhunters.

www.jefferyarchery.com/
Posted By: tbear99 Re: recurve bows - 01/08/09
thanks for the re[lys looks like i have a few to check out
Posted By: Cacciatore Re: recurve bows - 01/21/09
I bought a Martin Hatfield #55 a few years back and it has always been good to me. I love shooting it with some 500+ grain arrows.

Posted By: catsranger Re: recurve bows - 01/23/09
A good way to try some bows out is to go to a Traditional Archery rendevous. Most shoots have lots of vendors and bow makers there that will let you shoot their bows and give you advice on what you may looking for. Pick up a copy of Traditional Bowhunter magazine, lots of info there. Your upstate NY as I am in NY too, Denton Hill PA archery rendevous last part of July gets alot of folks from the NE. Look over the yard sales, etc. in the spring and also ask around. Lots of folks have a stick bow around they don't want anymore for various reasons. I did last spring and my neighbor GAVE me an original Howatt recurve basically unused that he said he couldn't shoot anymore. Good luck!
Posted By: MickeyD Re: recurve bows - 01/24/09
Anyone of the following would be superb.
Blactail Elite VL, Morrison Cheyenne or ILF, Robertson Stykbow, Schafer Silvertip.
Very expensive and you can have a considerable wait to get one, but darn well worth it!

-Mike-
Posted By: tomk Re: recurve bows - 01/24/09
That is good advice catsranger.

At the rendevous, a guy could look the long bows over, too...;
Posted By: BradArnett Re: recurve bows - 01/24/09
I'm shooting a Wes Wallace "Mentor" Takedown built with a Cocobolo riser. It really is a finely crafted piece of work. On a side note, I just about died when I looked at the prices on his website. I couldn't even buy a set of limbs at the current price for what I paid for the complete bow about 14 years ago.

http://www.weswallacebows.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=recurves.mentor

Wow...

Who was that guy who said something like "any old stick will make a bow, its the arrow"...

"Witchery of Archery" maybe, don't remember.

A friend and I glued up some bows that shot pretty well and some were pretty fast relative to their kind. Mine kinda looked like a dowel with a finish...

Were I just starting to shoot sticks, would buy a moderately priced bow and save the bigger bucks for a later expenditure along the learning curve.

I should've added that I bought that bow off the original owner....I didn't have it built for me.

Tom, do you go to the Traditional Bowhunters Expo in Kalamazoo? I usually make the drive with my brother but don't know if we'll make it this year.

At the show last year I shot a bunch of bows (there were something like 100 bowyers on site) and the one that stood out in my hands that I shot very well was a "Super Shrew Little Favorite" from Ron Laclair. I would really like to save my pennies and pick one up.....but it's been hard to save any pennies lately. LOL.
I haven't gone to anything for years. Used to be focus #1 and I'd shoot instinctive year round to stay up with it....now am a lazy ass and shoot rifle for fun.

The only bow that I have left (besides the trash we made) is a rawhide backed Yew longbow. I don't remember who built it but it is a beautiful thing to look at and to shoot. Whoever it was, returned some of the money I paid for it. I aked him why, and he said it was because his advertised price was marked up to keep from making more bows than he wanted too. smile

I probably should go and take my son. When is it?
Tom, it's actually next weekend. Here's a link.

http://www.tradbow.com/public/mgcal.cfm?calID=1&caldate=1/30/2009
Yikes...they don't have them outside anymore? smile

Appreciate the info, Brad.
Your welcome Tom, and it's all indoors...even the range.
Posted By: Jerry475 Re: recurve bows - 01/25/09
I have been shooting a Blackwidow for about 20years a few years ago I got a Trailsend by Dale Dye great bow, looks and performance. If you are close to Michigan the tradition archery get together is the last weekend in January at the Kalamazoo fair grounds. You will se alot of bows and makers
Posted By: BigBoreFan Re: recurve bows - 01/25/09
The Trad-Tech bows are coming on strong from Lancaster Archery. I have a friend, who shot in college with the owner of Lancaster Archery. He also got me into recurves. A lot of the ultra tradionalist have purchased the new Trad-Tech bows. I am still hanging on to an old Bear Bow and a Hummingbird by Ben Graham. I just love fancy custom wood. I have been to several traditional bow shoots and I have never seen such a friendly group of people.
© 24hourcampfire