Home
Posted By: GAP243 Thinking about a recurve - 07/24/11
I have been thinking about getting a recurve bow, been hunting with a Bowtech for years and looking to try the traditional thing. I have been reading about the 3 Rivers Archery Dalaa and the Bear Super Grizzly. Has anyone had any experience with either good or bad? Should I look at foam core limbs or wood core? Any info would be great.
Thanks
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/24/11
Dude......

Look for an old Grayling Bear on EBAY, or a pre chinese Martin to start out with. Both were great bows, made in the states by real craftsmen. Both will shoot not too far off the speeds you'd see with olympic limbs on ILF risers.

Since it'd be your first recurve, and if you take to it you'll buy a bigger badder assed one later, get something around 45-50 Lbs so you can shoot tons and learn form.

OR, buy one of Neil's new ILF risers and go that route. ( http://www.bpbows.com/modules/content/index.php?id=1 ) Its easy to move limbs for them on various archery forums. Then you've got flexibility for sure... Rock one set of 45-50 pound limbs for practice, and throw on a set of 60 pounders that are wicked fast for killing anything on the planet.

I will tell you that shooting a recurve is a commitment. You're going to have to stick with it a while and be patient. Its not anything like a compound, and if you ever get where you're busting nocks all the time at 30 yards with a stickbow, join the Olympic team.
Posted By: WI_Canner Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/24/11
No offense to the Dalaa, but go the Grizzly route. I started with a '71 Grizzly @ 50 Lbs. A very smooth shooting bow, which can build confidence. I have always purchased good used bows, as there are so many available at reduced pricing.
Posted By: Scott Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/25/11
I'll echo the above. Go used Bear, Martin, Wing, etc in light weight to learn form. Find other trad shooters in your area to pick there brain on setup.
Tradgang.com has a good classifieds and good people for advice.
Posted By: Naphtali Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/25/11
Perhaps I am more cautious or conservative than most. Before investing in so different of a bow design - I have ONLY DAS Master Hunters - I suggest you try several different recurves, by brand, by riser length, by limb/overall bow length - you get the idea.

My thought is to sample a variety because while short bows are convenient, some archers find them more finicky to shoot. While longer limb sets may appear to propel arrows more consistently, excessive length may be - well - excessive on the hunt. Metal and wood risers feel and shoot differently from each other (I strongly prefer DAS's metal 17-inch risers of which I have too many?).

In the real world I question whether the superiority of foam core limb sets is significant compared with high-quality carbon/maple limb sets. And the question becomes more significant as your shooting weather degrades. Very cold temperatures favor the stability of carbon/maple limbs.

And if you are accustomed to using a release aid, you may want to check into two variations:
- Free Flight C-12 relax release (discontinued??) is a more instinctive aid than most others as it reduces your perceived draw weight by orienting muscles of your draw arm.

- Thumb ring is, in my experience, nearly a release aid - albeit much quicker and easier to use. Its main quirk is that it is more efficient when your bow is [intended for the] opposite hand - that is, if you normally shoot right-handed, thumb ring will work better were you shooting a left-handed riser.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Ruger # 1 Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/25/11
If you're going with a production bow,I'd look into a Martin/Howatt.Find a Hunter and have at it.The new bears are sketchy in quality,although I hear they are trying to improve that.The Dalaa, to me, is ugly as sin.If I want an ugly bow, I'll shoot a compound.
Martin Hatfield used to be a pretty good bow. I used to build custom take-downs. If you go that route you have the option of a couple (or more) sets of limbs. It may save money in the long run.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/26/11
I have a RH Bear Grizzly with the stringer in my garage that is older, but in good working condition and new hair rest, 50-lbs. If you want I will send it to you for $100 so you can try it and not be out much. Just an offer, I do not use it anymore.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had this one made 16 years ago. Really solid and smooth shooter.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/26/11
Thinking those Missouri boys know how to turn out a bow. Still kicking that around for next year.
I wont be getting rid of mine anytime soon....works of art, they are.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/26/11
Pat,
Are you shooting Fastflight with fingers out of a 75# bow? You must have some tough fingers!
Posted By: GAP243 Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/27/11
Thanks for the input guys, I am starting to lean towards the bear over the dalaa. I have shot recurves before but it has been quite some time.
Scenarshooter I really like that Blackwidow bow, beautiful. What model is that?

Anyway thanks for the input.
Originally Posted by GAP243
Thanks for the input guys, I am starting to lean towards the bear over the dalaa. I have shot recurves before but it has been quite some time.
Scenarshooter I really like that Blackwidow bow, beautiful. What model is that?

Anyway thanks for the input.

That one is a "Graybark".
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Pat,
Are you shooting Fastflight with fingers out of a 75# bow? You must have some tough fingers!

I'm good for about 30 to 35 practice arrows per day...Someday I'll need lighter limbs..

[Linked Image]

Nasty cutter...always liked hand sharpening these old Zwickys.
Posted By: mtcurman Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/27/11
Nice bow and VERY nice broadheads Pat! Dad and Mom use nuthin' but Zwickeys, and have for over 25 years. cool There's lot's of dead stuff in our house thanks to Zwickeys!
Posted By: TysonT Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/27/11
I met the previous owner of Black Widow bows at a traditional bow expo in my area, as well as one of the 3 current owners. They are an awesome company, as are many traditional bow companies.

Anyway, if your not willing to throw down the money for a high end bow, I would jump all over the $100 Grizzly offer, I have 2 of these bows (one set up to bow fish, a 1976 model which has been refinished) and a 1978 model which is all original. They both shoot awesome and I paid right in the $100 range for each of them.

I also have a Hoyt Pro hunter, Sky brand Hunter Supreme(made my Earl Hoyt Jr.), and a Hoyt Game getter II. I can't say I dislike any of them, I love Bear traditional bows more, but just can't afford most of them, especially the original "old school" models. So I go to Hoyt instead (also a Hoyt Compound shooter, I'm not actually a traditionalis at heart).
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/27/11
Comparing a Dalaa to a Bear Grizzly is like comparing a VW bug to a Porsche Turbo Carerra

I've owned close to 40 custom recurves over the years - Widows, Schafers, Morrisons, Palmers, Big Horn, Wallace, Fedora, Johnson, Horn, etc etc.

Until you've shot a metal riser bow like a DAS or Tech with carbon foam limbs you won't appreciate how versatile, quiet, smooth drawing and accurate a recurve can be.

I have shot most trad bows made. Nothing comes close to Dan Toelke's bows. You can spend more or less but you won't get better.

www.MontanaBows.com
Posted By: Tim M Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/28/11
i have used a brown recluse bow for close to twenty years and bought an acadian woods bow last year. i can recommend both. the acadian woods bows are beautiful pieces of work and extremely light in the hand.
Of the two you mentioned, the Dalaa will exceed the Grizzly in performance.

Better yet, try a Tradtech Titan in a true ILF design.

Personally I don't like metal risered takedown bows all that much, but they definitely have a few advantages.

I love OLD Bears but they aren't exactly speed demons, just solid and dependable.

Good luck in your quest. Trad bows put the fun back into archery.
If you can afford to spend some time hitting yard/garage sales you can eventually come across something well worth the money. I have two Bear, Grayling bows, a Kodiak and Black Bear. Got $85.00 in both of them and the Black Bear had a half dozen old Pearson cedar arrows with it...still in the original box with those huge, perforated two blade braodheads such as I started with back in the mid 60's.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/29/11
I have a PSE Impala laying around doing nothing if your interested?
Posted By: awahlert Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/29/11
I Shoot a black widow PA one-piece autom oak cross grain and love it, but i understand not wanting to spend the money, it was acually my first traditional bow, but mainlly because I live about 40 minutes from there headquarters in nixa, MO so Ive been drooling over a black widow my whole life, also you cant beet the owners of black widow they are some of the nicest good christian guys Ive ever met

If u want a well priced bow I really like the Martin hunter its a good hunting bow and is also not that bad looking, My opinion the martins have always seemed smoother than the bears but if u find a bear that cheap seems to be a good buy to me, also if you look around on the internet I have seen some new martins pop-up for around 400
Posted By: awahlert Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/29/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture widowboar.jpg
Attached picture blackwidow.jpg
Attached picture bwboar.jpg
Couple of things to remember when starting out Trad shooting. First get a bow lighter than you think you need. 30-35# for an average size guy will work you much harder than a 70# compound. Second get a bow longer than you think you need 62-64" bows are smoother and easier on the fingers. Third don't spend much money on your first bow. You may not like it and if you do you will likly be wanting a different bow within a couple months anyway. I highly recommend "Shooting the STickbow" for all new shooters - $20 from amazon and the text book for trad shooting. Good Luck with it.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/29/11
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I have shot most trad bows made. Nothing comes close to Dan Toelke's bows. You can spend more or less but you won't get better.

www.MontanaBows.com

Dan makes a damn great longbow. Truth is, out of all the guys building LBs (and I've shot just about all of them including ACS bows) I'd pick Dan everytime. But his recurves suck.

Then there's Schafer Silvertips.... They are hands down the best takedown recurve on the market, and I'll never be without at least one of Dave's bows. Stable, fast, smooth, and quiet all in one. Think of it as a Widow, with the limbs on the right side of the bow, that doesn't have that twang when you dump the string laugh Dave's longbows have never impressed me...

Pat, you never fail to suprise me... Never figured you for a trad guy... My brother's Schafer, "Double Haul", has one set of limbs that are 73# at 27" and the other set of limbs is 55 at 27" The same arrows through the screens, and the 73#ers are 8 FPS faster is all. Heavy limbs these days is a lifestyle choice. I'm a little jealous of guys that can tug 'em though. 3 AC seperations in my left shoulder means I get to shoot 60# limbs, and thats it. You need to hit the Barber Ranch shoot down on the Hungry Hollow Road next year. I'll be there
Posted By: keekeerun Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/29/11
For the money a Bear "super kodiak" in 55# will get you a nice accurate fast shooting bow for hunting and not cost so much for your first bow...thats good advice!
My Tom Gore built cascade superblackhawk is 22 yr.old this season!Recurves Rock!
Originally Posted by DanAdair

www.MontanaBows.com

Dan makes a damn great longbow. Truth is, out of all the guys building LBs (and I've shot just about all of them including ACS bows) I'd pick Dan everytime. But his recurves suck.

I disagree with you on that. The Classic Chinook is a great recurve. I have never shot any of Dan's take downs so can't speak for them. I don't like take downs anyways. So if they do in fact suck it is no lose to me.

I've shot Shakespheres, Bears, Black Widows and some customs and though I'm by no means an expert I've several decades of pulling strings. My favorite is this very smooth Fedora take-down Hunter. I've taken some twenty deer with bows to date. With recurves, the most important thing is to not "over bow" yourself (for example,this is about max I want to pull in a recurve) be disciplined enough to shoot regularly and as with compounds, have your equipment tuned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is my Bruin recurve (have two sets of limbs-53# and 57# at 28"; length 54" and 58" respectively). It is shorter than the Fedora, very handy in blinds or on a stand with the shorter limbs. Ive taken a lot of game with it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/30/11
Originally Posted by DanAdair

www.MontanaBows.com

I disagree with you on that. The Classic Chinook is a great recurve. I have never shot any of Dan's take downs so can't speak for them. I don't like take downs anyways. So if they do in fact suck it is no lose to me.

Dan's recurves are slow... I've shot 2 of them through chronographs right next to a Schafer of the same weight, and with any weight arrow, the Schafer will go 10FPS faster. Anytime you want to shoot a Schafer takedown, look me up when you're in kalispell next. Just bring you're Toelke LB for me to shoot wink
Posted By: awahlert Re: Thinking about a recurve - 07/30/11
When I got my Black Widow they told me 50-55 pounds is plenty for deer and other medium size game, mine is around 55 and Ive shot a few hogs and deer with it and had no problems
Next time I am out your way I will let you know and will make sure I have the XX Whip with me. I have a very good friend in Missoula that is hounding me to come out. Hopefully next year for archery elk.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Thinking about a recurve - 08/06/11
Do it laugh

The Zoo is smack dab in the middle of some choice Elk country if a guy wants to drive a couple hours in just about any direction. Great party town too...
Elk hunting I am all over. Not much of a partier.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Thinking about a recurve - 08/07/11

Try Navaho Archery in Henderson, Texas. Roy Hall bowmaker.
Long bows and recurves.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Thinking about a recurve - 08/07/11
Elk hunting I am all over. Not much of a partier.

The head west of there and work over the Thompson Falls area. You're going to see other bowhunters, but not too bad. Be willing to work to get at them, and you might actually pull it off...

I use the other approach, I backpack in 12 miles, stay put for a week, and rarely ever see humans in September.
I am stuck in CT for this season. I am always willing to work, and like you rather be into it deep and not see anyone else.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Thinking about a recurve - 08/09/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bought this Wing Archery Co. bow in 1972. Its the RedWing Hunter model in 45 lbs. I killed many deer with it over the years. In the 1970's it was cedar arrows with turkey feather fletching. But the 80's brought quality aluminum shafts and better broad heads, too.

If I were seeking another recurve, I'd go for Martin Hatfield or a Damon Howatt custom.

Sherwood
Posted By: 257James Re: Thinking about a recurve - 08/19/11
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I wont be getting rid of mine anytime soon....works of art, they are.

Nothing against Black Widow; awesome bows, but here are some works of art!!! Blacktail Bows.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GAP243 Re: Thinking about a recurve - 08/20/11
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I have picked up a Bear Super Grizzly for a pretty good deal. I like the way it shoots and if I really get into this type of shooting Black Widow or Great Plains will be getting a call from me. Once again thanks for all your insight and I hope everyone has a great season!!
© 24hourcampfire