Home
Posted By: pumpgun Long Bow For Hunting? - 06/26/01
Does anyone use a long bow for hunting? I am going to get back into bow hunting and was toying with the idea of getting a long bow. What are the limitations for using a long bow? I am guessing that using one from a treestand is out. tom
Posted By: J. Calhoun Re: Long Bow For Hunting? - 06/26/01
Tom,<P>I hope you get responses from others who have personal experience. I have friends who use long bows and recurves to hunt game in alaska. Actually, I don't think a treestand is necessarily precluded. The flat bows are not much longer than recurves. Of course, shooting a longbow requires practice, practice, practice. It's something I've been meaning to try for a long time, but have other priorities for now.<P>Good luck.
pump , i shoot as my name says a recurve or one the five i own . have a tendency to get carried away .<BR> long bows can be shot out of tree stands ,you just have to trim a little more so bow limbs don't hit anything , also not too short of bow limbs (more hand shock in short limb bows ), that is why i shoot a recurve . don't if you haven't shot a bow before don't get one with to high of a draw weight. <BR> also if i was someone starting out i would learn to shoot instinctive which is not using sights . but it takes practice . i shoot at least 50 arrows a day about 20 to 30 minutes . i joined the local archery club in dec . shot once a week after snow went started shooting every day ,in dec. had a hard time hitting the paper the target was printed on , just shot 36 arrows 80% were in heart, lung and liver . shots between 17 yds and 30yds. getting better every day . instinctive shooting is great just before dark when sight pins are hard to see all you have to do is see the spot . if you have any questions e-mail me ---- herb
Posted By: pumpgun Re: Long Bow For Hunting? - 06/27/01
Thanks for trhe feedback gents. to answer your question recurve. I have done some bow hunting (with no luck I might add) and I am a fair shot with a compound. tom
Posted By: Tass 366 Re: Long Bow For Hunting? - 06/27/01
Pumpgun,<BR>Recurve Shooter gave you a lot of valuable information in those few lines. Longbows and the other traditional bows are a lot of fun but you have to Practice, Practice, Practice! I own 3 custom Longbows which are made by Zebra Inc. out of Beetown, Wis. But there are many fine bows out there. Talk to other traditional shooters before purchasing one. They will tell you a lot of the information you will want to know and they love to share their knowledge.<P>Tom Y. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]
© 24hourcampfire