Home
Posted By: Swampman700 Ordering a New Widow - 01/24/13
I'm going to order another Black Widow. I think it's going to be a PMA III #45@28". They said 7 to 9 weeks.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/24/13
Black Widow bows suck - they jam just like Marlin 39As.

At least they do if your handle is Swampman700
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/24/13
39As do suck as repeaters or at least the seven I've owned did. They are great single shots.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/25/13
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I'm going to order another Black Widow. I think it's going to be a PMA III #45@28". They said 7 to 9 weeks.

overpriced crap for wannabe archers who don[t know any better.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/25/13
I love them. Smooth and very accurate....about the price of a decent coumpond and it's not obsolete in a year.
Posted By: deg967 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/25/13
Of, my 1927 model cycles smooth all the way to the end of a tube full.
Shoots tight too
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/25/13
You should play the Lotto.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/25/13
Ordering a New Widow

Schitt, I thought this thread was going to be about a mail order bride.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/26/13
Very nice bows.Overpriced??? I don't know.Is a Sako overpriced compared to a Savage?

I've owned a couple and they are a well made stable bow.I don't see them being more than $200-$300 more than any other custom bow and you don't even know if some of thoes others will be in business in a couple years to back up your warranty.Most of them are one man shows.

I currently shoot a PLX 55@28 and 62".I think 45 lbs is a great weight.I wish I had ordered less # as I am having some shoulder problems from an injury trying to carry too much weight while piling brush at my property.
Posted By: ColKlink Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/26/13
Windows are nice bows, worth every dime.
Posted By: ribka Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
Widows are nice bows but cost some scratch compared to other bows. great reputation for CS and A lot of die hard Widow fans out there. I prefer Border bows for the price point.

How much it set you back?
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
$1010 + shipping.....
Posted By: byc Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
Why 9 week lead times?
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
They are built to order and they have a back log.
Nine weeks ain't bad. Have waited a year for custom bow.
Posted By: ColKlink Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
Ain't bad at all, I wait a year for Gene Ingram knives.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
For that coin I'd go for a Fedora, nothing wrong with a BW though. Saw a used Schafer Silvertip on Ebay last week, always wanted one of those. Not made by Paul so not an original but it was a beautiful bow. A steal at $800.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
I've bought a full custom Fedora.You are better off with the Widow.

I had a friend who had terrible customer service with a problem Fedora.Mine was OK but not what I had expected.My friends experience soured me to even kepping my bow and I sold it at a heavy loss.
About 15 years met one of the Fedora's at a shoot. He had a booth set up and his bows looked nice and shot well. Was goingbto order one until I heard too manynstories about their terrible customer service, lost orders etc.

Originally Posted by TakeEm
For that coin I'd go for a Fedora, nothing wrong with a BW though. Saw a used Schafer Silvertip on Ebay last week, always wanted one of those. Not made by Paul so not an original but it was a beautiful bow. A steal at $800.

Sorry to jack thread

Lucky enough tp purchase a bow made by Paul before he died. Also have one of Monte's Monarch long bow before he passed. Both great friendly and helpful guys.

What a shame the trad community lost those two guys.

Prices are are going up on his bows.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
My family's experience with Fedora hasn't been the same as some. Dad has four Fedora's I have shot them all and really like them. Recently he had his original that was made for him back in '85 re finished, bow came back looking new, although it did take a while. The rest of them he has found used on Ebay. I haven't shot a BW but the Fedora handle really fits me well. I shoot a Jeffery TD which has a similar handle to the Fedora, my favorite bow.
Agree on the great loss of guys like Paul, Jay Massey and others who did a lot for bowhunting.
A bow is like a rifle or shotgun, some guys love the feel of a M70 but don't like Remmy, etc. If it naturally feels good, that is the first step to more accurate shooting, IMO and IME.
Posted By: brayh92 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 01/27/13
Idk about the overpriced thing on widows because most custom bows do cost a good bit of money I have a BW a old hoyt pro hunter and a dick Robertson stykbow I do like my BW and it shoots great but I'm more partial to the stykbow than my other two. I paid 975 for my BW my hoyt was a gift and the stykbow cost me 40 bucks used I would never get rid of any of them cause there all great shooters and I like the feel of all 3 so I think a bow is only worth what you think it is I'd pay 975 for another BW or a new stykbow anyday
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Ordering a New Widow - 02/04/13
Haven't had a Black Widow since the early 70's. Could have saved money on my last bow if I'd gone with Black Widow and am thinking seriously about a PTF before this next deer season.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 02/05/13
Here's a review on the PTF

http://www.archers-review.com/bow-reviews/black-widow-ptf-ii-62-52-at-28
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: Ordering a New Widow - 02/13/13
I bought a Widow last year and it has the best fit for me of any recurve I've ever owned. My current 3 are a Martin Mamba '91, Horne Bros, Widow. 'twas worth every cent to me.
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Ordering a New Widow - 02/14/13
Thanks Swampman..I read that review earlier. I'm thinking I may have to go with the PMA instead of PTF for the taller site window 5".

The bow I'm shooting now has a 3-1/2" site window and the way I look at what I want to hit the short site window blurs my target. The PTF has a 3-1/2" site window also.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 02/14/13
I prefer the PMA for that same reason.
Widows are nice bows with excellent grips, the most important part of any trad bow IMO.

The company has been doing it since 1957 I believe. Great American company.

I dont own one, but appreciate the hell outta them.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 02/14/13
I've owned two Black Widow recurves, no longer have them as I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. They are sweet shooting bows. I live about 15 miles from their shop and know several of the guys there. Top notch guys and quality bows.
Like my Black Widow. Great bow.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 03/29/13
Tracking number says it will be here tomorrow.
Posted By: ribka Re: Ordering a New Widow - 03/29/13
Lucky man

Expect a full report with lots of pics
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ordering a New Widow - 03/29/13
The big brown truck came....PMA III is in the house and shoots great. Compared to my longbow, the arrow flight looks straight as a guitar string.
Posted By: centershot Re: Ordering a New Widow - 04/05/13
Nice stuff, spendy - but when you get nice stuff it usually is.....should last you a lifetime and maybe someone else also.
© 24hourcampfire