Home
Posted By: Buzzie Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/27/14
I've just took up archery and after shooting less than 300 arrows I shot my first robin hood at 20 yards. Perfect shot of 1 arrow into the other arrow. What are the odds of doing this? I'm assuming this is pretty rare, sort of hole in 1 in golf. Thanks
Posted By: bludog Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/27/14
Not so rare.
Not rare at all. I have only done it once but thats a good thing for me. $30+ is a lot of money to throw away. But RH happen quite often. Better equipment. Better shooters. Guys more concerned with everything tuned to the nth degree. Saw a thread on AT a while back with a double RH. Thats 3 arrows stuck togethe
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/27/14
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Not rare at all.

Especially if you have him tune your bow and arrows...I lost three vanes in ten minutes after getting my bow back.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/27/14
It's a lot cheaper to paint a bunch of quarter sized dots on your target and shoot one arrow into each one rather than shooting tight groups.
Posted By: LKEYES Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/28/14
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
It's a lot cheaper to paint a bunch of quarter sized dots on your target and shoot one arrow into each one rather than shooting tight groups.

I agree completely!!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/28/14
Originally Posted by Buzzie
I've just took up archery and after shooting less than 300 arrows I shot my first robin hood at 20 yards. Perfect shot of 1 arrow into the other arrow. What are the odds of doing this? I'm assuming this is pretty rare, sort of hole in 1 in golf. Thanks

'Bout the same as putting two bullets in the same hole...just more expensive. smile
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/28/14
12 times so far...
Posted By: Buzzie Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/28/14
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the insight.
Posted By: Bigbuck_12 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/30/14
Back in the early 90 s I shot an 80# bow with overdraw and I shot a lot of knocks off my arrows. I got one Robin Hood with that set up. It never delivered the kind of accuracy of today's bows but got pretty darn close.

Fast forward 15 years and I got a new Mathews bow and started shooting a lot. I started upgrading every year enjoying the new technology. I shot 2 robin hoods at 20 yards so I started only shooting a single spot at 40 yards. After getting two robin hoods 40 I stick to multiple spot targets. It's really not that hard if you shoot good equipment and shoot often. I also think arrows have changed this a bit as well. The swagger alumninum end helped deflect an arrow after the knock exploded. Now with carbon shafts the knock exodes and there is a hole to guide the tip into the shaft.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/30/14
Your first Robin Hood is a big deal.
Second, not so much.
After that, you make some effort to quit destroying expensive carbon arrows!
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/30/14
Agreed. It seems to happen more frequently with the carbon arrows than with the older aluminum arrows everyone used in the past.
Posted By: rob p Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/31/14
I got one at 100 yds. I put this up every couple years !!!

[Linked Image]

I'll tell you my friend George is an excellent shot and he's never gotten a robin hood. We hang them from the ceiling at the club we belong to. I have a bundle as big around as your wrist I did in my first year there. When you get good, you don't want to shoot more than one arrow at a spot at 20 yds. The factor that contributes the most I find is a rigid target. The rag targets move a little when you hit and you just bust nocks. The solid foam targets don't flex and the arrows don't move and you split them. The other thing I find is that I aim at the smallest thing I can see. I put a 1/2" square of black tape every couple inches and shoot at it and dial in my pins until I hit it. Then, I can go out and nock hunt. If you can hold your pins on a very small target, you will split arrows and you should shoot one at a target.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/31/14
I went to an archery shop one time to test shoot a then new Hoyt Deviator ( this was in 1998?) .When i got there I Saw a used deviator set up and way cheaper then the new one. I shot 1 arrow at 10 yds. to get a feel for it and see where it shot and then 3 arrows at 25 yds. result was a broken noke and a robin hood. I lost any bargaining power and paid the full asking price for it.;
Posted By: eyeball Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/31/14
Rob and Big Buck, et al. Do y'all consider a whisker biscuit capable of good accuracy?
Decent accuracy if you have great form. A WB puts you at basically zero brace height due to rest contacting whole arrow until it completely passes through the rest. Too much risk of inconsistency. Some will be ok with the WB. For my money id always go drop away(QAD-full containment and great accuracy). But to each his own
Posted By: rost495 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 03/31/14
Originally Posted by Buzzie

It was hard to hit the perfect shot with AL arrows years ago.

Now, with carbon and a huge hole in the back, its not nearly as hard.

I don't shoot at the same spot since switching to carbons as I'd have way to many split arrows. But with AL you could hit within 1/16 or less of totally perfect, blowing the nock off, and still not split one.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/01/14
In the days gone by shooting a heavy bow with 2514s and uninocks it happened quite a bit.!
The odds you ask? If I tune your bow, I strongly reccomend not shooting the same spot more than once
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/01/14
Did you finish Ricks Heli-m???
Im offshore still. Strings are installed. DL and DW verified, cam "timing" set. Got that all done before I had to leave. His arrows are in as well
Posted By: Bigbuck_12 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/02/14
Originally Posted by eyeball
Rob and Big Buck, et al. Do y'all consider a whisker biscuit capable of good accuracy?

Last deer I shot was at 50 yards using a whisker biscuit. I think the key to shooting them well is to have good form. I'm not as accurate at long range compared to a drop away but I sure like the simple and reliable design for hunting. I have a buddy that can consistently place his arrows in the vitals at long range 75+ yards out using a WB.

I think a beginner is better served by a drop away so they can be more accurate while developing good form and ultimately confidence in their equipment. By the way I've gone back and forth several times ( drop away vs biscuit) but keep putting the biscuit on when it's go time.
Posted By: rob p Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/03/14
I don't like whisker biscuits. I can't tell you how many people buy a bow as a kit from Bass Pro or Dicks or such and bring it to me to set up and it has a whisker biscuit. I don't like them for two reasons. One is I shoot Quick Spin vanes. Almost 100% of the shooters in my club use them, and I fletch half of their arrows for them. My friend Rick does the other half, by the way. They have a kicker on each vane, and you can't shoot them through a biscuit. The other is I offset my vanes, and you have to straight fletch for a biscuit. Both defeat the point of spinning the arrow to stabilize it's flight.

The big selling point of a whisker biscuit is that it serves as an arrow rest and contains the arrow so it can't fall off the bow. If you are going to shoot a little before opening day and sit in a tree stand and take 20 yard shots. Great. If you are going to shoot for fun, and do some distance, not so much! We all shoot drop away rests. I don't want anything interfering with my arrow coming off my bow, and I want my arrow to spin as much as possible.
Posted By: wrongway Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/08/14
I can shoot robin hoods all day long.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/08/14
How many have robin hoods from the old style arrows where it was VERY hard to split one?

RE whisker biscuits, never shot one, but I"d be more into uber tuning if it wasn't a waste to take a shot much more than 15 yards on our deer. Too much chance for enough movement at 20 and beyond to where you are not nearly in contol of shot placement. And as such, you can hit small groups all you want at 50 or beyond, but our deer may well not be in the same county by the time it gets there.

Which is exactly what has been said.

If I had deer where I could ethically take longer shots, I"d run drop aways hands down.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/10/14
It's rare if you shoot like me. I shoot trad and wheels and have only had two Robin Hoods....my first was with my Black Widow and I about fainted.

I'm 56 and been shooting since I was 13!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Odds of a Robin Hood - 04/10/14
I don't have a cam to my life either. Have trads too, but only robin hood was with a 91 PSE Wheels... but I don't shoot hardly anymore. Back in the day I blew knocks off left and right in high school...but never split one until I was about 22 or so...
© 24hourcampfire