Home
Posted By: 458 Lott Best way to weight arrows? - 07/29/15
I picked up a dozen shafts to build my hunting arrows and was wondering what the best way to add weight. I'd like a finished weight of at least 450 gr, and at this point with the 125gr slick tricks I'm coming out ~425. I figured I'd just go with brass inserts but was wondering if I'm missing something?

I got in a practice session last night at dusk. Sure is a challenge when you have trouble making out your aiming point on the target. Shot the last group at 40 yds and was pretty happy to have three in about a 4" circle, but one flyer opening it up to paper plate size group.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Best way to weight arrows? - 07/29/15
I'm not sure another 25 grains is worth the effort.

Most of the time adding weight for bigger more complicated species is 100 grains or more.

I don't think In all the game I have shot with weights from 425 475 I could notice anything different or better. There is a huge difference from 380 to 525 plus though.
Jim,

If I decided to go 500+ gr route, what would you suggest for adding the weight? I might just build 1/2 doz ~425 gr, and 1/2 doz 500+. Also do you foot the insert on the heavier arrows?

[Linked Image]
This is the only way I have ever done it

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3Rivers+Arrow+Weight+Tubes_i6731X_baseitem.html

It's simple for guys that build their own arrows, a bit tougher to add to a shaft with already glued inserts. However I have done it from the nock end when I do not glue in the nocks.

I actually don't glue in my nocks any longer so it's much easier that way.
BTW,

I assume that this is a practice head. The blades and tip are a good example a fine camera work!
Jim,

Random net image. Just wondering if it's necessary to foot the insert to strengthen the arrow.
Bear in mind that adding a bunch of weight to the front end will weaken the spine of the arrow
More weight up front doesn't weaken the spine, but it can require a stiffer arrow.

I figure I'll build up 3 ea with brass inserts and weight tubes, and see which group best.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Best way to weight arrows? - 07/30/15
This is the reason I have always used the full length weight I linked above. It does not change the balance point, much if at all.

It also does not change the spine or create balance ( in regard to spin) issues that an out of round connection at one end might create.
Posted By: krp Re: Best way to weight arrows? - 07/31/15
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
More weight up front doesn't weaken the spine, but it can require a stiffer arrow.

Absolutely it weakens spine. Dynamic spine is based on static spine, front weight and energy.

Kent
Posted By: ribka Re: Best way to weight arrows? - 07/31/15
I have added weed eater line to inside of shaft to add some weight

worked well
Posted By: tlfw Re: Best way to weight arrows? - 08/10/15
I'm at 409g with 100g slick tricks magnums. I'm targeting Kansas bucks and my bow has been tuned for these arrows. I don't want to screw up the bow and arrow system that is working, but do you think that adding weight to my arrows via the tubes from 3 rivers would be smart? Would it require re-tuning? And if it were smart to add weight...how much?

Leave the arrow alone. You have plenty of weight. I run a 375 grn arrow setup and I know that at 40 yds or less it's going to do its job.
Posted By: tlfw Re: Best way to weight arrows? - 08/11/15
Thanks Harlon. That is what I needed to kmow.
© 24hourcampfire