Home
Posted By: rudyc Stick Bows and Pheasants Hunt - 02/28/17
This year was the 27th annual, my how time flies by!!
We had 63 hunters and 15 birds were shot in the air.
Attached are a couple of pictures that show proof positive, that you can hit a flying pheasant with a stick bow and a flu-flu arrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very cool!
I was a member of The Kenosha Bowmen for all the years I lived just south of the border in Glencoe. Loved taking part in this annual event!
That looks like a blast. You would need a lot more pheasants than we have around here anymore. Lucky to see one or two roosters in an afternoon and 2-3 mile hike.
I remember, as a kid, watching Fred Bear do this on TV. I was really into small game hunting with a recurve back then (way before compounds). Mostly rabbits and squirrels. Fred made shooting pheasants out of the air look so easy! I never had the opportunity to try it though. Even if the opportunity arose (at the time) I don't know if I'd take it. Back then I really couldn't afford to lose arrows!
That's pretty darn cool. I shoot stickbows and have shot those thrown foam discs with my longbow. I've only been Pheasant hunting once.It was a 22 hour drive one way and the 3 days cost me around $1200. I killed my limit 2 days out of 3 with my shotgun, but it was tough enough that I won't be trying it with my longbow.
Thats SUPER cool. Great shots my friend.
Impressive. Custom bows or selfmade?
You did submit those pix to Primitive Archer, Yes ?
Originally Posted by rudyc
This year was the 27th annual, my how time flies by!!
We had 63 hunters and 15 birds were shot in the air.
Attached are a couple of pictures that show proof positive, that you can hit a flying pheasant with a stick bow and a flu-flu arrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's just plain cool.....
Heck, I can hardly hit them with a double load of #6 lead shot.
Until I injured my shoulder, traditional bow winter shooting league went to a shooting preserve usually about 10 guys. They would release 20 pheasants usually 7-10 were shot in a first half of the day with bows. In the afternoon hunt would have young hunters that completed there hunter safety coarse at the gun club. Do clean up on remaining birds with shotguns.
© 24hourcampfire