Home
Posted By: Lou_M shipping a long bow? - 04/11/17
I inherited a long bow from a cousin who passed away last summer.
I don't have a use for it (I am lefty) and its pull is far beyond my abilities. Eventually I may end up selling it. If I can't locally, (one of two local shops had no interest), I will probably list it here.

How does one ship a long bow. Two, three, or more telescoped cardboard document tubes, reinforced? PVC pipe?

Thanks,
Lou M
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/11/17
PVC pipe. Who made it and what is the draw weight?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/11/17
PVC pipe with the bow wrapped in lots of bubble wrap.
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/11/17
A card board fishing rod tube which you can get at most sporting goods stores. Most of the higher end rods come in a very stout tube.
Posted By: Lou_M Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/12/17
Thanks guys. I guess I was on the right track.
LM
Posted By: JGray Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/12/17
Another option is the center cardboard tube from a carpet roll. If you have a local flooring store, they usually have them laying around.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/12/17
When using a tube,make sure to heavily pad the tips and reinforce the tube ends.I suggest cutting a circle out of a board for the ends. I've seen lots of bows shipped in tubes destroyed because the tip pocked through a taped end.
Posted By: LostArra Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/13/17
Lots of good advice:
I also cut plywood for tube end plugs and excessively wrap the limb tips.
I have used carpet tubes and pvc (not schedule 40, but just the drain pipe).
I worried about the carpet tubes but if a vehicle runs over the tube it probably doesn't matter what you use.

My office mailman told me he does not like handling round tubes because they roll around so much but it's hard to find a long tubular box with any strength.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/14/17
It is very simple to make a light wooden container from pine 1x4s and 1/4" plywood, using drywall screws to hold it together. Then cover it with cardboard to keep the USPS folks happy. It adds some to the shipping, but so does buying insurance - which might be hard to recover on. And a few scraps are cheap to acquire, especially since you need nothing fancier than what you can often buy from the blemished/scrap cart for a big discount at Home Depot or wherever.
Posted By: Lou_M Re: shipping a long bow? - 04/15/17
Thank you all again.
LM
© 24hourcampfire