Home
Posted By: RickyBobby My 1st crossbow - 05/05/17
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FL02fkPQPE

Put money down over the phone today ... just gotta find the time to go get it over the next few days. Can't wait to play around with it! Been looking at them for several years now and sounding like my home state of Illinois is getting real close to allowing them full season for everyone, so I figured it's time to get into the game. Even if the new law doesn't pass my 10yr old can legally hunt with it and I also can during late season so it's all good. I still enjoy my compound so it'll have to stay at home some but will be fun for mixing things up! My dealer I spoke to today has been a TenPoint dealer for years and said these new Ravins blow them outta the water! He said the technology that went into this crossbow is unbelievable! I sure hope so for what it's costing me. In fact, dealer said when I go to get it he wants me to 1st shoot all his TenPoints ... then pickup the Ravin R15 and shoot it. He says the difference is unquestionable! So what do you all think??? Did I make a decent decision???

Also, any pointers for a 1st time crossbow user? TIA
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/05/17

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qeSNfq3Oy8s

... another interesting video showing some of the main features that went into the Ravin R15
Posted By: MILES58 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/05/17
When the Ravin was released I spent some time evaluating it.

It has a lot of well considered features and were I buying a first crossbow today it would be a choice between what have, an Excalibur Matrix 330, and the Ravin.

The crank s really nice, but if it fails, then what? The super tight nocks are an issue. They are necessary to the design, they do not contribute to accuracy and they limit what you can shoot for arrows. The narrow bow is really nice and it handles much more like a rifle. The speed is nice, but it's not fast enough that it makes any difference. The trigger is good. The scope sucks.

The Excalibur is about as bullet proof as they get. The trigger is good. The scope really sucks. Maintenance is simple and can be done by the user. It's not the fastest, but none of the deer I have killed with it moved before the arrow got there. Plenty of power to drive a big two blade or four blade expandable completely through big deer. Extremely accurate.

The width of the Excalibur is not an issue for me other than how it affects the balance.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/05/17
Lube the rails, wax the string - regularly. The crossbow has much more friction contact than a compound bow, you need the lubes to help fight the high-speed wear on the strings and cables. I've shot several crossbows in the store that were dry, you could smell the nylon "burn" from the friction.

As far as a "good or bad" choice, we can't help you, you made a decision that was based on your needs, information, and how you hunt.

But, it would good to hear back when you have shot it for a while, and what the post-buy reactions are. I've had my eye on the local archery shop to look at one when they come in.
Posted By: FVA Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/05/17
Nice looking X bow.
I've a Scorpyd I'm not looking to change anytime soon but certainly would give this one a look were I in the market.
Originally Posted by MILES58

It has a lot of well considered features and were I buying a first crossbow today it would be a choice between what have, an Excalibur Matrix 330, and the Ravin.

The crank s really nice, but if it fails, then what? The super tight nocks are an issue. They are necessary to the design, they do not contribute to accuracy and they limit what you can shoot for arrows. The narrow bow is really nice and it handles much more like a rifle. The speed is nice, but it's not fast enough that it makes any difference. The trigger is good. The scope sucks.

The Excalibur is about as bullet proof as they get. The trigger is good. The scope really sucks. Maintenance is simple and can be done by the user. It's not the fastest, but none of the deer I have killed with it moved before the arrow got there. Plenty of power to drive a big two blade or four blade expandable completely through big deer. Extremely accurate.

The width of the Excalibur is not an issue for me other than how it affects the balance.

Thanks for the info and opinions! I guess if I'd decide to replace scope down the road it's not end of world but just more money out of my pocket. I'm sure I can make due for my 1st season/fall of hunting and go from there. Are you talking clarity ,,, eye relief ,,, or what??? Just curious.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Lube the rails, wax the string - regularly. The crossbow has much more friction contact than a compound bow, you need the lubes to help fight the high-speed wear on the strings and cables. I've shot several crossbows in the store that were dry, you could smell the nylon "burn" from the friction.

As far as a "good or bad" choice, we can't help you, you made a decision that was based on your needs, information, and how you hunt.

But, it would good to hear back when you have shot it for a while, and what the post-buy reactions are. I've had my eye on the local archery shop to look at one when they come in.

Yeah, strings are only thing scares me about these hard shooting crossbows from what I'm gathering. Especially since safety is my main concern if my 10yr old might be using it. I will most definitely keep an eye on strings and try to maintain them. I'll keep you fellas posted on my thoughts after I get my hands on it and shoot it some!
Can these high speed crossbows be shot into a standard 3D deer target? Wondering if a crossbow specific target will be in order also? Geez! It's never ending. Lol!
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Can these high speed crossbows be shot into a standard 3D deer target? Wondering if a crossbow specific target will be in order also? Geez! It's never ending. Lol!

No - you need a crossbow rated target. Yes, you can shoot the standard 3D deer, but be prepared for pass-throughs from the start - think about what you have behind the target. I've watched guys nail their 3D deer to the shed wall, because they didn't think it through.

Even good cross targets start losing full stop after shots to the same spot.

It looks like the Raven can be decocked, if you don't shoot it?

If not, you also need a discharge bolt, or a discharge bag for the field. Shooting the hunting bolt into the ground briefs well, until you have broken and replaced 2-3 bolts in a season.

Thanks for the info and opinions! I guess if I'd decide to replace scope down the road it's not end of world but just more money out of my pocket. I'm sure I can make due for my 1st season/fall of hunting and go from there. Are you talking clarity ,,, eye relief ,,, or what??? Just curious.

99% of the factory crossbow scopes are cheap, poor eye relief, won't zero, and break usually soon after purchase. But, they come with cool red and green lighting...

The reality is that the manufacture has to cut costs to the consumer somewhere, and the scope usually takes the hit. Most factory come with a ballistic reticle that is not adjustable, I've had several that did not match the factory bolts even close.

Plus, you set your bolt up for your hunting, certain grain bolt, certain weight broadhead, certain vanes. The factory scope isn't calibrated for all of the variables that can added by the consumer, so you get a scope that usually only matches the factory bolt with a field point, and not much else.

You are going have to see if the scope will adapt to your bolt, and if the reticle marks are even close at further distance.

99% of the factory crossbow scopes are cheap, poor eye relief, won't zero, and break usually soon after purchase. But, they come with cool red and green lighting...

The reality is that the manufacture has to cut costs to the consumer somewhere, and the scope usually takes the hit. Most factory come with a ballistic reticle that is not adjustable, I've had several that did not match the factory bolts even close.

Plus, you set your bolt up for your hunting, certain grain bolt, certain weight broadhead, certain vanes. The factory scope isn't calibrated for all of the variables that can added by the consumer, so you get a scope that usually only matches the factory bolt with a field point, and not much else.

You are going have to see if the scope will adapt to your bolt, and if the reticle marks are even close at further distance.

Are there many options for upgrading a crossbow scope? Wouldn't think there'd be much to choose from regardless. What's a good quality crossbow scope ... just as an example. I'm curious.
Actually,

There's a pretty good market for the after-market scopes. The cheap scopes on the market x-bows have generated the need for additional options. Most of the big name scope brands have at least one scope in their line-up.

I like this one: Redfield Revenge 2-7x34 ABS Crossbow Scope 115206

However, I think it's discontinued by Redfield. I have two or three mounted, they have been repeatable, good at dusk and dawn, and matched each x-bow that I mounted them on. I do not use the ranging feature, but it allows me to set the scope for each bow, speed, and weight of the bolt.

I bought one these off of Natchez, but I haven't mounted it yet.

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-...eticle-33-11-fov-5-eye-relief-matte.html

Leupold, Zeiss, and Nikon have x-bow scopes, but you are creeping up in the price range as well.

Posted By: StoneCutter Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/05/17
Pretty sweet. If you don't mind me asking, what did it set you back?

I bought a Ten Point 3 years ago, and as much as I love hunting with my compound, I haven't picked it up since I got the crossbow.
Right @ $2,000
Posted By: kellory Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17
IMHO , as one who uses a crossbow for most of my bow hunting these days, any scope you can see through and will hold it's zero will do. You are talking about using scopes far more accurate than the weapon they are attached to.
Average crossbow shot is likely less than 30-50yards. True, some high dollar crossbows will do 100yds, I hear, but I would never take a shot that far with a weapon with that many variables.
I have shot targets with a longbow, recurve, and compound out to 70yards. (Measured course) but I will not take a bow shot at a live animal at more than 40-45yds max.
Even with carbon shafts, and new matched razorheads, pristine fletchings, and perfect form , variations in flight will still occur, due to factors such as the shift of the breeze.
Scopes are also susceptible to the problem of parilax. I buried a crossbow bolt in a thumb sized branch between me and my deer. That branch was not visible in the scope but was in the flight path of the bolt. Cost me a nice buck. 4X Scope was removed after that, and only one pin is used now.
A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat.

Posted By: MILES58 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17
Originally Posted by kellory
IMHO , as one who uses a crossbow for most of my bow hunting these days, any scope you can see through and will hold it's zero will do. You are talking about using scopes far more accurate than the weapon they are attached to.
Average crossbow shot is likely less than 30-50yards. True, some high dollar crossbows will do 100yds, I hear, but I would never take a shot that far with a weapon with that many variables.
I have shot targets with a longbow, recurve, and compound out to 70yards. (Measured course) but I will not take a bow shot at a live animal at more than 40-45yds max.
Even with carbon shafts, and new matched razorheads, pristine fletchings, and perfect form , variations in flight will still occur, due to factors such as the shift of the breeze.
Scopes are also susceptible to the problem of parilax. I buried a crossbow bolt in a thumb sized branch between me and my deer. That branch was not visible in the scope but was in the flight path of the bolt. Cost me a nice buck. 4X Scope was removed after that, and only one pin is used now.
A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat.

I guess you don't hunt under low light conditiions.

I guess you also don't figure anyone else does either.

That would rule out facing into a setting/rising sun too.

As far as Parallax (parilax for some folks). That generally isn't going to affect you seeing a thumb sized branch at 30 yards.

"A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat." For some people I just became convinced that this is a true statement.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17
Right @ $2,000

Two thousand dollars for a bow is a lot of money!

The crossbow I am shooting cost me less. It's a Barnett Recruit. Mine costs $150 here:

Here is a link to one for sale

[/i]

[i]
Barnet crossbow $150
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17
a crossbow is still a bow, not a rifle
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17
I have guns sitting that don't ever get used ... so I have zero problems spending $2,000 on a crossbow that my boy & myself will put to use and enjoy the heck out of! Especially when I'm trying to keep him interested in going hunting with me. We will have some good fun with it! Worth every penny. Sure I can find one cheaper but those aren't the ones I want. I was convinced last couple years I would own a TenPoint someday until I seen these Ravins and spoke with my dealer.
Originally Posted by kellory

Kinda like polishing a turd???
Posted By: AH64guy Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17
"A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat." For some people I just became convinced that this is a true statement.

That has signature line potential...

RB - your crossbow has rifle accuracy potential, match the glass to what it, and you, can do.

RB - your crossbow has rifle accuracy potential, match the glass to what it, and you, can do.

Agreed! Hell, I might check into a Swarovski!
Posted By: kellory Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17
I guess you don't hunt under low light conditiions.
(you would guess wrong. I hunt the legal start and stop times)
I guess you also don't figure anyone else does either.

That would rule out facing into a setting/rising sun too.
(If I intentionally set up facing into the direct sunlight, then that would be an idiotic thing to do. pick your position better)
As far as Parallax (parilax for some folks). That generally isn't going to affect you seeing a thumb sized branch at 30 yards. (perhaps not for a ground pounder, but from a tree stand, and using cover, it does. scope is line of sight, while the arrow follows an arc.) (and if you feel the need to correct my spelling, perhaps you should police your own first.)

(my response is within the quote)

Kinda like polishing a turd???

More like wasting any education past third grade on some people.

It's yours.

Are there many options for upgrading a crossbow scope? Wouldn't think there'd be much to choose from regardless. What's a good quality crossbow scope ... just as an example. I'm curious.

There are many scopes for rifles that are excellent on crossbows. Personally, I am using a German made Duralyt 2-8 on my crossbow. I just happened to have it in the safe for a rifle project and it fit the bill so well the rifle will see another scope when I get to that project.

Any 2FP scope will give you some adjustment if you use the top of the heavy "wire" of a duplex reticle and the crosshair in the center. On my Duralyt with the 60 reticle at just under 3x the crosshair is at 20 yards and the top of the post is 50 yards. I can interpolate between them for 30 and 40 yards. But... Out of 8 or 12 deer have killed with it, all have been close enough to 20 that it didn't matter. Maybe this fall I will be shooting more variable range.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/06/17

Man that sucker is loud !!!! I've reviewed other Ravens over the last few weeks and they all seem to be quite loud. Huge $$$$$ for a noisy bow.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Man that sucker is loud !!!! I've reviewed other Ravens over the last few weeks and they all seem to be quite loud. Huge $$$$$ for a noisy bow.

I'll get back with you about that. I'm going to shoot them all when I go.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/07/17
Try here, RB. http://www.crossbownation.com/community
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/07/17
Geez! That just makes me want to have it in my hands that much more!
The reviews on the first page of this link didn't blow my hair back.

http://www.crossbownation.com/community/threads/ravin-crossbows.39317/

Due your homework.

At the risk of being rude I'd like to point out that I mentioned the extreme noise to another member and he thought I was commenting about the clicking noise from the cocking mechanism.

A fool and his money,..........
Posted By: kellory Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/07/17
Some interesting info on crossbow ballistics.

The chart below, the values displayed within it, and the research conducted is copyrighted material and is the property of www.bestcrossbowsource.com. You are welcome to share it, as long as you mention our website as the original source of the data / research.

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-arrow-drop-charted-test-results/

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse RB but that sucker is LOUD. You can and should do better.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/07/17

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse RB but that sucker is LOUD. You can and should do better.

Like I said, I'll let you know after I shoot them ... hoping to make it to my local dealer one afternoon this week. I'm not obligated to buy it. I put $200 down to have him hold it because it was his last one and he said they are flying out of his shop and Ravin can't tell him when he'll get his next shipment.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/08/17
An illuminated Swarovski would make a nice upgrade on the Raven bow. It is fairly accurate out to 100 or 125 yards. Of course that depends a lot on the wind direction and any obstacles between you and your target.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/08/17

Agreed! Hell, I might check into a Swarovski!

After using a number of really good scope and at least like like number of lower end scopes on my rifles and testing almost all of the offerings for crossbows, here's they way it shakes out for me.

What I need out of a crossbow scope scope is not just good enough to show me a deer because with an arrow you have to target the internal organ(s). Even when you are just trying to double lung Bambi, you are still working close enough to the shoulder bones that you need to be sure to avoid them, you still want both lungs well hit and you still want to avoid the shoulder bones on the off side to be sure you get two holes in Bambi to make for the best chance at a good blood trail. Put the shot a little far back on a deer angled toward you and you might well get a small part of one lung only and then exit out through the diaphragm and through the abdominal cavity on the way out. So that exit wound may well be plugged completely by the omentum which is why that organ is there. It's no secret that deer love acorns. It's no secret that oaks, and in particular red oaks hold their leaves and keep a heavy canopy through deer season. Because of their growth habit of sparse canopy down low, oaks leave a niche for bush like hazel, buckthorn and sumac under them. That can make for a very dark ground floor. I do not need a lot of magnification. Because the string is held under very high poundage even with compound crossbows, just the noise of the trigger releasing is louder than a lot of vertical bows total noise output for the entire shot. If Bambi can jump the string at 20-30 yards with my No Cam which is as quiet as any bow I shoot alongside, it's unreasonable to believe they cannot manage the same with a 400 FPS crossbow.. So, range doesn't change for me at all with the crossbow even though I can be far more accurate and carry more power much further with the crossbow.

Most crossbow scopes are just rebadged low end rifle scopes with poor to completely unacceptable low light performance. That's the one most critical requirement for me. Second is a decent reticle that shows me my target rather than obscures it with circles or heavy crosshairs or illumination that swamps out the target.. Very clear edge to edge image and good depth of field are very important to seeing clearly the angle of the body. If a scope under 4x has insufficient field of view there is no way that scope merits consideration for any use.

For my purposes, I don't need more than 4x magnification out of a crossbow scope. For the most part 2 1/2 or 3x is plenty. Weight is just not a consideration, I am not going to carry it a lot, nor is snap shooting a likelihood.

I have a VX-3 Leupold 1-4x20 that meets all the requirements but for the low light performance which is abysmal compared to the Duralyt, so, a quality scope alone just isn't enough for this job.
Posted By: Troy66 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/11/17
RB
Save your money and buy a Center Point Sniper 370. Read all the reviews on the different web sites.It is compared to a Ten Point crossbow in the $1000 range, but costs around $260. I have had the trigger adjusted for around $80. This is my second cross bow first being a Excalibur. You want to talk noisy go shoot the Excalibur.I have No complaints with the sniper 370
Posted By: pyrexjarflower34 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/11/17
you crossbow is really nice, never thought of buying one before because i think they take too long to reload. but now i am considering it.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/11/17
Originally Posted by Troy66
RB
Save your money and buy a Center Point Sniper 370. Read all the reviews on the different web sites.It is compared to a Ten Point crossbow in the $1000 range, but costs around $260. I have had the trigger adjusted for around $80. This is my second cross bow first being a Excalibur. You want to talk noisy go shoot the Excalibur.I have No complaints with the sniper 370

Sold my $1200.00 Ten Point as the Center Point Sniper 370 simply beat the snot out of it in all areas. Need I say more ?

Under an inch at 35 yards.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/13/17
Well, I had a good day at the bow shop and ended up bringing home the crossbow I went after. I spent the better part of 4 to 5hrs shooting a good variety of their crossbows and this Ravin R15 won it hands down for me! The Ravin was way more user friendly when it came to cocking and loading the bolt. Ravin is definitely balanced good and a lot less cumbersome to handle compared to the others also, in my opinion. The scope or optics seem fairly decent and I think will get me through at least my 1st hunting season but I may look into better optics in the future. I also purchased some rubber limb dampeners and installed them on the limbs to try to help deaden the xbow when it fires some and for sound. Yes ... these xbows are louder than your standard compound but everyone I shot today was comparable to the next. I actually thought the TenPoint Carbon RDX was a lot louder than this Ravin R15. Now, for the trigger ... WOW! That's all I can say ... WOW! The trigger on the Ravin is super crisp and smooth. The trigger on the TenPoint absolutely stinks compared to the Ravin! Lol. Or any other crossbow I shot today. I just came in from the backyard and I'm easily hitting the 3" dot on my target at 60yds standing and shooting freehand. I contribute a lot of that to the sweet trigger on it! Anyway, super excited to go through the fall and take my 1st deer with a crossbow or even put my 10yr old son on a nice deer with it. I'll keep you guys informed the more I get to use it and my thoughts. Ravin R15 all the way!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/13/17
Glad you took the plunge into Xbows RB. Fine looking unit and I hope that you and your son have many, many hours of enjoyment together !
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/13/17
Glad you took the plunge into Xbows RB. Fine looking unit and I hope that you and your son have many, many hours of enjoyment together !

Thanks! Really appreciate that. We will try our damnedest! Lol
Posted By: pyrexjarflower34 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/13/17
@RickyBobby thats one sweet crossbow, damn;
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/14/17
Hey guys, I'm all ears on good optics for xbows ... please feel free to share any opinions or suggestions for me when it comes time to upgrade my optics in the near future! I'm having hard time with Internet searches on quality xbow scopes. It just doesn't pull up much. I seen where HHA makes a slider scope mount for xbows, and then you can mount any standard scope or optic with a single crosshair reticle on top of it and use the slider with yardage tapes like their single pin compound bow sights. It looks like it really raises the height that the scopes mounted though. Also, keeping my Ravin as light as I possibly can will be my main objective. Not wanting to add anything bulky and have unnecessary weight.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/14/17
Ask here http://www.crossbownation.com/community/ or the 24HCF will have you buying a freaking Swarovski.

Just not needed for the short distances encountered. Would you put a $1K scope on a squirrel rifle ?
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/15/17
Ask here http://www.crossbownation.com/community/ or the 24HCF will have you buying a freaking Swarovski.

Just not needed for the short distances encountered. Would you put a $1K scope on a squirrel rifle ?

Thanks for suggestion ... just signed up over there.
I'm also open to suggestions on broadheads for my crossbow, if anyone knows what might shoot good out of it??? I am currently shooting the solid 1piece machined G5 Montecs from my current compound setup and really like them. Might try similar with my Ravin.
... can't get enough of this thing! Out back flingin some arrows this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/15/17
Nice shooting!

I got to handle a Raven on Saturday, it's a very compact package. The LOP wasn't as bad/short as I had expected for the stock, but I'd need to run the forearm piece further up the rail.

Do you find that you need to brace the front of the bow when you cock it? I'm used to the stirrup, without it, you're bracing on the pads on the front of the limbs?
Nice shooting!

I got to handle a Raven on Saturday, it's a very compact package. The LOP wasn't as bad/short as I had expected for the stock, but I'd need to run the forearm piece further up the rail.

Do you find that you need to brace the front of the bow when you cock it? I'm used to the stirrup, without it, you're bracing on the pads on the front of the limbs?

Until I know of a better way ... I've been resting it on the pads on front of limbs when cocking. I see no real issue with that but I'm just a 1st time xbow owner. Lol. I think a person would have to get pretty rough with it to cause an issue there. My dealer wasn't hesitant about doing it either when I demoed it. I'm open to suggestions though.

Between the integrated and very simple crank system, the awesome trigger, and the way this thing just handles in general ... I was impressed! But again, it's my 1st crossbow. Still not sure about the optics but they aren't a deal breaker. They're useable for sure.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/16/17
I don't think you are doing it wrong, just a question coming from limited past experiences in a treestand using a crank.

A couple of crossbows have been a PITA to recock in the stand. My experience with a couple of different cranks was that the nose of the bow had to braced "someplace" and usually standing up was the easiest. I've tried just sticking my boot in the stirrup while sitting, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

In our deer management areas in urban archery seasons, we'll see deer in groups, and especially does with yearlings. If you can get the doe down, the yearlings will usually hang around, or come back to the area if they spook a bit. A quick reload has resulted in more than one deer down in the same sit.

If the crank system is a PITA, you end up standing and cranking to reload, making more movement, more noise, etc. A buddy had an upper end 10 Point, the crank was pretty easy to run, but it a noisy clicker that ratcheted the line back into the spool. I tried a crank on my Carbon Express, it felt like I was flopping around, without standing up.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/16/17
I don't think you are doing it wrong, just a question coming from limited past experiences in a treestand using a crank.

A couple of crossbows have been a PITA to recock in the stand. My experience with a couple of different cranks was that the nose of the bow had to braced "someplace" and usually standing up was the easiest. I've tried just sticking my boot in the stirrup while sitting, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

In our deer management areas in urban archery seasons, we'll see deer in groups, and especially does with yearlings. If you can get the doe down, the yearlings will usually hang around, or come back to the area if they spook a bit. A quick reload has resulted in more than one deer down in the same sit.

If the crank system is a PITA, you end up standing and cranking to reload, making more movement, more noise, etc. A buddy had an upper end 10 Point, the crank was pretty easy to run, but it a noisy clicker that ratcheted the line back into the spool. I tried a crank on my Carbon Express, it felt like I was flopping around, without standing up.

You can push in on the button that releases the crank system, and while cranking, the clicking noise is non-existent on the Ravin. Hopefully that made sense! Lol. It is a nice option for doing a reload in a tree stand I would think. Also, I wouldn't see any issue of not being able to reload while sitting down in a tree stand.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/17/17
Thanks - The narrow profile of the bow would be the cat's meow for sitting reload.
Posted By: goldroger Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/17/17
Op got a very nice crossbow, been looking to pick one up but a little twisted with choice but this seems really convincing.
Posted By: goldroger Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/17/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.

really nice, i bet it cost top $$$
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/17/17
Originally Posted by goldroger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

really nice, i bet it cost top $$$

I'll be honest, I shot the R9 and its just as sweet! You're only giving up about 30 FPS by going with the R9 and you'd save a decent amount of money. Only reason I went with the R15 was because I have a couple really good ground blinds on fields where I might be tempted at a longer 50yd or 60yd shot "If" the right deer presents himself. Just thought the extra speed may help when hunting on the ground. Plus, I knew if it bought the R9 I'd always be wondering why I didn't go with the R15. Lol! It was pricey but I had a pretty good slush fund I had been saving up for this purchase.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/24/17
My crossbow is lots of 'new' fun. With a lifetime of owning guns the xbow is something I can learn and shoot right here in the basement at night after dinner.

It makes NO noise and is fun!!
Posted By: Emuckfwa Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/28/17
Been using an Excalibur Phoenix for about 4 years now. Couldn't be happier. Has the 4x ShadowZone scope on it. Once you set up the scope for the speed of your bow it holds zero year after year. I set mine up like a rifle zeroed at 30 yards and within a inch or two out to 50 yards. But honestly, their loud and deer can easily jump the arrow beyond 30 yards. Most of my kills have been 20 or less yards.. Also, you can cock it in the tree stand. I really like it over a bow because I can anticipate my shot without having to wait for an opportunity to draw or hold a draw for a longtime. Each season a just shoot a couple of bolts to verify I am still on zero and then I'm ready to hunt.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/28/17
Did the dampeners work well?
Posted By: Emuckfwa Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/28/17
Somewhat, but still louder than a compound bow more a clunk when you shoot.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/29/17
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

Not sure if this was directed at me or not??? If so, I'd say it helped but nothing drastic. Every little bit helps though in my opinion! I'm planning to order new arrows that are heavier than the ones that come with the Ravin ... I think that should make a more noticeable difference.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: My 1st crossbow - 05/29/17
Originally Posted by Emuckfwa
Somewhat, but still louder than a compound bow more a clunk when you shoot.

Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

Not sure if this was directed at me or not??? If so, I'd say it helped but nothing drastic. Every little bit helps though in my opinion! I'm planning to order new arrows that are heavier than the ones that come with the Ravin ... I think that should make a more noticeable difference.

Thanks for the replies. It was directed to anyone that has experience. LOL

I've got a R9 on order and will order a set.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/08/17
My first crossbow continues to be daily fun and enjoyment for me. I shoot it in my basement and it's staying sighted in and hitting the target right near it's center.

It's something I can do with no noise and it's good practice.

Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/18/17
I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/18/17
I'm also open to suggestions on broadheads for my crossbow, if anyone knows what might shoot good out of it??? I am currently shooting the solid 1piece machined G5 Montecs from my current compound setup and really like them. Might try similar with my Ravin.

I have killed deer with 2 blade Zwickeys, 2 inch rages, 3 blade Muzzy trocars, 3 blade NAP thunderheads and 4 blade NAP crossfires. All worked just fine. half of the deer were shot through the heart. The rest were equally well hit.

I was very surprised to see the lung damage on two identical hits with the 4 blade NAPs produced quite noticeably more lung damage (both were center lung double lung hits). My wife who holds the light when I am gutting made note of the damage as soon as I opened the chest. Both deer went almost identical distance after the shot. Both deer started heavy bleeding much sooner. Both deer were reduced to a wobbly walk by 20 yards. Both deer went a little less distance than I averaged with other heads. I bough more of them and will shoot moredeer with them this year in the hope that I see more of the same and that those two were not just coincidence which I consider a good possibility.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/19/17
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I just got my first crossbow today different brand. I was shooting it to sight in at 20 yards. I'm guessing the 10th shot It sounded funny. I looked at it and one of the limbs split.The Brand has a good reputation for customer service. I hope they live up to their reputation.

Wow! That would be a heartbreaker! Hope you can get it taken care of.
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/27/17
Great news today! If I'm reading this link correctly, I think my home state of Illinois just passed new law yesterday of full inclusion of Xbows for everyone during entire archery season. That would be great! I'll definitely be getting the opportunity to put the smack down on a deer this Fall with my Raviin. That's exciting! Looking forward to a new style of hunting.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...AID=14&SessionID=91&LegID=104353
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/27/17
Ricky- just North of you in Wis. You probably already know we passed a similar reg here three seasons ago. I messed up my drawing arm so went with a Mission that I have been very happy with. They are a little cumbersome compared to conventional bows but they really shoot! Good luck. Bruce
Posted By: Ebby Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/27/17
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/27/17
Originally Posted by Ebby
I just picked up a Ravin R9. I have messed up my shoulder and won't be able to shoot a bow for a while and thought this might be fun. It's an awesome bow. I really like how narrow it is and the trigger is fantastic. Lots of personal preference for guys with crossbows but for me the narrow profile is what won me over. I have a PSE Fang that I bought mainly for the kids. My son missed a deer with it last year because the limb hit the window of the blind. I also missed a turkey earlier this year with a Scorpyd that also hit the side of the blind on the shot. The turkey didn't run off and I was able to reposition and make a clean kill on the second but it is still nice to have something compact and narrow for a treestand or blind situation.

I'm really looking forward to getting out and shooting this thing more. Very slick.

Lee

I think you'll really like that Ravin! I can't wait to hunt with mine this Fall.

Best of Luck with your new R9!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: My 1st crossbow - 07/04/17
My bow came back last Friday haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet. But I am pleased with the speed they fixed it.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: My 1st crossbow - 07/07/17
We've been selling the heck out of the Ravin R9 and R15. A buddy of mine bought one (R15) and I helped him sight it in. Fast and accurate. He shot three arrows into a group the size of a dip can at 60 yards.

And yes, I watched him shoot it at 100. Three arrows into about a 6" group. He said he had no intentions of shooting at a deer that far, but said coyotes were in trouble if they came by his stand this fall!
Posted By: SD65 Re: My 1st crossbow - 07/13/17
Originally Posted by Troy66
RB

For an entry level xbow, the Sniper is an excellent value. Even though manufactured in China, it offers very good quality and features for the $$.

You can find it for around $225 shipped on Ebay or from Molly's Outfitters here for $239 shipped.

http://mymollys.com/product/centerpoint-sniper-370-camo-crossbow-package/

For those wishing to save money on a viable xbow target, you can stuff a large box with plastic bags or shrink wrap and tape/paint box to your liking. It will stop a bolt traveling in excess of 300fps without damage to vanes.

SD
Posted By: cooperfan Re: My 1st crossbow - 08/14/17
Going with crossbow version (red collar) 100 grain Rage Hypodermic broadheads for my R9. For deer

Posted By: captbutch Re: My 1st crossbow - 10/18/17
Just bought the R15 too. So far I'm impressed! Very user friendly, easy to cock, accurate, handles great!
Have had one issue so far, the serving on the string was starting to separate..Called Ravin CS and they sent a new string and cables
the next day. Time will tell but I love it so far!
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: My 1st crossbow - 03/30/18
My Barnet cross bow's trigger mec. broke. It's jammed.

It was fun shooting it in the basement as they are quiet.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: My 1st crossbow - 03/30/18
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Back to the rifles.

That 150 dollar crossbow didn't turn out to be such a bargain aye.. The old addage, you get what you pay for looks like it came to fruition here.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/03/18
Originally Posted by Highoctane

Back to the rifles.

That 150 dollar crossbow didn't turn out to be such a bargain aye.. The old addage, you get what you pay for looks like it came to fruition here.

Highoctane:

What crossbows do you use and recommend?
Posted By: Highoctane Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/03/18

Back to the rifles.

Highoctane:

I have owned Mission and Tenpoint crossbows. I currently have a Tenpoint FX4. I understand that discretionary, slush-fund income varies among people and I also understand that there are some that simply will not spend upwards and in excess of 1k or more for a bow but when I decided to get into crossbows I wanted a QUALITY built weapon that I could be confident in and base my decision on the other points that crossbow hunting offers rather than be "soured" by a bow that wasn't reliable. Simply put, I didn't want a cheaply built bow to be the weak link or the deciding factor in my decision on whether I liked crossbow hunting or not.

Crossbows are immensely powerful weapons. We're talking from 130 lb and upward of 200 for limbs on compound style to over 300 lb limbs on some recurve style. It takes a well designed and built bow to take that kind of abuse shot after shot. Stewart-Haas Racing doesn't contract the local auto parts store brand for their racing engine needs.

As far as my recommendation, I'm partial to Tenpoint but there are some REALLY good bows, albeit not cheap, out there. Mission, Scorpyd, Horton, Darton, Parker, etc. If I was "looking" for a bow I would first figure out what I could spend. Remember, there's always the route of "gently used" bows. Then I would evaluate my hunting style, tree stands, ground blinds, stalking etc. Then I would start researching bows that fit my style. I would also peruse some of the crossbow forums, crossbow nation, AT's crossbow area etc and read what others are saying, but always read with a subjective mind. As we know, some are just disgruntled and want to be argumentative about everything.
Posted By: SKane Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/03/18

Back to the rifles.

Highoctane:

I have owned Mission and Tenpoint crossbows. I currently have a Tenpoint FX4. I understand that discretionary, slush-fund income varies among people and I also understand that there are some that simply will not spend upwards and in excess of 1k or more for a bow but when I decided to get into crossbows I wanted a QUALITY built weapon that I could be confident in and base my decision on the other points that crossbow hunting offers rather than be "soured" by a bow that wasn't reliable. Simply put, I didn't want a cheaply built bow to be the weak link or the deciding factor in my decision on whether I liked crossbow hunting or not.

Crossbows are immensely powerful weapons. We're talking from 130 lb and upward of 200 for limbs on compound style to over 300 lb limbs on some recurve style. It takes a well designed and built bow to take that kind of abuse shot after shot. Stewart-Haas Racing doesn't contract the local auto parts store brand for their racing engine needs.

As far as my recommendation, I'm partial to Tenpoint but there are some REALLY good bows, albeit not cheap, out there. Mission, Scorpyd, Horton, Darton, Parker, etc. If I was "looking" for a bow I would first figure out what I could spend. Remember, there's always the route of "gently used" bows. Then I would evaluate my hunting style, tree stands, ground blinds, stalking etc. Then I would start researching bows that fit my style. I would also peruse some of the crossbow forums, crossbow nation, AT's crossbow area etc and read what others are saying, but always read with a subjective mind. As we know, some are just disgruntled and want to be argumentative about everything.

And all two-position safeties. whistle smile
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/21/18
Just got mine today, an Excalibur Matrix 380 Bulldog. One bolt assembly (apart from two screws for the quiver and mounting the scope). Took it outside and the first arrow was 4" low at 20 yards. Eight clicks and I'm on the money. Have to calibrate the scope for longer range after I play a bit.

Also ordered a crank. I can cock this okay, but at 66, I gotta be careful about putting myself out of action by not acting my age, and I want to shoot this thing a lot. Not many 130lb pulls left in this old back, I'm thinking. The crank reduces the effort to 12lbs.

This one wasn't cheap, but it's got a lifetime warranty and it should really hammer them. I'll pick up about 7 weeks in the deer woods by playing William Tell.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/21/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Just got mine today, an Excalibur Matrix 380 Bulldog. One bolt assembly (apart from two screws for the quiver and mounting the scope). Took it outside and the first arrow was 4" low at 20 yards. Eight clicks and I'm on the money. Have to calibrate the scope for longer range after I play a bit.

Also ordered a crank. I can cock this okay, but at 66, I gotta be careful about putting myself out of action by not acting my age, and I want to shoot this thing a lot. Not many 130lb pulls left in this old back, I'm thinking. The crank reduces the effort to 12lbs.

This one wasn't cheap, but it's got a lifetime warranty and it should really hammer them. I'll pick up about 7 weeks in the deer woods by playing William Tell.

Those 260 lb limbs are TOUGH...They'll max your "pucker" factor out ....LOL
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/23/18
Yep. My son, who's 6'5" and not old and fat gave it a whirl today for about 8 or ten shots, which was enough for him. He shoots a high-end compound at 70lbs but agreed this thing puts you in the game pretty quickly.

Funny, but this thing makes me want to grab my little recurve and play with that too.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/23/18
The triggers on both of my Barnett Recruits have broken and they are in the woodpile in the basement.

Now the trigger mechanism on the new $460 Barnett Whitetail Hunter will not hold the string back after working for twenty or so shots.

I never had trouble with my guns or cars or other machines. These crossbows are trouble so far.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/27/18
The crank for my Excalibur came yesterday. Pretty pricey, but oh what a difference! Will make it possible to reload in a tree too. Very well made.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/28/18
Fiddled a bit more with my Matrix today. Corrected a slight cant in my scope mounting and tweaked the zero. Tried the 30 yard aiming point and it was a couple inches low, so I have to tweak the speed dial too.

Every shot fired so far with this thing after zeroing would have easily killed a deer. None have been more than a couple inches off. Gotta say, it's well worth the money, especially considering the lifetime warranty.
Posted By: kellory Re: My 1st crossbow - 04/28/18
Enjoy it. Crossbows are fine tools. I've had very little mechanical trouble with any of mine. My first Barnett did have an issue with the sights loosening up due to vibration, but a bit of locktight took care of that.
Unlike some vertical bow wet blankets believe, most crossbow men shoot a lot, for the enjoyment. I've had rounds shooting 300-400 shafts, open sights.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/03/18
The Ravin's look nice , but man that's a lot of money . I have a Parker , it has been dependable and a killer . 125 gr Rage , it penetrates . Had one come toward me quartered , shot from a tree stand , went through the shoulder , rolled guts out the exit hole and broke the rear leg . Yeah I was impressed . Took two at fifty yds quartered away and a couple broadside shots at normal ranges , broadside . They all dropped quick .
Have a Barnett quad 400 , but after after shooting the Parker , I can't seem to get back into the Barnett . But it did kill just as well .
Kenneth
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/04/18
I just got two used crossbows, and a extra custom foreend. The fore end is an Excalibur micro to fit the Koda bow. I have not gotten it yet in the mail.

I got a Ravin R 9 and a Koda bow Zulu scout.

The ravin is lighter, better trigger, faster, more accurate.

The Koda bow is easier to maintain,and can break down for packing on mules.

Both are very impressive.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My 1st crossbow - 06/13/18
Took my Matrix Bulldog 380 to 40 yards today. The speed dial setting of 330 I set at 30 yards continued to be spot-on. I did tweak the windage about an inch. So far, every bolt fired since I got this thing, including the shots fired at 20 yards before adjusting the scope, would have easily killed a deer. Shoud have tried this years ago.

I do have to run a mental checklist to avoid whoopsies. To date, I've "tested" the anti-dryfire mechanism once, and forgot to put the crank handle through the wriststrap once as well. No biggie with the dryfire, but if that crank runs loose on you it could smart.
© 24hourcampfire