Home
Posted By: j_elky Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
What do you all like for a two blade broadhead? Magnus, Grizzly?

I'm thinking of something a bit heavier, say 125 gr or 150 gr.

I'll be shooting them at deer and eventually elk.

thanks....Jeff
Posted By: JGray Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
Modern gear or traditional? I like the Silver Flame 125 gr in my compound and the Zwickey Delta with stick bows.
Posted By: REvans1957 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
I used to shoot Magnus 2 blade, 125 grain heads until my hunting buddy gave me some Zwickey 125 grainers. They're all I shoot now as they seem to sharpen easier than the Magnus heads did. I use a Tru Angle sharpener. It's the one mounted on a "V" block with 2 files attached. I shoot traditional. 2 piece Palmer recurve, #51 @ 28" draw. Nothing but lodgepole pine shafts, 3 fletch left helical feathers.
Posted By: SGT26 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
Traditional shooter here. I use the Magnus II Stingers in 125 grainers .
Posted By: SGT26 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by REvans1957
I used to shoot Magnus 2 blade, 125 grain heads until my hunting buddy gave me some Zwickey 125 grainers. They're all I shoot now as they seem to sharpen easier than the Magnus heads did. I

Interesting....... I shot the Zwickeys for a while there and had the opposite in sharpening. Found them harder to sharpen than the Magnus. Probably me .
Posted By: j_elky Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
45-50lb compound.
I'll pass on the two blades.
Posted By: j_elky Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
Bad experiences?
Posted By: hookeye Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
I used the Magnus 2 blade. Easier to sharpen than Zwickey imho. Killed deer. Good shots too. BT not the best. Switched to Stingers w bleeders. Killed deer. Better BTs.

Dunno if tough enough for elk.

Shooting FF rated trad gear of 55#.....i like the old Magnus Snuffer. Guess out of production now. Thatd be my go to for deer.

Elk.....think a tool steel head of some sort. Maybe cutthroat single bevel. Doubt i ever go trad for elk anyway
Posted By: dale06 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
I’ve killed quite a bit of stuff with Magnus Stingers, two blade with bleeders. Great head in my view.
I’ve switched to Iron Will two blade with bleeders. They are the ultimate, in my view, but expensive.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
3 blade for deer. If going 2 blade its gotta have bleeders.
Want a hole not a slit

Bought G5 strikers to try. Worked great from wheels.
Friggin spooky sharp.

Will shoot something and report back LOL. 54# blackwidow.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
Iron Wills.

They are pricey as all get out but I am pretty impressed with them.

Intend to shoot a bison with them at the end of August.

That'll be a good test but so far they are tough as nails and penetrate like an SOB.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
i went back to using Zwickey Eskimo 2 blade with bleeders,i have no problem sharpening them but i learned how 50 years ago. i do have to use 5 inch helical vanes and lowered my poundage on my compound to 50 lbs. and with a little tuning they fly excellent and slip right thru a deer and draw plenty blood for a good blood trail too if you can sharpen them correctly.good luck with your choice,Pete53
Posted By: Judman Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/29/19
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I'll pass on the two blades.

Agreed, for me I'll take 4, more cuttin the better.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/30/19
Viper trick - two elk, two pass-through.

DRT Dirtnap - have a pack to try on deer, like collars for the extra weight, but haven’t flown them yet.

I’ll probably try the Wicked Trick at some point this season
Posted By: j_elky Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/30/19
Jud....what do you like for broadheads?
Posted By: Judman Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/30/19
Used muzzy alot, when I start slinging arrows again, slick trick will get a hard look. I've killed a bunch of deer with the old bear razors with the bleeder blades installed, the worked pretty good. Shot the rocket ultimate steeles a bit, everyone I recovered shed blades so I shiit canned them. I like the thought of more blades for more hemorrhaging buyer entry\exit wounds. That my thoughts, but I also shoot Remington, leupold, Talley lw's and ballistic tips for big deer... Grin 😂😂
Originally Posted by j_elky
Bad experiences?

I am not a fan of two blades. They don't fly as well as three or four blades. I know someone will rush in here to say different. But truth of the matter is that They just don't spin like three or four blades.

I shoot pretty much all Razor Tricks. But have used others from Muzzy and WASP.

thanks....Jeff

Jeff, if your set on 2 blade, check out kudu point, but I work with kills a couple bulls a year with em, he loves em.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Bad experiences?

I am not a fan of two blades. They don't fly as well as three or four blades. I know someone will rush in here to say different. But truth of the matter is that They just don't spin like three or four blades.

I shoot pretty much all Razor Tricks. But have used others from Muzzy and WASP.

Agreed - a two blade will show any flaws in your bow's tuning, or your form/release.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/30/19
I get 2 blades to fly just fine. But am running higher FOC.
Also never popped em over 280 FPS
Everything gets 4" helical feathers w decent offset too
Posted By: pete53 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/30/19
with my 2 blade with bleeders Zwickey eskimos i gotta keep them under 250 FPS and they fly very nice then. but for distance this set-up fall`s out of the sky quickly too. 30 yards is my max but where i sit for bucks its thick and that would be a long shot anyway my set-up is very quiet.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/30/19
Used to shoot Bear SuperRazorheads with the chisel point. Shot one through a deer one fall on a hard quartering angle and it cut 5 ribs in half like a bandsaw, two on the entry side and 3 going out. I was amazed. When I rarely get out to bow hunt these days I use some old Grizzly single bevels on cedar shafts. They’ll plow through some bone too but they’re a PITA to sharpen.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I get 2 blades to fly just fine. But am running higher FOC.
Also never popped em over 280 FPS
Everything gets 4" helical feathers w decent offset too

I run 75gr brass inserts and I believe the lightest arrow shaft I hunt with is at 11gr per inch. Like I said I am sure someone will come along and say that 2 blades fly fine. Fine is subjective, and I can get them to fly fine too. But you, me, or anyone else isn't getting them to fly better than three or four blade. Simple as physics and you can't change physics. But fine is good to go for some people. I prefer to get my setup as close to perfection as I can. If a two blade design held an advantage over three and four blade designs they would be selling a lot more two blade over three and four blades.
Good discussion guys, appreciate the input.

I was just looking at the Vipertricks, thoughts?

Jeff
Love them - if you want to try a couple, I could send them - I should a few extras in the practice box .

For me - two elk, two pass-through with them - and two bulls down with another member in my hunting group using them.

They are a bit more squirrelly out of a speed bow, but fly good for me with accurate tune.
I dunno what Magnus Stinger sales are.

They still in biz pushing their crappy 2 blades? LOL

FWIW I always run 125 gr heads.

Like a 3 blade because it cuts a hole, not a slit. Has nothing to do w flight.
Tore the chit out of the center of my buds Block target w em.
May have had to make minor vert adj.
HHA.
Zero windage adj.

I swapped out the vert pin front for a Viper 340 front and used one horiz pin.
Ripped stupid level out too.

Pretty good sight then, for 150..............yrs ago.

No probs w reg Stinger 2 blade. Shot a deer and didn't like the amount of red. Went bleeder model.
Mucho bettero.

Still not as good as those big honkin Snuffer heads..................I only shot them trad.
My fave.
Had a guy w a Bowtech Pro 40 dually cranked to 80# and he shot one of my carbons w Snuffer and it shot well.
Shocked the hell out of him.

Wondering what rotation/stabilization diff there is between Blazer, Speed Hunter and Orig Quickspin.
I always thought the Quickspin was too much.
Really could tell from 35 to 45 yards.
Buddy won IBO with em, but Hunter Class Triple Crown (max D 35).
Thanks for the offer, but I will just buy a 4 pack of the 125's to try out.
Just looked at the vipertricks, good looking head, lots of great reviews too
Ive shot the G5 Striker and Montecs....plus Snuffer SS ( all 3 blades)......and wonder how much their smaller size aids in tuning.

Never had probs shooting any of em.

But do wonder....a bit on the small size
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/30/19

thanks....Jeff

I do not shoot 2 blade heads. I am killing deer with a crossbow and I have penetration and speed to throw in the toilet. If I could get a four blade head with two sets of 2 inch blades I'd shoot that. # blade heads do a OK job 4 blade with a set of bleeders that are an inch and a set of cutters that are 1 7/8 or 2 inch are better. I have had 3 blade heads that were tough to keep flying well and I found that if I got them perfectly straight they mostly were not too bad to use, but Putting them on a spinner just before a shot at Bambi was not pratical. Muzzy 3s and NAP thunderheads are pretty good, but NAP Spitfire Double cross 4s have never given me trouble accuracy wise and never failed to open all 4 blades through a dozen deer.
Good discussion guys, appreciate the input.

I was just looking at the Vipertricks, thoughts?

Jeff

I like the Viper Trick shot it a little bit, killed a few whitetail with them. It flew and spun well for me. But I love COC so it is Razor Tricks for me.
Originally Posted by hookeye
I dunno what Magnus Stinger sales are.

They still in biz pushing their crappy 2 blades? LOL

Like a 3 blade because it cuts a hole, not a slit. Has nothing to do w flight.

No probs w reg Stinger 2 blade. Shot a deer and didn't like the amount of red. Went bleeder model.
Mucho bettero.

I will play along with your little game.

"I dunno what Magnus Stinger sales are.

They still in biz pushing their crappy 2 blades? LOL"

Nobody said they were crappy for one. Second nobody said they weren't still in business. A lot of products sell enough to stay in business. That doesn't mean their product is the cat's azz! As it doesn't mean that the product is crappy either. Just that there are better out there.

I am really sorry that you don't understand flight dynamics. But shoot what works for you.
Posted By: CaveTrout Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/31/19
Hi there- I much prefer a well made and razor sharp 2 blade. I shoot traditional equipment now, but have taken 90% of my deer and antelope and all of my bull elk with them when hunting with my cam bows. Penetration has always been pass-through with blood that Ray Charles could follow and trails that are very short. Shot placement will always outweigh blade count... Currently I think the single bevel Cutthroats and the double bevel VPA's are both strong contenders. I do like the Kudu's, but they won't hold up to solid shoulder hit on a big bull as well as the other two I mentioned. They do cut a very nasty hole though,and several of my buds will use nothing else. To be honest, i have used very successfully the old Bear Razorhead w/o the bleeders on at least 15 of my bucks and bulls. I don't have anything against a good cut on contact 3 blade at all. They fly great, cut a big hole, and are easy to tune. I am just a 2 blade guy I guess, cuz they always work for me.
Posted By: j_elky Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/31/19
MCH,

Curious, what do you see as the advantage of a COC head?
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/31/19
I'm probably going to use Magnus Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts this year, but in the 4 blade version. Have had a hell of a time getting anything to fly good off the wifes little bow, turns out Zwickey 175gr 2 blades shoot great, so that's what she'll be shooting....well 160's actually, since I can't find 175's around here
Posted By: pete53 Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/31/19
[quote=j_elky]MCH,

Curious, what do you see as the advantage of a COC head

i feel i get a much better blood trail ,animals seem to die faster for me. and my Zwickeys i sharpen have went thru a nice buck`s shoulder too
broadhead still looked good and this buck died fast too. i never had had a expandble broadhead do as much damage,or bleed as much as a hand sharpened cut on impact broadhead,i am talking about alot of deer for both types of broadheads killed over 50 years of killin deer with a bow and my friends and son`s deer too. but its a free world use what feel works best for you.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Two blade broadhead - 07/31/19
I understand vortices and drag.
Plus other.

Just don't have probs shooting 2 or 3 blade heads out to 50 yards.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/01/19
My favorite is the old fixed blade F 15.

Bought a bunch during close out three year ago or so.
MCH,

Curious, what do you see as the advantage of a COC head?

More like what advantage do I see from a chisel point, None.

Penetration is better specially on slower bows like my Long bow, recurve, and Vantage LTD that I shoot fingers with, big slicing holes that bleed out very well, and they have never not punched through bone if I make a bad shot and hit the shoulder.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/01/19
my son and myself do use a expandable broadheads for elk made and sold by Randy Elmer and i have plenty and those heads are no longer made or sold but i believe were the best expandable broadhead made. the reason we use them is shots can be up to 50 yards for elk and those Elmer heads have killed elk very well for us ,but i still perfer Zwickey broadheads for deer hunting.
Posted By: Judman Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/05/19
Pard is in Africa right now, so far hes killed 10 animals from eland to baboon, he's using exodus 100 gr deep sixes, recovered every animals and arrow, no broken or shed blades. Great performance of you ask me.
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/06/19
Muzzy HyBrid 2 fixed blade & 2 expandable blades. Killed several deer and an elk with them. "IF" the worst case happens an the expandables do not open you have 2 spooky sharp fixed to do the job. Tossed the Rages into the trash my fall back BH are Slick Trick 4 blade
Posted By: rost495 Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/06/19
COC take less energy to penetrate. Pretty simple there.

The other thing is where do you draw the line? If 3 is better than 2...

OTOH when we wanted a big hole the old 200 grain IIRC Snuffers did that.

2 blade Magnus and Z Deltas shot well enough for us. But our game is spooky and you better not shoot past 15 steps or so anyway or they would move and that was bad. Normally.

Shot placement is the key like with anything.

That said more blades have been easier to tune and fly better, thats been true since I started this in the late 70s.

While expandables have come a long way, I"ll never use them again after a couple of really wild experiences.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/06/19
I can't see anything bad when it comes down to shooting three blade heads, so I do. Trad and compound.
I like the extra cutting edge for the damage potential it has. Witnessed it.
I like the set angle for sharpening. Easy work.
I like the balance and the results I have with tuning the arrow/bow for accuracy and flight. Witnessed it.

VPA has impressed me greatly., on deer and bear. It took a lot to take my Muzzys off my arrows. 30 years I shot them.

Notice the "I" is there a lot, because sometimes it is pure personal opinion what works best.
Originally Posted by rost495
COC take less energy to penetrate. Pretty simple there.

The other thing is where do you draw the line? If 3 is better than 2...

That said more blades have been easier to tune and fly better, thats been true since I started this in the late 70s.

Correct!

3 and 4 blades both work well. Flight wise I don't see a lot of difference, I like 4 for the cutting.

Correct!
Posted By: bbassi Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/07/19
All trad here for the last 20 plus years. With the exception of a couple whitetails I killed with stone knapped points, all of my kills have been with 3 or 4 blade COC heads. That said, my best bud has shot the vast majority of his with 2 blade Zwickey Eskimos, and he's color blind. LOL

What I love about the COC 3 blades like the Snuffers, Woodsman's and the new VPA is they are stupid simple to get scary sharp. all you need is a wide flat file and maybe some automotive wet/dry sandpaper on a flat table. No real skill necessary.

I guess it all comes down to what gives you confidence.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/07/19
bbassi,

A question about mounting your Woodsmans. Do you align one of the blades with the cock feather or any other special technique? I'll be hunting with some this fall and I'm always open to advice or tricks.

I've used some two blades but haven't killed with either those or the three bladed ones, so I can't speak to their effectiveness. I'm the unlucky guy who has shots at does during buck season and vice versa, or sees elk when I have a whitetail tag, or turkeys during elk season.

Geno
Posted By: bbassi Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/07/19
No, I've never bothered with that. I do spin test them once the head is mounted to make sure there is no wobble in the tip but that's about it, and I usually shoot big old Snuffer 145 or 160s that have a pretty wide profile.
Posted By: aalf Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/07/19

https://journalofmountainhunting.co...oadheads-the-natal-study-by-dr-ed-ashby/
Originally Posted by bbassi
No, I've never bothered with that. I do spin test them once the head is mounted to make sure there is no wobble in the tip but that's about it, and I usually shoot big old Snuffer 145 or 160s that have a pretty wide profile.

Thanks, I'll likely not mess with the ones I have mounted.

Geno

Thanks aalf,

I believe I saw that article, or one similar by Dr Ashby, in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine.

I've some Grizzlys because of that article. I'll try them next season again.

Geno
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/10/19
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Viper trick - two elk, two pass-through.

DRT Dirtnap - have a pack to try on deer, like collars for the extra weight, but haven’t flown them yet.

I’ll probably try the Wicked Trick at some point this season

Greg....the dirtnaps bend too easily for my taste. Fly the wickeds and dont look back
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/10/19
I can fly the Wicked Tricks on bareshaft out to 30 and they fly exactly like my fp. Add fletchings and im good to 80. Its all in how well you can tune your bow. And of course just how good your form is
Posted By: Judman Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/10/19
Nothing like a 25 yo study to get stuff goin!! 😂😂

With today's arrows, bows, and broadheads, I'll take a 3 or 4 blade broadhead, again, for deer, and eventually elk...
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/12/19
If you want a traditional two blades broadhead, nothing works better than Ace. They are super tough and super easy to sharpen.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Two blade broadhead - 08/14/19
I've been bowhunting since1955. I've used3 and n4 blade heads but have killed most of my game with 2 blade heads. I like the ease of sharpening and I've never had a problem with how they fly.

This is a picture of me in deer camp in 1958. Note the 2 blade Goshawk" heads in an uncovered bow quiver .The two coons came in to a wild apple tree I was sitting under....we ate both o them

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire