Home
Posted By: killahog Skunk as cover scent - 11/10/19
This might be a crazy idea but I am wondering if anyone has actually taken a road killed skunk and used it as cover scent?.
Posted By: kingston Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/10/19
$50 says Kellory has experience with this.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/10/19
Why try to collect it from a roadkill? You can buy it from most any good trapping supply house in either liquid or essence form. I've used it, use it very sparingly. I much preferred fox urine from a reputable trapping supply house, hopefully one that hunters don't buy from so they don't educate the deer.

But I'm still a firm believer that you can't fool a deers nose no matter what you do, except make sure you use the wind to your advantage.
Posted By: scott_arthur Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/10/19
I've only used skunk essence for the last 40 yrs., so YMMV. But, it's a rare day deer hunting that I don't have a bottle down wind of my stand!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/10/19
So, do some think that deer can't tell that there are two scents in the wind, one skunk and one human?
Posted By: scott_arthur Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/10/19
Originally Posted by Rug3
So, do some think that deer can't tell that there are two scents in the wind, one skunk and one human?

That has been my observation IF the skunk musk has been pure quill or a very good tincture.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/10/19
Originally Posted by killahog
This might be a crazy idea but I am wondering if anyone has actually taken a road killed skunk and used it as cover scent?.
It's a crazy idea! 😃
Posted By: killahog Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/11/19
I agree but but crazy might work.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/25/19
Originally Posted by killahog
I agree but but crazy might work.

Taking a bath and paying attention to the wind works much better
Posted By: keith Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/25/19
My family has been using a product for years that kills human scent, coyotes, deer, etc.

spray it on

coyotes will never smell your scent on your tracks if you spray the bottoms of your boots, nor you if you spray it on you. LOTS of stories. I have had does bed down at the base of my ladder stand with my back pack laying right behind them, etc.

This stuff is not killer expensive

I am in no way affiliated with this guy, related to him, met him once.

Contact me and I will give you his information.

You can cut an onion in half, spray it, and you will not smell the onion, nor will it burn your eyes.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/25/19
I don't have to kill and elk or deer that bad to use it.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/25/19
Years ago a friend used commercial skunk scent to cover his. He quit using it he said because it scared deer away.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/25/19
Used to use it for coyote calling. Not really sure if it was effective or not...but I think not. I know for sure if I used it in dead of winter when skunks weren't out, it would alarm the coyotes and scare them off. Yes, they are THAT smart...
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/25/19
eek Yes, that's a crazy idea. Can't even imagine doing something like that. My wife would never let me back in the house after that. It seems a little extreme just to kill a deer. I can kill plenty of deer without the use of cover scents, buck lure, or bait. Don't really need to go down that road, especially skunk scent.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/25/19
IF you have to use something, I used coon or fox. When we tried skunk, we found out that you need to open the bottle, take a toothpick and BARELY touch the stuff and toss the toothpick out. Any more seemed it would alarm the deer. I mean if a skunk sprays its for a reason...it should be nothing more than a faint odor
Posted By: Tejano Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/26/19
It works but keep in mind that it is an alarm smell and it is nasty too. No matter how careful I was I always got some on me or my gear. I have seen it alarm deer on a couple of occasions. I like to take a shower when I can and use something that smells nice like cedar, spruce or sage and stay up wind if possible.

Unless you are in a bubble boy suit you will be putting out scent.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Years ago a friend used commercial skunk scent to cover his. He quit using it he said because it scared deer away.

this. the most idiotic cover scent ever developed.
Posted By: killahog Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/27/19

Originally Posted by keith
My family has been using a product for years that kills human scent, coyotes, deer, etc.

spray it on

coyotes will never smell your scent on your tracks if you spray the bottoms of your boots, nor you if you spray it on you. LOTS of stories. I have had does bed down at the base of my ladder stand with my back pack laying right behind them, etc.

This stuff is not killer expensive

I am in no way affiliated with this guy, related to him, met him once.

Contact me and I will give you his information.

You can cut an onion in half, spray it, and you will not smell the onion, nor will it burn your eyes.

This is interesting,
Posted By: MOGC Re: Skunk as cover scent - 11/30/19
Originally Posted by rost495
IF you have to use something, I used coon or fox. When we tried skunk, we found out that you need to open the bottle, take a toothpick and BARELY touch the stuff and toss the toothpick out. Any more seemed it would alarm the deer. I mean if a skunk sprays its for a reason...it should be nothing more than a faint odor

The idea that a single toothpick barely touched to skunk scent could somehow completely cover the scent of a man and all his gear doesn't make any sense to me. I subscribe to the idea that any deer downwind might smell the faint odor of skunk, but they will also certainly smell my fresh 200 lbs. and all my assorted gear. Best to play the wind to your advantage.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Skunk as cover scent - 12/01/19
Back when I was crazier than I am now, I got a glass bottle of the stuff and frankly I'm not sure it worked or not. I wasn't near as socially acceptable using it though. My buddy, only slightly less crazy than I was, wanted some and I told him to bring a bottle when we got together to shoot our bows one Saturday. I made the transfer to his plastic bottle and he forgot it in the back of the Cadillac until the next morning when he and the wife went to church. Corey was in the plastic business and didn't seem to realize that a plastic bottle is a permeable substrate at least for skunk juice.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Skunk as cover scent - 12/02/19
when i was young i bagged a a dead skunk and used it under a deer stand , also tried all the scent tricks as a bowhunter ,do scents work ? kinda, but the wind direction is the most important tool used to hide your scent always. but one scent it seems bucks are attracted too is a lady that smells good seen it many times.
Posted By: ElmerFudd Re: Skunk as cover scent - 12/02/19
Why would a deer go looking for a skunk?
Posted By: keith Re: Skunk as cover scent - 12/02/19
If you want to cover your scent, contact George at:

[email protected]

My family has been using his product for over 10 years without coyotes or deer smelling us, the product is orderless.

I have rattled up many bucks to my tree stand, they circled and walked off If they were not shooters. I have had many deer bed down within feet of my ladder stand, they did not smell my back pack or my tracks around the stand. Many coyotes have crossed my path walking to a stand with NONE ever smelling me.

I have killed 8 coyotes with a pistol because they never smelled me, GP100 and Kimber 45 ACP.

George has an amazing product, it is inexpensive, about $20 for what you will use during an entire season.

I am in no way affiliated with Geoge, just a dedicated predator and deer hunter. Hog hunters will really benefit from a lack of scent also.
Posted By: killahog Re: Skunk as cover scent - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by keith
If you want to cover your scent, contact George at:

[email protected]

My family has been using his product for over 10 years without coyotes or deer smelling us, the product is orderless.

I have rattled up many bucks to my tree stand, they circled and walked off If they were not shooters. I have had many deer bed down within feet of my ladder stand, they did not smell my back pack or my tracks around the stand. Many coyotes have crossed my path walking to a stand with NONE ever smelling me.

I have killed 8 coyotes with a pistol because they never smelled me, GP100 and Kimber 45 ACP.

George has an amazing product, it is inexpensive, about $20 for what you will use during an entire season.

I am in no way affiliated with Geoge, just a dedicated predator and deer hunter. Hog hunters will really benefit from a lack of scent also.

I emailed George he did not reply.
© 24hourcampfire