Home
Posted By: stikshooter Old Bear shooters - 03/03/20
Any old Bear shooters/collectors on the fire? I like the old Kodiaks. I have 57 through 66 except the 1960 model. What is your favorite? Mine would probably be the 1962 60” Kodiak.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/04/20
Super grizzly 4 me sir.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/04/20
Try TradGang.com
Lots of them there.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/04/20
Blue striped Super Kodiak 52# circa 72?, 50# Kodiak Hunter age? no stain all natural wood color, HC300 38# and more others than I can count all waiting for me in retirement. My younger brother has over 400 recurves maybe he has whatever you are willing to pay for. MB
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/04/20
Had a mint factory camo Kodiak.
Worst recurve I ever had.
Shock was wicked, no matter what.
Had 3 or 4 Grizzly, and they were much more pleasant.
Limb resonance though, thought magic mushrooms (Sims) looked funky so did Vibracheck bands.
Solved the prob.

Like the old Bears better than Damon Howatts, grips on the latter suck for me.
Had a Super D and a couple of 2800s. Couldn't get used to em.

Might try a Bear TD A riser some time.

Just because. Not cheap. May try for a mag riser in A (but they pricey any more).
New one would be FF rated limbs.

Been running mostly Blackwidows. Their standard grip works great for me and I like the look and feel.

But................I'd be willing to try a K mag for bowfishing.
So keep an eye out for a deal.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/04/20
Started out bow hunting with a green and gray Bear Grizzly in the 70’s. Most fun I ever had bow hunting, even though I am much more successful now. I have a few old Bears that I should pass on to someone who collects. I believe one is the short Kodiak.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/05/20
Let minnow what you got! I have an Amish bunch who are bear fanatics! But I love them grizzlys.
Posted By: stikshooter Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/05/20
I have a 59 grizzly that is a shooting machine.
I have and have had Black widow, Blacktails , Bob Lee, Sarrels etc.. but find I have more fun shooting the older Bear bows. I still find it amazing that 50 + year old bows still shoot as good as they do.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/06/20
They shoot well because they dont magnify errors w speed wink
Posted By: 1bigdude Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/09/20
Grizzled Tamberlanes Kodiak 3pc take downs with 2 lengthy of limbs
Posted By: 44mc Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/10/20
i have one bear recurve i bout used in the late 70s still have the wood arrows with a broadhead attached from the factory
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/13/20
"They shoot well because they dont magnify errors with speed"

Good way to put it hook. I love the notion that a bow can be friendly to your shooting even though you're form is a long way from perfect and they have that easy go look. But I'm the kind of fraidy cat that just knows I would get the one that spent twenty years in the attic, in Florida.
Posted By: sscoyote Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/13/20
Just had some pistol work done and traded my gunsmith for his 45 lb. Kodiak Hunter (that I need for bowfishing) but thinking I'd hate to get it funky with carp grundge.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/13/20
I got one from the 60's that had minimal stress lines but was badly twisted.
Grizzly 45#.
Think it took me 3 tries to get the twist out and it stayed out.
Shot fine.
Was a fun bow. Slow but shot fine.
Only issue was a weird noise. Same on a 50# I got.
Puffs, no matter what the brace or arrow.
Figured out it was limb resonance.

Not string.

The grips on the old Bears work for me.
But I like a thinner one, w a curved shelf, cut past center...........so shoot a different brand.

However, I'd like to try a classic K mag.
My uncle had one, passed a couple weeks ago.
Have no idea if my cousins are gonna keep or sell it.
If sell I'd like to buy it.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/22/20
I've cycled through a bunch of old Bears over the years. There's a couple I wish I still had like the 56" 68 Grizzly I took my first black bear with. Never should have sold that one. Today the only one I have is a 68 Super Kodiak in the black phonolic (sp?) finish. It fits me perfect and has been a real killer with cedars and old bear greenies +bleeders.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/22/20
I have a 1959 Kodiak Special, amo 68" , 40#@28" . A beautiful shooter. Very smooth.

I have a 1962 Bear Polar with zebrawood riser (amo 66" , 41@28" ). Very quick. Great shooter. Love it.

Had a 1959 Bear Polar ( amo 64" , 47@28" ). Great shooter, but somebody wanted it more than I did. Sold it.

Had a 1967 Tigercat (amo 62" , 40#@28" ). Nice looking bow, but I thought it was slow. Wasn't too impressed with it. Sold it.

Now let's talk.about my 1967 Wing Archery Red Wing Hunter (amo 58" , 41#@28" ). NICE bow. REALLY nice.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/22/20
Had two Redwing Hunters, both 45#.
Nice bows, but nothing that got me wound up.
Wanted to try a slimline, guy wouldn't sell.

Took a Frank Ketchum 4 wheeler and yanked riser, and warfed it.
Fun little project.

Would like to shoot a new Bear Kmag and TD.
Have only shot older ones.
Posted By: covejeepsxj Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/23/20
‘64 Kodiak is/was my Favorite Vintage Bear
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/23/20
I need to shoot my buds Blackwidow PCH some more.
Like a 58" PSA fine (had two built).
Have an HS that's 58"..............just a cool azz bow. Love the grips on those tanks (metal riser).
Just thinking get something a little shorter and lighter DW.
They changed the forms so got limb efficiency up a bit
I dunno if my 2004 was, or they did the limb change after.
Posted By: Sykotik Re: Old Bear shooters - 03/23/20
I have a 1970 Kodiak Magnum. 45# at 28". Problem is I draw 31 1/2 " on the compound so I'm thinking this little 52" bow won't work to well for actual shooting.

Don't really matter though.... I bought it 6 years ago simply because my Dad had one like it when I was young. I have a string for it but when I string it up and practice drawing, It pinches the Hell out of my fingers.

Maybe just hang it on the wall.....It looks good.
Posted By: AMB Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/09/20
Just getting in to traditional archery, and went with 2 new Bear's.
45# Super Grizzly and a 50# Montana.
Planning on working slowly into it and deciding what my preference is between long and recurve.
I sometimes wonder if I should have bought older ones. Or are the new production bows pretty comparable?
Seems you went about it a little backwards. Should have asked questions first.

I would say you bought two bows that are too much weight of draw to be starting out with.
Posted By: AMB Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/09/20
Well have been getting help from a couple friends and have shot a couple of their lighter bows a bit.
Been shooting each bow alternating every other day and no more than 2 dozen shots.
Not having any issues with injury from over poundage, and probably pulling approximately 27".
Guess I shouldn't have posted, but thanks for input, I understand and respect your thoughts.
So far I like both bows, and will keep them. I have wanted something like them for a while and glad I bought them.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/09/20
If somebody is gonna start out, and hunt with their starter bow, I'd say 45# at their draw length.
Assuming a 20-40 yr old guy of avg size/build.

My Ben Pearson Hunter 2 was 45# (first recurve).
My Damon Howatt Superdiablo was 46#
and my first Bear Grizzly was 45#.

I shot 55-65# compounds fingers, so a 45# recurve was no big deal, and actually felt kinda wimpy.
Of course that was dang near 35 yrs ago.

Nowadays, 55# takes some dedication. 45# feels wussy......but 50# seems decent LOL
Buddy has a new Blackwidow, 42# and I can draw and hold that thing forever.
And I'm pretty beat up.

Proly do a test drive and see how a 56" PCH at 47# shoots.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/09/20
Am content to call my 54# widow my "heavy bow" smile
Tried to buy my old 62# off the guy I sold it to.
Just to have it back, was my first new Blackwidow. 1987
Originally Posted by AMB
Well have been getting help from a couple friends and have shot a couple of their lighter bows a bit.
Been shooting each bow alternating every other day and no more than 2 dozen shots.
Not having any issues with injury from over poundage, and probably pulling approximately 27".
Guess I shouldn't have posted, but thanks for input, I understand and respect your thoughts.
So far I like both bows, and will keep them. I have wanted something like them for a while and glad I bought them.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You asked a question and I gave it an honest answer. Sorry it wasn't what you were searching for. Truth is 2 dozen shots is nothing. The trad game doesn't just come to you. You need to shoot a lot and often. Guys ego's always get in the way of them becoming good shooters fast. One reason why kids do so well at a young age in archery. They aren't worried about draw weight and they just want to shoot a lot. Add good coaching and that is a solid receipe for success. Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: DBT Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/10/20
I've got a Bear Outbreak, Firenock ceramic ball bearing arrow rest, aftermarket stabilizers, roller string tensioner, etc. A nice little compact bow. I'm happy with it.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/10/20
Another reason some folks have to shoot a ton of arrows, they use an unconscious gap in aiming (many call it instinctive).

A higher anchor point, with a three under tab, and a heavy arrow, may allow you to use the arrow tip as a sight.
And that may be learned rather quickly.

Of course this assumes your anchor/form/release are repeatable.

I don't like my drawing arm up that high at anchor, shot a little lower anchor for years and it just feels awkward.
But I messed up a couple fingers (one on each hand) and couldn't shoot much (pain).
So I tried the aiming method and for that arrow/ bow setup, it worked.

Much prefer split, middle finger corner of mouth, and unconscious gap shooting.
Its fluid and more fun for me. But it requires a lot of practice.
Hopefully other injuries and aging won't keep me from going back to my old method.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/10/20
Start out concentrating on form and aim. Keep record of the number of arrows shot and develop a plan to increase that over time. Quit for the day as soon as you start making bad shots.
Posted By: AMB Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/10/20
Thanks for all of the tips and advice.
I'm not offended, and do appreciate and respect it all.
I am liking the long bow better so far. It is very quiet and a smoother draw.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Old Bear shooters - 04/10/20
There is a lot of BS on some supposed trad forums.
On either side of the spectrum.

Here is an excellent video, and it's pleasant to watch.

Its long but well worth the time.

© 24hourcampfire