Home
Posted By: MontanaMarine Samick Discovery - 03/15/20
Alternativess.com was/is clearing out Samick Discovery 2019 risers for $143. I couldn't resist.

https://www.alternativess.com/archery/shop/Samick_Discovery_riser/SAMDISR

Also got a set of long 45# R3 limbs (62" overall), a flemish twist fast flight string, and a Cartel stick-on rest. The entire order was $287 delivered. Arrived from the UK in 2 days.

Weather turned cold here, but got in some practice in the garage. 14 yards. A little robin hood action.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 03/15/20
I was gonna get a riser from them (Alternative) but all they had left was the tan (RH)
Thought a black w Uukha shorts would be a nice treestand rig around 47#
3Rivers is $250 for a riser.

Place in Michigan does 15" ILF but riser there around 500.

Discovery looks to be a "best buy" smile
Shorts gets 58" and I'd like 56 or 58".
So a 15" riser w med/shorts is ideal.

But they don't make a 15" discovery.
17" doable for me w shorts as 58" works fine for hunting/3d for me.

Nice rig, keep us informed as you go.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 03/16/20
Will do.

I had been looking at the same setup from 3Rivers, about $470 for the same setup.

I was pretty quick to jump on the Alternative price of $287 shipped.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 03/20/20
Got some fletch, need some 300s to put em on.
Laid off, might as well test bows smile
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 03/20/20
Mine seems to be liking 31" 400 spine with 145gr point, and 32" 340 spine with 200gr point.

I'm drawing almost 31", so I'm guessing my 45# limbs are probably more like 52# on the fingers, give or take.
I ran GT400s w added weight up front on Blackwidow SA2 55# (Dyna 97 strung).
Ran em on 57# PSA2.
Added 50 more gr and did a HS 60#, B50 strung.
Worked on 55# HS, B50 strung.

Found an HS, Dyna 97 era, 54#.............and they were weak. Papertune/bareshaft same results (screw the tards on other forums).

Went 340 and bullet holes. But w 125s and not long.
So................if wanting 20% FOC, gotta go 300's.

Plus I have a 50-70# Oneida Aeroforce compound, and they require more spine, think it due to string overtravel.
340s did not work on my 60-80# Aeroforce, even when at 60#.
Checked Alternative today, 2020 Discovery risers w pocket weights in. $240?
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 03/21/20
Originally Posted by hookeye
Checked Alternative today, 2020 Discovery risers w pocket weights in. $240?

I saw that too.
Posted By: ribka Re: Samick Discovery - 03/21/20
NICE!

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Alternativess.com was/is clearing out Samick Discovery 2019 risers for $143. I couldn't resist.

Also got a set of long 45# R3 limbs (62" overall), a flemish twist fast flight string, and a Cartel stick-on rest. The entire order was $287 delivered. Arrived from the UK in 2 days.

Weather turned cold here, but got in some practice in the garage. 14 yards. A little robin hood action.

what limbs are those? Trying to find 45 lbs on their web site
Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 03/21/20
Discovery limbs:

R3 limbs
https://www.alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0033159.3.13738612546416057647/SAMDIS3L

R1 limbs
https://www.alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0033159.3.13449451256816057647/SAMDISL

Have to hit select options # box to get availability list to pop up
Originally Posted by ribka

Those are the Samick R3 (Long, 62" on 17" riser) 45# limbs.
Originally Posted by ribka

Those are the Samick R3 (Long, 62" on 17" riser) 45# limbs.

thanks
Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 03/21/20
Just curious Shane, now that you have some experience shooting longbows, what is your impression shooting recurves (for comparison)? I started with recurves in the '70s and switched to longbows in the '80's. Though I shoot more consistently with recurves, I still prefer shooting longbows and spend far more time with them.

The whole ILF system is intriguing - opens up all kinds of options for limbs from many manufacturers. A couple years ago, Samick was closing out their Black Max Carbon Extreme ILF limbs for 1/2 price so I bought a set on a whim without doing any research. That started the search for an ILF riser - I wanted wood which was difficult to find at the time and I eventually ended up with a Dryad riser. It's a great shooting combo but the limbs draw around 5 lbs heavier than marked and I'm considering a set of lighter weight limbs from Dryad.
Jerry, The recurve feels really nice. I think the biggest difference might be the weight of the bow. it's more than double the weight of the Slick Stick. The draw has a bit different feel too, maybe a little smoother feeling near full draw?

I had been shooting the Discovery for a few days, then picked up the 35# Slick Stick. My first shots were kind of of messy, then I guess my brain sorted out the difference and I was shooting some of my better shots.

Then I broke out the Toelke and same thing, after a mental adjustment, things went pretty well. The 64" Toelke sure is a smooth draw, now that I have a few others to reference.
The ILF system does bring a lot of possibilities with interchangeability between brands.
Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 03/21/20
I do believe the heavier physical weight of the recurve aids in a consistent anchor, release and follow-through (at least for me). I concur the draw does feel smoother on the recurve, however after measuring draw weight increase at varies points in the draw cycle on both recurves and the hybrid longbows I build, I find they are nearly identical. Both typically gain 2.5-3 lbs per inch of draw approaching my 28"-29" draw. This makes me wonder if the percieved smoother draw is more due to the increased physical weight.

Though recurves can be made to shoot very quietly, I've yet to be able to make one as quiet as a longbow and I think that is one of the primary factors bringing me back to the longbow. With ILF longbow limbs becoming more common, maybe that is the best combination of everything!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 03/22/20
I like Blackwidow takedowns. They aint the lightest.
Am currently running an old alloy riser.
Its a freakin tank.
Shoots and feels good
Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 03/22/20
So the Discovery w shorts might be what i like.
Esp w new weights
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 03/28/20
Wind settled down today, did some shooting at 20 and 30 yards. With the 32" 340 spine and 200gr point I was hitting left consistently. Switched to 175gr points and that seemed to bring it on line.

20yards, with the 200gr. I was shooting at the 3-o'clock hex. Those are some Gold tip 340s, I did the 4-fletch myself. Managed four in a nice cluster, but two out of the group....just keeping it real here. The 175gr points did bring it together better.

A couple more pics, Safari tough side quiver seems pretty user friendly.

I made up some string silencers with gutted 550 cord. Seems to work pretty well.

Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 03/29/20
Looking good! Hadn't heard of making string silencers with that - interesting. I bought a roll of wool yarn years ago to make mine and probably have a lifetime supply.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 03/29/20
Originally Posted by JGray
Looking good! Hadn't heard of making string silencers with that - interesting. I bought a roll of wool yarn years ago to make mine and probably have a lifetime supply.

I stumbled across the idea on youtube. Here's a good and quick tutorial,

Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 03/29/20
Thanks for the link - sounds like an improvement over yarn and looks easier to do. I will definitely give it a try - I assume they fray out from shooting so no need to separate the strands after installing on the string?
Yes they fray out pretty fast.
Posted By: sscoyote Re: Samick Discovery - 03/29/20
Great link--thks. sir! I'm also a traditionalist. Have had a number of recurves over the years, but only one custom many years ago--Groves Spitfire 70 lbs, when I thought I was tough enough. Bowfishing mostly these days. Have a great bowfishing spot here in Pueblo, CO, and a little boat that gets me into the gnarly nooks and crannies there. Using an old Herters Perfection 55 lbs. (still a bit too much) as it's super-short and very maneuverable in the tight spots.
sscoyote, I'm just a very new traditional archer. Started out last spring, so almost a year I've been at it now.

My first bow was a 50# Bear Montana longbow, and unfortunately it broke at the riser on the second day. Maybe it was fate, it was really too heavy for a starter bow, but when I decided to buy it, I was at the point where I didn't know how much I didn't know.

So from there I ordered a custom from Dan Toelke. A beautiful 40# Whip longbow. That was what 'cut my teeth' with.

Since then I've accumulated a couple Bodnik Slick Sticks, in 35#, and 50#. I managed a lot of indoor shooting in the garage at 14 yards over the winter with the 35# Slick Stick It's a really nice shooting, lightweight bow.

Just recently I found this Samick Discovery and 45# limbs at a very good price, and decided to get into an ILF bow, and my first recurve.

I think I'm about done buying bows now, but maybe another set of light limbs for the Samick, something in the 30-35# range.

Anyhoo, I really enjoy it all. So much to learn around the bows, arrows, shooting, and so on. I really enjoy the mental solitude, focus, and self-control it requires.

Posted By: sscoyote Re: Samick Discovery - 04/01/20
Yeah it sure has been fun for me over the years. Still got my old 34 lb Pro Bow I started with at 17 y.o in Maine. Was able to take 2 smaller bull elk over the years with one--old American 60 pounder I think it was. Gave it to a buddies kid. Had a 55 lb. Bandito I shot one deer with and gave that one to a rancher's kid, who shot it way better than I ever could. A number of other deer were taken with a few other recurves. Hunted with compounds a lot but always was a traditionalist at heart. Have fun with it sir.

Had a buddy who wounded a bull with his recurve many years ago and it took us 2 days to find it. It was the most unusual experience I've ever had in the field. When we finally came across it buddy Paul made a lucky 70ish yd. shot and nailed it in the chest, but it still took us 3 more arrows to kill it. At the end we both stood there watching the bull die--and honestly it was heart-wrenching watching him put everything he had in him to stay alive. I'll never forget it.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 04/09/20
Twisted up my string, brace back where it should be, back to pretty quiet.
340 spine w 125gr.............not a heavy arrow, but flies good.
300's will arrive Friday and I'll build one and see how much i can load up front.
Didn't shoot today, cut down a bush/tree out front.
Proly be gimped tomorrow.

More FOC and make the bow quieter.
Like to end up w 100gr added.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 04/09/20
Here's something I discovered that quieted mine a bit more.

So I started out with both tiller bolts all the way down, and the top backed out about 1/4 turn, to get tiller at the top 3-8mm more than the bottom (per owners manual).

I noticed a bit more noise than the one-piece bows, but figured that was a given, being three pieces.

Then today I noticed that the tiller bolt heads were not bearing flat against the limbs. Only the outboard point of the bolt heads were in contact with the limbs.

So I fiddled with them and found that the tiller bolt heads bear flat on the limbs about two revolutions out from bottom (there's still about 8-10 revs of bolt engagement). I tweaked the top tiller bolt to get about 1/4" positive tiller, and locked them in place. That quieted down the bow noticeably.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 04/16/20
Some practice this afternoon. My camera battery died of hypothermia at the end.

Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 04/17/20
Good stuff Shane - really enjoying watching your progress!
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 04/17/20
I'm enjoying getting outside again. The 14-yard indoor work I put in over the winter (in the garage) has helped my game at 20-25 yards noticeably.

My bow arsenal has grown to four since I started down this path about 10 months ago. Got the Toelke Whip 40#, Slick Sticks in 35# and 50#, and now this Samick in 45#. So I've got a fair spectrum of weights to work with.

Probably about done buying bows, but maybe another set of limbs for the Samick along the way.
Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 04/17/20
I haven't shot any arrows since fall and am getting the bug to start up again. I've shot in the garage in the winter before but am not currently set up for it. My arsenal has grown considerably once I started making my own - have quite a pile of them laying around (and am toying with the idea of another set of ILF limbs) grin
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 04/17/20
That's the spirit!......grin
Posted By: centershot Re: Samick Discovery - 04/21/20
I just ordered a Discovery from alternativess.com on Friday - did not see the closeout 2019's (or this post until today). I ordered the 2020 (Flat Black) with the weight and a set of 35# R3 (Carbon Foam limbs). Total shipped was $370 which was still a $100 cheaper than 3Rivers. Looks like a nice rig for under $400. Ordered a FF string from 60X and having the local shop make me up some GT Ultralight 700's to shoot out of her. Hopefully will be shooting it by the weekend.

I've been out of the recurve business for a couple seasons with a sore shoulder. Hopefully this 35#'er will let me shoot again.

FWIW: I had a Toelke Whip 33# for a while a few years ago, easily the nicest longbow I every shot. That 40#'er must be a dream to shoot.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 04/21/20
Sounds like a sweet setup. ^^^

Alternative seems to have some of the best prices. I ordered mine on a Sunday afternoon, and it was here Tuesday afternoon, 48 hours later. I was impressed. I'll probably get a couple more R3 limb sets myself, thinking 35# and 55#, to go with the 45# I initially bought.

The 40# Toelke is really sweet. Since it was my first bow I really didn't have any experience to compare it with. Now that I have a few different bows, in different weights, I can really appreciate the Toelke.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 09/16/20
I just added a set of the Samick R3 62" (ILF Long) limbs in 30# draw weight. Can't beat the price at Alternative.

https://www.alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0059059.1.6656620841426069311/SAMDIS3L

Anyhoo, I did some bareshaft testing with a few 400/500 spines and different weight points. Seemed to find a good combo with the 30" 500 spine and 175gr up front. I need to get some 32" 500's though, I'm short-drawing a bit with these, but they fly pretty well.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Samick Discovery - 09/16/20
Bought a Samick off of Amazon a fews years back. 64" 40#. Amazing quality for about $140. Just a toy really, but a lot of fun. Might go small game hunting after deer season. Got oodles of old arrows I don't mind losing. Have made up some homemade flu-flus by wrapping feathers around the shaft in front of the fletching.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 09/16/20
Shot my 54# widow a few times.
Did not hit my burned arm LOL.
Can feel it in my back now ......try a few more tomorrow.
Easing into it.

Should be ready by Halloween ( when I start vacation )
Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 09/16/20
Your shooting is really coming along - I bet those 30# limbs are 35+ at your draw length. Oh - all that smoke looks about the same from my view across the lake smile
Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 09/16/20
Samick makes a pretty decent bow - my first Samick was the 58" one-piece Stingray (now discontinued). Fun little bow but was heavier than marked - I ordered 55# but it came in closer to 60# so I haven't shot it much because it was too heavy. It was also tillered even for shooting 3 under and I shoot split finger which was giving me some annoying vibration in the limbs. Over the past year I've been carefully sanding the glass a little at a time and now have it right at 55# with a little positive tiller and it's working better for me.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 09/16/20
Your shooting is really coming along - I bet those 30# limbs are 35+ at your draw length. Oh - all that smoke looks about the same from my view across the lake smile

Thanks, and I'm finding I shoot better with the centershot recurve. Not giving up on the longbows though.

Yes I'm thinking 35 or so with these 30" shafts. When I get some 32" 500's probably be in the 38-40# range. Probably need to drop point weight down to 125/150gr or so with 32" 500.

I tried some 32" 400 spine. With 200gr up front they flew sorta ok, but bare-shafted too stiff. I could probably get them right with 250gr points, but I'd be giving up some speed.

Posted By: hookeye Re: Samick Discovery - 10/03/20
I looked at the Discovery pretty hard but w the Bear Mag coming out for 2021 am gonna go that route.
W #1 limbs I can get a 45-50# rig that's 56". Should be handy in a tree.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 01/23/21
Been curious just how fast this bow is with the 30# limbs. These are the R3 Samick limbs, Long, 62" AMO on the 17" Discovery riser.

Have had the limbs since last fall, they always felt pretty powerful.

My draw length is around 31.5" or so.

Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 01/26/21
Draw length vs velocity, 30# R3 limbs, 567gr arrow

32" draw - 165 fps
28" draw - 130 fps

I was impressed with the velocity I measured at my draw, it almost seemed like too much. So I taped an arrow at 28" and did some short-draw over the chrono. 130 fps give or take (128-134).

It's a lot of gain from the longer power stroke, and added draw weight of a 32" draw.
Posted By: JGray Re: Samick Discovery - 01/28/21
A long wingspan does equal more performance, and it's free!
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 01/28/21

Yes the extra draw makes a real difference.

Did a little vid comparing the 30# to the 45# limbs, with A 576 grain arrow.

Here's a link if the vid doesn't load here. Looks like my last vid posting is not loading up, at least for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRD7jF5kB0

This was the other vid just shooting various arrows with the 30# limbs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suGBCq5b1KQ

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Samick Discovery - 07/26/21

I have a 25# recurve that my 7yo and I shoot. It always had a pretty nasty vibration to it.
I remembered this vid and finally followed up with doing something about it. It works as well or better than any other string silencer I've tried.
The little recurve is a smooth shooter now.

Thanks for the vid!
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 07/26/21
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I have a 25# recurve that my 7yo and I shoot. It always had a pretty nasty vibration to it.
I remembered this vid and finally followed up with doing something about it. It works as well or better than any other string silencer I've tried.
The little recurve is a smooth shooter now.

Thanks for the vid!

You bet.

I did another thing to quiet down the string slap on the limbs. Bought some Velcro tape on Amazon, and put strips of it about 4 inches long on the string grooves. That helped quiet it down a bit more.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 07/26/21
Here's a little vid I made back in June. Shooting the Discovery with the string silencers, string groove pads, and a Limbsaver de-resonator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRQnIKSQQcQ&t=9s

Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 08/13/21
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Samick Discovery - 08/13/21
© 24hourcampfire