Home
Posted By: T_O_M float tube .. question - 08/10/20
With a float tube, do you manage real cold water? Do you wear waders with your float tube? Is there something better?
Posted By: pal Re: float tube .. question - 08/10/20
You wear waders over your regular pants always. Add longjohns when it's cold. Add fleece sweatpants when it's very cold.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: T_O_M Re: float tube .. question - 08/10/20
'k. What about life jacket, inflatable float-coat, etc? How much is needed to offset the buoyancy of waders and give you a fighting chance to keep your head above water?

... I suppose it might help to know, regarding my concern for how much stuff I'm lugging, is the lake I want to fish is 5 miles in from the trailhead. I'm generally backpacking in for a couple days. Adding the weight of float tube, waders, flotation of some sort, wading shoes or fins, etc on top of fishing tackle and a couple days camp gear is a bit discouraging.
Posted By: 1minute Re: float tube .. question - 08/11/20
For float tubes, waders are a must in cold water. Maybe not in a warm water fishery. With no waders, leaches may be a problem. Check ones state regs for required equipment. Since they are a floating device, a life jacket is a must. Seeing fewer tubes lately and more of the framed pontoon units that put one above the water and are powered with small oars and maybe flippers if one wears some fabric hippers.

A long handled net is a plus.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: float tube .. question - 08/11/20
Light weight nylon waders with long johns underneath unless it's really cold, then neoprene waders. I always have a life jacket strapped to my float tube for emergencies.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: float tube .. question - 08/11/20
Thanks. I appreciate the info.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: float tube .. question - 08/12/20
Mornin men, when I used to go into backwoods lakes fishing I would make a float tube out of a 20 inch truck tube & a half moon piece of plywood. Take it in & leave it there hidden from view under some brush, or deflate it & just carry a air pump in every time. If there are many lakes then.... we'll yur screwed. Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ They even work for ducks in a pond.
Posted By: ribka Re: float tube .. question - 08/14/20
Originally Posted by T_O_M
With a float tube, do you manage real cold water? Do you wear waders with your float tube? Is there something better?

yes I always wear waders. Neoprenes when temps drop below 50 degrees. I like force fins too
Posted By: ribka Re: float tube .. question - 08/14/20
Originally Posted by T_O_M
'k. What about life jacket, inflatable float-coat, etc? How much is needed to offset the buoyancy of waders and give you a fighting chance to keep your head above water?

... I suppose it might help to know, regarding my concern for how much stuff I'm lugging, is the lake I want to fish is 5 miles in from the trailhead. I'm generally backpacking in for a couple days. Adding the weight of float tube, waders, flotation of some sort, wading shoes or fins, etc on top of fishing tackle and a couple days camp gear is a bit discouraging.

Always wear a PFD of some kind. Im a good swimmer but always wear a pfd in tube.
It's been a while but I have been in a float tube in a snow storm with 5mm neoprene waders and was very comfortable.
© 24hourcampfire