Home
I'm ust an average guy that enjoys fly fishing. I don't have big bucks(73 living on SSand and some VA disability.). I started fly-fishing 60 years ago tossing poppers under trees on the Milwaukee river, bass and panfish. In college bought a 7" Eagle Claw 5wt and flunked out of college chasing brookies and hunting grouse around Stevens Point, WI. I've caught a lot of bass and pan fish over the years on poppers and foam bugs and about 30 yrs ago graduated to a 9' 5wt and a 9' 7wt graphite rods. I ust spent a few days catching bass in the lower Rio Gran on small poppers and small foam bugs, had a ball. I usually spend a week in northern WI chasing large northern pike and big bass all that was with casting gear but would love to try big bugs, large poppers on a floating line and big streamers on a sink tip over the weed beds.

I'm thinking I need a larger rod I see a plethora of 8, 9 and 10 wt rods out there from 9-10 ft. I think a 8wt would not be a big enough increase over my 7wt so kind of narrowed it to a 9 or 10 wt and a 9 or 10" rod. I'm looking at the Maxcatch Predator line of rods.

Thanks
erich
I lived up in Alaska for 33 years and during that time I caught alot of Coho,Chum,Pink and occasional King Salmon on a 9' 8wt generally using a sink tip line. Most of the salmon were caught on streamers or clouser minnows. Different brand rods don't cast the same line the same. I have some high end rods i.e.. Sage, G loomis, nice but spendy, St Croix has some nice rods at reasonable prices. Check out eBay
Grab one of these. I have 2 . One in 12 wt. for tuna, tarpon and one in 8 wt. Back up rods. But a great value, performance for the money and lifetime guarantee

https://www.fisher-shop.com/products/Temple-Fork-Outfitters-TiCr-X-Fly-Rods.html

The AETOS is a great rod for the price point too

https://www.mrfc.com/collections/sale/products/2020-fenwick-aetos-fly-rod?variant=32529433002068
About a 9 wt with weight forward lines.
Originally Posted by ribka
Grab one of these. I have 2 . One in 12 wt. for tuna, tarpon and one in 8 wt. Back up rods. But a great value, performance for the money and lifetime guarantee

https://www.fisher-shop.com/products/Temple-Fork-Outfitters-TiCr-X-Fly-Rods.html

The AETOS is a great rod for the price point too

https://www.mrfc.com/collections/sale/products/2020-fenwick-aetos-fly-rod?variant=32529433002068

I have fished the TiCr-X a bunch and really like the rod. The 8 is the right weight, IMO&E, and would be much more useful in general than the 9. There will be a big difference between your 7 and the TFO8. Rick Bin has one and even he has caught fish with it! wink
For big bushy bass bugs and large articulated pike streamers I would be using a 9'-0" 9wt. Many bass and pike flies we use are like trying to throwing 1/2 or a chicken and 7wts and 8wts just do not have the mass in the line to do it effectively, and I have and have fished them all.
As a 28 year old guide and owner of a two outlet fly fishing pro shop, we sold and used 10 foot Loomis 10 wt rods. The older wiser (If anyone is not wise it is a 28 year old guy running 4 guides and two retail/wholesale tackle shops, in two locations!) Bought Sage 889s 8wt 8 foot ,nine inch.as we used size 2 4x long white Muddler Minnows 90% of the time the 10 weights were overkill. I think Sage had a 899 but that was a bonefish rod and really hard to come by. I am now 62 and user a 9 foot 9 wt Orvis.I would like to find one of those Sage bonefish rods. Why so short? Tighter loop into the wind.
A good fast-action 8 weight has done a good job for me. Orvis has been good for me even though I live out west where the wind tends to blow.
2nd the TFO's & Fenwick already mentioned............lotta rod for the $$.

You can also add the Echo Salt 8 or 9 wt & the TFO BVK in an 8 wt.

8 wt rods geared toward saltwater are better at throwing big flies than freshwater 8's for the most part.

MM
I have a 9' 8 wt. G Loomis NRX that works wonderfully for bigger bass-style flies.
My go to lately has been a 9' 9wt Redington Predator for pike and muskie. I've got a couple of 8 wt rods and dont like them near as well for throwing 6" long flies. That preditor is a great stick for the money. I use a 9' 8 wt BVK for most my bass fishing.
© 24hourcampfire