Home
Posted By: Windknot The Fly! - 06/10/21
Everybody's always looking, trying, and especially if you tie your own, that better fly, especially if you fish for trout. I just started tying over a year ago, and what a difference its made in my fishing.
Well after digging for and trying new recipes, which several have made a difference for me, but none like The Rainbow Warrior! I tied up my first and tried it in December, and it immediately made a difference! And the lower and clearer the water, the better it has been for me. I've tied it in couple slight variations and both sz 14 n 16, and all has worked! I fish a small-mid size mountain stream, 90% rainbows, few browns.
Posted By: 1minute Re: The Fly!trying - 06/10/21
Started tying in about 1976 copying dozens of patterns filling dozens of boxes from as many books. Now I pretty much do my own thing and have about 6 or 8 patterns with one or another usually capable of producing. First efforts in new waters nearly always begin with a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear.
Posted By: Windknot Re: The Fly!trying - 06/10/21
Me too, when in doubt I now have a Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, and the Warrior about 18" behind!
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: The Fly! - 06/10/21
Much fun to catch trout on flies you tie yourself. I especially like to catch em' on a fly tied with hair and feather I harvested my self.

These work well for me on the San Juan River below Navajo dam.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Fly! - 06/11/21
Anyone have a photo of the Rainbow Warrior?? I tied for a while and gave up as a bad job.. Prince nymph and gold ribbed hare;s ear are my favorites...
Posted By: Torqued Re: The Fly! - 06/11/21
Very nice looking flies pds.
I am new to the world of fly fishing, but I have definitely fell head first into the rabbit hole.
Planning on getting a rotary vise in the next few weeks and start tying my own flies.
Told my wife it is like reloading,only for a.fishing pole.
Posted By: Windknot Re: The Fly! - 06/11/21
I got a pic but I ain't never tried posting a pic, I need to. Good videos on YouTube.
Up until I started tying, a Prince Nymph was my best fly. Lately I hardly ever fish it. Here, the midge patterns seem to work better. I've got a black n red one I came up with I've done well on. I did well on another new one back in the winter id never even seen before. The Evil Olive.
Posted By: 1minute Re: The Fly! - 06/11/21
prairie dog shooter:

What? No San Juan worm in that batch?

Spent maybe a total of 4 days there, and it's a challenging but interesting place. Educated fish with most missing their lips, and one can hear 3 or 4 different languages in just a few minutes. Really enjoyed wading those shallow flats trying to fool some of those sipping giants. Pretty much deem it a success just to get a take.
Wish I were taking a hand full of them to Montauk with me this weekend !
Torqued, you hit the nail right on the head! I started tying same time I started reloading. Right after I retired, never would take the time before! I fly-fishing all my life, but mostly river smallies, bluegills and largemouth. Now, I absolutely love trout fishing. To get started, I cut 2 pieces of 4"×4× wood about 10", doweled one on top the other. Drilled the top one so I could slide a long set of surgical locking forceps back into it. Lock the hook into them slide it into the block, and anchor it with a way I fixed. I keep thinking I'm gonna get me a rotary vise, but mine works just fine! My fly tying board i made i can just pic it up move out the way. Then same table becomes my reloading table. I use the Lee portable hand press. Pull it out go to work. Switch back to fly tying in just a minute.
I posted a pic of my recent best flies I've tied in the photo gallery
Originally Posted by Windknot
Torqued, you hit the nail right on the head! I started tying same time I started reloading. Right after I retired, never would take the time before! I fly-fishing all my life, but mostly river smallies, bluegills and largemouth. Now, I absolutely love trout fishing. To get started, I cut 2 pieces of 4"×4× wood about 10", doweled one on top the other. Drilled the top one so I could slide a long set of surgical locking forceps back into it. Lock the hook into them slide it into the block, and anchor it with a way I fixed. I keep thinking I'm gonna get me a rotary vise, but mine works just fine! My fly tying board i made i can just pic it up move out the way. Then same table becomes my reloading table. I use the Lee portable hand press. Pull it out go to work. Switch back to fly tying in just a minute.

I am going to use half of my gun cleaning table for my fly tying set up. May end up moving my cleaning stuff to the reloading bench. I have more than enough room in its. I wasn't that lucky on my last bench. Not going to make hasty decisions til I try some fly tying amd see how my old welder eyes do with it.
Posted By: LouisB Re: The Fly! - 06/13/21
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Much fun to catch trout on flies you tie yourself. I especially like to catch em' on a fly tied with hair and feather I harvested my self.

These work well for me on the San Juan River below Navajo dam.

[Linked Image]

The old adage "Less is More" come to mind!
© 24hourcampfire