Home
Hello,

I'm starting to think about taking a few destination fishing trips over the next few years. From experience, I can mostly figure out what I need insofar as gear is concerned such as rods, reels, lines, and clothing, depending upon where and when I will be traveling. What I don't know much about is everything else I might need.

What's the best way to travel by air with rods, gear, waders (maybe wet waders on the way home), wading boots, etc.? How many bags should I expect to take, and which size(s) work best. Are quality duffels better than typical luggage such as suitcases? Is one big, fat rod tube better than multiple tubes? What's best if the trip includes any time on a float/bush plane? How much gear can be taken on a small plane?

Anything else I need to know about besides the typical which rod and reel should I use? It's nice to plan ahead so I can start looking for good used gear or gear that is on sale.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hit me with a PM. I am a fishing outfitter in Montana and travel somewhere every month during the winter! I will give you an email and phone number and you can give me a call. I can share some of the things I have learned
I think fly fishing is easier for me if Im flying to my destination. If Im using conventional tackle I usually drive. Everything from gear to clothes is location and season driven. I have fished the florida keys in cold weather gear as well as traveled with one small duffle. Same place different season. You need to call your outfitter or guide for every trip as they will all be different. If Im doing anything but fly fishing I have always used the guides equipment like rods and reels.
On commercial flights I use a hard shell golf club carrier, 2 piece rods in a tube. Tackle, waders and cloths or sleeping bag to fill it up. Use the same case for hunting, rifles tents ect. Float planes use the PVC tube you packed the rods in inside the golf club case.
Travel a bit as does my son and my brother. We have 4pc rods. We use compartmented duffle bags with a molded plastic b ottom. Zipper around the outside. Some are of a generic brand, biggest one is made by Ogio. Rods waders and boots fit in bottom compartment, heavy plastic bag for wet stuff on way home.
Razz, what Ogio bag do you use?

I have a Easton Bow bag that works well .

I also have a 5 pc rod that fit in my carry on, that was not able to carry on a smaller jumper flight.

No rods or flies in carry on.
Originally Posted by BS2

I have a Easton Bow bag that works well

The Ogio is a Team Rig 9800. Bottom compartment is very large, top sections are a bit smaller but keep clean stuff separate on the way home.
That is a very nice bag.

I like the two compression straps.
Originally Posted by BS2

I have a Easton Bow bag that works well .

I also have a 5 pc rod that fit in my carry on, that was not able to carry on a smaller jumper flight.

No rods or flies in carry on.
Since having a couple hundred full-dress flies stolen from my bag I now hand carry flies and have always carried rods. By the time my optics, cameras, flies, better reels, and rods are in my carry on I have limited out....
© 24hourcampfire