Home
Posted By: ColdBore Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/02/12
I'm at Fort Meade for a few months at a school. Pugs, a local member, met me for lunch a few weeks ago and turned me on to a few spots to fish.

I went the day after Thanksgiving, it was in the 60s. Beautiful day, beautiful stream, but no fish caught. The picture below was drifting a little pool that I could see four or five, obviously non-hungry, trout laying in, but no takers. crazy

[Linked Image]

Fast forward to today. Pugs called and offered to actually take me to another spot. So we met earlier this morning and headed out. What a gorgeous little stream!

[Linked Image]

I watched Pugs for a few minutes...

[Linked Image]

...then struck out on my own.

Drifting a little #20 nymph through a little slot, and fish on! shocked

[Linked Image]

I thought of it after turning him loose, that I should've taken a "trophy" shot, with my arms stretched out towards the camera. Maybe, just maybe, by doing that, I could've stretched that little guy out to a full six inches. cool Honestly, he was maybe four inches, tops. But a little native brown, from a beautiful stream, on a great day, with a great host... what more could I want. cool

Turned out that he was my only fish for the trip (both trips actually), but what a wonderful time.

Thanks for the good times Pugs!
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/02/12
Can't ask for much more than that!

Looks like a really good time...
Posted By: Pugs Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/02/12
Enjoyed it a bunch and hope to get out next Saturday and do the same - downstream this time. Here's a few pics. No fish pics for me. I caught exactly one fish and it was one of the horn headed minnows we get here and about 3/4 length of my palm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like a little more structure next year smile

[Linked Image]

One of the really good things about this stream is it's openness.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pugs Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/09/12
Gary and I hit it again today and headed downstream in the intermittent showers. No fish caught, few seen but great to get out with a good guy and see the scenery

A couple pics of cold bore
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/09/12
Pugs- you gotta get out here and let me spoil you grin
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/09/12
Likewise Pugs!

I really enjoyed the last few weekends.

A true gentleman, willing to show a stranger his own secret spots.

Come on up north next year and allow me to return the hospitality; we'll get after the steelhead when they run!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/09/12
Pugs: Missouri River at Craig, Montana. Fifty+ of these a day.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Pugs: Missouri River at Craig, Montana. Fifty+ of these a day.

Montana you say? Hmmm, I've heard good things about that place from many people. I sense a plan coming together.... How many driftboats do campfire members own? grin
I dont own a drift boat and quit fishing the big waters years ago...too crowded. I like the creeks like you do, we catch bunches and never see another fisherman......
Pugs...the creeks look like this..

[Linked Image]

And the creek fish look like this..

[Linked Image]

or the little ones look like this...

[Linked Image]
Those fish may not be healthy, They're all spotted. I ought to come out to save you from getting infected. grin
Yes please! Save me from my horrible fate and destiny!

So far I have been able to stave off the plague with high priced bourbon. Don't know how much longer I can hold out.....
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/10/12
Yeah, I'm sensing some kind of plan here, too. Infected fish, bottled antidote and a few unwashed two-legged braggarts to bring them together...
Posted By: Pugs Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/10/12
Yeah, I'm sensing some kind of plan here, too. Infected fish, bottled antidote and a few unwashed two-legged braggarts to bring them together...

When you say "few" I'm thinking a roving band of fishing miscreants ranging from say Utah to Idaho up into Wyoming and Montana and Idaho then back into Utah with about three or four vehicles might be a heck of an enjoyable 10 days or so.
Hmmmm.....You, me, Ingwe, maybe one other. One, maybe two vehicles.

Yeah, that sounds doable.
Hmmmm.....You, me, Ingwe, maybe one other. One, maybe two vehicles.

Yeah, that sounds doable.

Question is early or late in the June to October magic months out there? ColdBore would be a really great addition to this mix.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/10/12
June sux here...high muddy water. The creeks are best in August/ September....I am off the month of August.... whistle
Good luck catching me in September....

Some of the big water starts looking good in July...
I'm only off 12 months of the year, so scheduling is a challenge...
And in Utah...you aint that far away... grin
Near? Hell, I'm HERE!

I already have a trip booked (back to Craig) the first week of June. July or August would be great for me.
Posted By: fish head Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/10/12
Y'all really need an expert fishing guide to show you how it's done. I know one that has no equal. He can cast further than any man alive, he's been known to catch fish from a dry streambed and more often than not when fish sense his presence they just swim to net.

Conversationally speaking, he's been described as interesting.

grin
Posted By: fish head Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/10/12
I forgot to add that he instructs not only fishermen ...

but also the fish on how to be caught. wink
I'm in for August. Officially approved by SWMBO. grin
August is best for me...lets check the moon phases, creeks are often best right after a new moon...you and Rocky can go fish big water if you want to...I got a low tolerance for crowds.
Fly fishing in creeks is terrestrials at that time, #12 hopper patterns #12-#14 Wulff patterns. Hardware on ultralights is always good...
Tell me what kinda trout and how big that you wanna catch... grin
PM inbound to the known trouble makers. Suspect if we do this right it will grow.
Posted By: hatari Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/10/12
I hate ALL of you! grin
Originally Posted by hatari
I hate ALL of you! grin

Even little 'ole me??? grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And yeah, they're different fish....
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/11/12
I thought "lil ol you" WAS the fish. You telling me that I haven't been looking at you posing with a bunch of different ugly galoots?

Sheesh!
Posted By: hatari Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/11/12
Especially, you Nyalubwe. grin You live in God's country.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/11/12
Originally Posted by hatari
Especially, you Nyalubwe. grin You live in God's country.

And that aint by chance...its by design....
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/12/12
Looks like ingwe and I have successfully lured Pugs into our trap. For a week or so in August, he'll escape that cramped, tree-infested Land of Mary for some real breathing room.

Right into our clutches, BWA-HA-ha ha ha.
I'm with Ingwe, let the others have the big H20 all to themselves. I'll take the X cricks every day... wink

Dober
Posted By: Pugs Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/13/12
Looks like ingwe and I have successfully lured Pugs into our trap. For a week or so in August, he'll escape that cramped, tree-infested Land of Mary for some real breathing room.

Right into our clutches, BWA-HA-ha ha ha.

But I'll miss Maryland in August where we say it's hot but it's a moist heat. sick

This is going to be great and if there is one thing Tailhook taught me in 1991 NO CAMERAS. The turdlike images would scar most of the folks here. grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/13/12
Its a dry heat here in August, but we moisten it up with libation.... grin

Posted By: Bobcape Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/26/12
If you're taking I90 west and can spare a day, I'd be glad to show you some prime spots in the Black Hills. Enjoy your trip!

Bob
Posted By: Pugs Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 12/26/12
SD is a bit out of the way on this trip but Spearfish Canyon (and heck SD in general) is one of my favorite places on earth so if I get that way I'll certainly drop you a note. I haven't been there since 95 so don't tell me it's all gone to heck though! eek
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Flyfishing with Pugs - 03/09/13
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My sons first little San Juan trout
[Linked Image]
My buddy Steve
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire