Home
What rod and reel would you guys recommend for small creeks and streams? The two creeks I have in mind are no more 12'-15' wide, occasionally 20' or so. I would really love to give fly tackle a try on these but have no clue where to begin. I have some fly experience and a 9' 5wt rod but this just seems like overkill. I typically fish a 5'6" UL with panther martins on these creeks. I know fly tackle can get pretty pricey so I'm hoping to stay in the $300-400 range for rod and reel. Any help would be appreciated.
Google Tenkara. It is a Japanese form of fly fishing using a rod with no reel. I have been fly fishing conventional tackle for 40 years but Tenkara is perfect for small streams.
LL Bean has this nifty little two-piece fly rod on sale.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/687...;attrValue_0=Green&productId=1119692

I just bought this one about a month or so ago when it was on sale . . . 6' 6" 3wt

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/731...;attrValue_0=Brown&productId=1201779
Look at a 7' St. Croix Avid 3 wt.. One of my favorite.. Soft enough to give smaller trout a great battle, I often use a 7 1/2 ' Fenglass, but they are antiques..
One of my favorite small stream rods is a Cabela's TQR 2 weight, 5 foot, 2 piece, paired with a Bass Pro Shops / White River Fly Shop ultralight reel, Cabela's WF 2 weight floating line, and about 50 yards of 20 lb braided backing.

The other is a Sage TXL-F 000 weight. It's matched with a RIO line and Sage Click I reel. It, too, is a whole lot of fun.

Both are a lot of fun.

Tom

I have a 7'9" 5wt Orvis Green River set up i bought back in the late 80's that would be ideal for a small creek like that. they were affordable entry level rods and you can find one occasionally for sale cheap.
My preference for a small stream rod has changed over time. I have a number of 3&4 wt rods from 6'-0" to 7'-6" in both fast and medium action. If you are talking small mountain "Brookie" steams I have come to like a longer rod, say 8'-0", that is a fast action 2 or 3 wt. that I up-line to the next line weight. I find this allows me to load the rod at the short distances needed in the small stream and the fast action still has enough line speed to keep the loop tight enough to get under the tree canopy that surrounds these streams. The added length allows me to keep more to the line off of the water that is "tailing out" of each plunge pool, allowing a better/longer drift. A fast action 8'-0" 2wt with a 3 wt double tapered line is perfect for me.

Now if talking small stream and large fish where the growth around the stream allows casting then the short 6'-6" to 7'-6" rods that are 4 or 5 wt properly lined are useful, although spring creeks with weeds and varying currents still want a long rod of 8'-0" or longer for the same drift reasons as above.

Just my thoughts.
Thank you for all your replies. I've been looking pretty hard at the St. Croix Avid rods, but I don't want to rush into anything, I wish I could try a few out. I still have till next spring to decide, maybe a trip to Cabelas will be in order this winter. I'm kinda leaning towards a 6'6" rod. These streams are tight, with lots of low overhanging branches. I couldn't imagine using an 8' rod......at least for my clumsy ass. Does the reel really matter? I was always under the assumption that the reel is just a place to store the line.

What's the advantage of weight forward line? Hows it differ than regular line.
ridgerunner85,

If you are only using the reel and line for a dedicated small stream "brookie" outfit there is no need for a expensive reel. As you said the reel will be to hold line, I recommend a click and pawl reel and you can get a good one for $80.00 to $100.00. They are available cheaper but durability will suffer. A weight forward line is for casting distance, say over 30 feet. In small stream fishing like you have described you will many times only have a few feet of line out of the rod tip during a typical cast. 10 feet of line and a 7 1/2 ft. leader gets you a 17 1/2 foot cast which is more than you will use for the majority of the casts during the day. As you may already know a rod line weight rating is based on what it takes to properly load the rod with 30 ft. of fly line out the tip of the rod (a 4wt rod loads best with 30 feet of 4 wt line out of the rod), so as you can see with only 10 ft of line out of the rod it is hard to load the rod for a good cast (without altering your casting stroke, which takes experience). This is the reason many anglers will over load their rods with a line of 1 or 2 line weight heavier than the rating of the rod so it will cast well with little line extending out the rod tip.

Now a far as weight forward vs a double taper line, as stated above a weight forward line is for casting longer distances. Again if the outfit is to be dedicated to small stream fishing I would purchase a double taper line, the advantage of which is it can be used on either end so when the line wears you can reverse it and have a new line. Basically you get two fly lines hooked together with the double taper. which saves money. If this reel and line will be used for also casting at distances needed to fish larger streams the weight forward is the line to have.

Thank you VaHunter. This clears a lot of things up for me. This will be a dedicated "brookie" outfit so I'll probably just stick with the reels I have, albeit they are cheapies and spend a bit more on the rod. I guess this where the Tenkara rigs come lol. At this time it's doubtful I'd be using this outfit on larger streams, I still have a 9' Orvis 5wt for the bigger stuff. I just get a lot more enjoyment out of fishing the smaller streams for natives and wanted a dedicated rod for it.
If you're already thinking 6'6", then why not get the Cabelas CGR 4wt? Right now, they're on sale for all of $60. I guarantee they'll cast just the leader all the way out to 40' no problem. No need to overline it in order to make short casts, the mass of the rod itself is enough to load itself.

If it's not your cup of tea, then you'll be able to turn it around with only small loss.

Scott
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
...looking pretty hard at the St. Croix Avid rods...leaning towards a 6'6" rod...

Good choice.
I've been using an 8' 4wt Amundson rod and an older G Loomis fly reel. I only have a Rio Indicator floating fly line for it, I tie my nymphs light to really heavy so I can fish them under an indicator. The indicator fly line isn't then best choice for delicate small dry fly presentation, but in most mountain creeks the riffles seem to hide the bit of a pop the line can create if I don't cast perfect.
I was in the same place several years back. Now, I'm old school, bamboo and silk lines. I picked up a Tufts & Batson blank for a 6'6", 2/2, 3/4 wt. rod and finished it myself. I use a #4 Terenzio DT line and a 7' silk leader. Perhaps not for everyone but I love it on our small Ozark creeks. I picked up an Orvis 3/4 reel....I think it's a Battenkill(?)....used for $50.00 and it's done everything I need to do.
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
If you're already thinking 6'6", then why not get the Cabelas CGR 4wt? Right now, they're on sale for all of $60. I guarantee they'll cast just the leader all the way out to 40' no problem. No need to overline it in order to make short casts, the mass of the rod itself is enough to load itself.

If it's not your cup of tea, then you'll be able to turn it around with only small loss.

Scott

Cabelas CGR's are now on sale for $39.99.
Cabelas CGR on Sale
+ today only 10% off and free shipping. I just back ordered a 6'2" 2wt rod.
Originally Posted by WFR

Scott

Cabelas CGR's are now on sale for $39.99.
Cabelas CGR on Sale

I just checked because I've been wanting a 2wt., and its showing them at their regular $129.99 price. I guess the sale is over already. I missed it by a freaking day!? Ugh. The horror.
The CGR is on sell fairly often. I have the 2 weight and it is fun. It is not for big fish by any means and is very soft but I like it.
I remain a fan of the 5 foot 2 weight TQR. They were on sale for $65.88 this morning per Cabela's web site.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-TQR-Fly-Rods/712113.uts?displayTab=Customer%20Reviews

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I remain a fan of the 5 foot 2 weight TQR. They were on sale for $65.88 this morning per Cabela's web site.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-TQR-Fly-Rods/712113.uts?displayTab=Customer%20Reviews

Tom

dang looks like sold out
While I'm still leaning on towards a St.Croix, one could hardly go wrong with a Cabelas for that price. I'll have to keep an eye out over the winter months. Was hoping Santa woulda left me one, but it didn't pan out.
Originally Posted by Philos
The CGR is on sell fairly often. I have the 2 weight and it is fun. It is not for big fish by any means and is very soft but I like it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open and check in from time to time then. Thanks Philos.
Originally Posted by bobmn
Google Tenkara. It is a Japanese form of fly fishing using a rod with no reel. I have been fly fishing conventional tackle for 40 years but Tenkara is perfect for small streams.

Tenkara is not fly fishing. I wish this fad would die.
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
Originally Posted by bobmn

This is the very reason why I dislike fly fishing.

This apparent holier than thou attitude is why I dislike fly fishermen almost as much as I like fly fishing. Ignorant POS post ... Tenkara absolutely IS fly fishing. Stick, string, fly ... game over. Makes about as much sense to omit Tenkara as it does anything using a level line or lines with an odd numbered line weight: NONE.

Tom
My sentiments exactly! A lot of fly fisherman have a holier than thou attitude!

That's why I love outfishing the bastards and KEEPING my fish to eat instead of releasing them. Drives them crazy. I catch more fish on my 200 dollar fly set up than the uppities with over a grand worth of gear in their hands. Love it.

ive been fly fishing over 40 years and have fished all over the world. Fly and conventional gear.Ive guided fly and conventional gear.

There is some truth tto the fact hat a lot of fly guys are self important uptight anal d bags. I'll take a god conventional gear guy who knows structure, feeding, water temps, pressure, drift etc over a strict fly only guy any day. Any really competent salt or fresh water fisherman knows to look and learn study all forms all methods of fishing.

I just like to catch fish and I have leaned a lot over the years reading, studying fly and conventional gear techniques.

I like to fish multiple species in lakes , rivers, salt because it is always challenging.
I just like to catch fish too. It doesn't matter to me how I catch mine or how you catch yours, as long as it's legal. Yes, I keep some too. I just fear this uppity attitude in both hunting in fishing will lead to the ultimate despise of the sports we know and love. I mean didn't we all start fishing with a hand me down rod, a bobber, can of worms, and a farm pond full of sunfish?
I just like to catch fish too. It doesn't matter to me how I catch mine or how you catch yours, as long as it's legal. Yes, I keep some too. I just fear this uppity attitude in both hunting in fishing will lead to the ultimate despise of the sports we know and love. I mean didn't we all start fishing with a hand me down rod, a bobber, can of worms, and a farm pond full of sunfish?

We did and it still brings a smile to my face. I have found Tenkara to actually be much closer to that than fly fishing. Fly fishing in streams for trout is my favorite fishing. That being said, I love fishing with all sorts of gear for all sorts of fish and routinely do.

Fly fishing became elitist largerly post "the movie" when a certain type of people took it up. I recall being openly scorned by two of the sort because I was catching trout on nymphs and they failed with dries. Would I rather fish dry flies? Sure, but I sure enjoy the challenge of nymphing and even the strike when swinging some no-hackles.

I taught myself the basics of fly fishing on a sod farm irrigation pond in south Chicago circa 1973. I've been learning ever since. I usually keep some stocker trout (and I'm often the guy helping float stock) every year as they won't make it through the summer in our local streams. There's room for all of us.
For the money, the Redington classic trout is hard to beat. I fish small streams too, but I think 7’6” is short enough and easier to cast. Get an inexpensive reel, and a good double taper line. They’re delicate, and can be flipped and both sides used when only fishing small water.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

This apparent holier than thou attitude is why I dislike fly fishermen almost as much as I like fly fishing. Ignorant POS post ... Tenkara absolutely IS fly fishing. Stick, string, fly ... game over. Makes about as much sense to omit Tenkara as it does anything using a level line or lines with an odd numbered line weight: NONE.

Tom

How true, I love fly fishing and prefer using a fly rod but the holier than thou purist attitude is total kcrap. Tenkara is an art and is fly fishing just as the time honored technique of using a fly rod and reel, sticking the rod through a bunch of brush and "dabbiing" for trout or pan fish is also fly fishing.
Just in case anyone is interested, the Cabela's CGR rods are back on sale for $39.99. I just picked one up!
I have a little old Eagle Claw 6' 5 wt fiberglass flyrod, Martin reel and 5 wt DT floating line. I've caught a lot of very nice brookies in WI floating rubber ants under the brush. A lot of the streams are just tunnels through alder brush and no place to cast just let it drift with the current, the 6 footer lets me reach either side of the creek.
erich
I have an Eagle Claw 6'6" 3/4 wt fiberglass rod ($30)and a White River Intruder (BassPro) 3/4 fly reel ($30). Have < $100 total with rod, reel, line, backing, and leader. Works great in small streams with little room to cast. I prefer a DT line for these conditions as it allows to more easily roll cast the small flies and nymphs. I also like pan fishing for sunfish, small bass. white bass, and wipers with it also, its a blast hooking into 2 lb white bass or wiper on such light tackle. The fly reel even includes a disc drag. I also make my own rod cases from PVC and sew my own rod socks. I have built many fly rods including Fenwick, St Croix, and R. L. Winston but still like these short fiberglass rods.
I typically use two different rods here in northern Pennsylvania on small trout streams. They are 7'9" 2 wt and 3wt rods and they work really well on these small intimate streams. I use double taper lines and for most of the brookie fishing, simple dry flies on a 7-9 foot leader works just fine. I also recently picked up one of Sage's 0 weights and it is proving to be a real pleasure to fish the small stuff with. I need to fish with it on more water until I have an honest opinion though.

John
What would be a good reel to affix to this Cabela's CGR 2 weight rod?

It's fairly petite, so I'm thinking maybe and Orvis Battenkill (size 1) or a Temple Forks BVK in size 0.
I have a battenkill on my 2 wt

Decent reel

The Cortland retro, no longer produced, is a nice reel too
Can find used for around $60

Have heard good things about the tfo reels too

Love the bvk rods
I just dropped the hammer on a Reddington Zero.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
LL Bean has this nifty little two-piece fly rod on sale.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/687...;attrValue_0=Green&productId=1119692

I just bought this one about a month or so ago when it was on sale . . . 6' 6" 3wt

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/731...;attrValue_0=Brown&productId=1201779

I have really enjoyed this rod this winter trout season in Oklahoma. Looking forward to using it for pan fish on farm ponds (with float tube) this summer.
I'm very late to this discussion but I only recall one poster on this thread who leans toward long rods the way I do for small streams.

I like a rod at least 9' in tight small streams through timber and brush. I almost never cast with it, so I suppose it is similar to the Tenkara (sp?) style of fishing. At least 90% of my fishing in such places is threading/lowering/dapping/dipping a fly or (gasp) worm between bushes and rocks into a pocket pool and sometimes feeding line out and letting current take the hook into/under a log jam. Frequently I poke the tip down to the depth I want and then feed out line into the current. A long rod is versatile and allows you to reach more of the stream in the many places where a cast is not practical and maybe not possible. It is harder to walk through brush with it but no rod is handy for that. On open stretches of straight creek that allow casting, enjoy the sudden freedom to actually make a cast! Have caught rainbows to 23" long by such methods, though most are small.

Absolutely LOVE that kind of creek fishing!

Is why I was never interested in fly fishing early on, the people. Finally got into it last year and love it!
Originally Posted by Taco280AI

Is why I was never interested in fly fishing early on, the people. Finally got into it last year and love it!

You run into those people, and even subsets of those people. They tend to congregate on "big name" waters so another plus to fishing small streams.

All fishing is good -
When I was a teen, we would use an old film canister, wrapped with 4 lb test, and a dry fly on the end. We would start up stream, and let the fly float down stream into a pool. Cannot begin to tell how many trout I caught this way. Hundreds every summer.
Sounds like fun. As a teen I used to go to a small city pond near a city lake that had a pier out into the middle of it and used a short length of mono with a small hook tied on to about a 4-5" stick and baited with a bit of dough bait. Would toss the stick out a foot or so from the pier lie down and wait for some sunfish taking the bait try to make off with the stick and plunge my arm into the water to get the stick and fish. Loads of fun.

The first "fly fishing" I ever did was at that same city lake. I noticed that when I cast a small dough ball into the like near the shore sunfish would "rise" up and gobble the dough as it sunk. A drug store near the lake had some small while flies so I saved a few quarters and bought several. Would "cast" with a spinning rod and reel just a foot or so from the bank. Very exciting to watch those small sunfish rise to that small fly as it sank.
Old thread but...I've found the size of the stream doesn't really matter, it's the character of the stream, the vegetation surrounding it, and/or the way you want to fish it that influences rod length. A creek that's a tunnel through brush and overhanging trees may be best fished 6' rod or even shorter. The same sized stream in the open with brush lined banks may be best fished with a 9' rod casting over the brush.

I haven't really kept up with the fly fishing market but in recent years, some of the bargain rods and lines I've cast here and there were surprisingly good. It's a good time to be getting into fly fishing.
My favorite local river is only about 15' wide. My favorite rod to fish it is my 3 weight TFO Finesse series rod. Second favorite is an 8' five weight. I have tried 7' rods there, and they're too short. For larger rivers I prefer my 9' four weight. Most of our fishing is with nymphs or streamers. A black wooly bugger is killer on most of the rivers I fish here in New Jersey and lower NY State.
I like an 7' to 8' ultralight spinning rod, a matched reel with 4 or 6 lbs. test mono, clear casting bubbles, and your choice of flies in the size 10 thru 16 range.

If all else fails, either a light or dark color Hornberg will usually do the job.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like an 7' to 8' ultralight spinning rod, a matched reel with 4 or 6 lbs. test mono, clear casting bubbles, and your choice of flies in the size 10 thru 16 range.

If all else fails, either a light or dark color Hornberg will usually do the job.

Ever tried a small sz 10-12 Pistol Pete or a sz 14-16 Renegade with that rig? I have caught many fish with a fly and bubble. The Renegades work very early morning or late evening when the trout are rising and retrieved very slowly, then even slower.
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Ever tried a small sz 10-12 Pistol Pete or a sz 14-16 Renegade with that rig? I have caught many fish with a fly and bubble. The Renegades work very early morning or late evening when the trout are rising and retrieved very slowly, then even slower.

I haven't used the Pistol Pete or the Renegade. I have used a variety of different color and size Irresistible and Wulff patterns. Foam grasshoppers and crickets work well too.

I haven't used the Pistol Pete or the Renegade. I have used a variety of different color and size Irresistible and Wulff patterns. Foam grasshoppers and crickets work well too.

I often use soft hackles especially the Grey Hackle Yellow. Also used a home made fly in sz 14-16 with red foam that resembles a ladybug with black magic marker dots folded over black hackle.
I've been fishing a Cabelas 5' 4 wt with a 3 wt line and an old Pfluger brass fly reel out here in OR for cutthroats and smallmouths and it works very well. I just picked up a broken Orvis CFO1 reel at a gunshow for 5 bucks and since I couldn't fix it I sent it to Orvis for repairs. They fixed it for 58 bucks with new parts and labor and it fit perfect on that Cabelas rod. Another great choice is the Eagle Claw 3/4 fiberglass rods with that same Pfluger brass reel (I have two) that is a very economical setup that my kids and I have caught many trout on.
Ridgerunner85: I have several "secret places" here in SW Montana where I use my "special" tiny fly fishing outfit.
I catch Brook Trout, Grayling, East Slope Cutthroat, Brown Trout and occasionally a Rainbow Trout.
These small waters (creeks, lakes, ponds and Beaver ponds) seem perfect for my 1970'ish Flyweight Hardy reel and 1970'ish Fenwick FF 605 ultra-light 6' fly rod.
I have had more FUN fishing with this rod and reel than any other outfit I have ever owned.
The Flyweight Hardy reel is so valuable anymore that sadly I find myself hesitant to take it out fishing these days and have been looking (unsuccessfully!) for another tiny reel to use in its stead.!
Oh well I only live once.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Have any of you guys ever heard of a Dennison rod? Bob Dennison made 5', 5 1/2' ultralight fly rods with tiny brass reels. I used one in Kodiak for Dolly Varden and in Oregon for Cutthroats and Rainbows and absolutely love that little rig. I let it go to a buddy but wish I had it back.
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Taco280AI

You run into those people, and even subsets of those people. They tend to congregate on "big name" waters so another plus to fishing small streams.

All fishing is good -

In Vermont, the Battenkill in the southwestern part of the State is a magnet for fly fishermen who tend toward the snobbish/elitist end of the spectrum, the Orvis crowd. OTOH, the White River is, IMO, a better trout stream and gets only a fraction of the action. If you can't find a mile or more of the White River for yourself, you aren't looking/trying, even on a weekend. During the middle of the week, you would be more likely to have between 5 and 10 miles of vacant water to yourself.
[quote=Blacktail308]Have any of you guys ever heard of a Dennison rod? Bob Dennison made 5', 5 1/2' ultralight fly rods with tiny brass reels. I used one in Kodiak for Dolly Varden and in Oregon for Cutthroats and Rainbows and absolutely love that little rig. I let it go to a buddy but wish I had it back.[/quote

Yes but it was a while ago, pushing 20 yrs ago I'd guess. He had a booth at the San Mateo show and I was quite excited about them as there was virtually nothing available that short that was any good at the time other than some old glass rods. Never got one unfortunately. Cool that you used to have one.
In Vermont, the Battenkill in the southwestern part of the State is a magnet for fly fishermen who tend toward the snobbish/elitist end of the spectrum, the Orvis crowd. OTOH, the White River is, IMO, a better trout stream and gets only a fraction of the action. If you can't find a mile or more of the White River for yourself, you aren't looking/trying, even on a weekend. During the middle of the week, you would be more likely to have between 5 and 10 miles of vacant water to yourself.

I avoid those named streams. Perhaps it's just the intimidation factor too. I'm just a kid from Indiana that has worked his way into being able to catch a few trout in a few places.

On Orvis, I generally really like their stuff. My Orvis vest is 30 years old this year and is stained and sewed up in a few places but their prices are insane these days. I did drop into the Manchester Outlet store three years ago though and scored some great deals. I've loved the Helos rods since I cast Rocky Raab's a few years ago in Montana but no way I was going to spend that amount. Found a 9' 4 weight in the outlet ship at 50% off and it's really my go to rod for 75% of my fishing.

Buying Orvis doesn't make me an Orvis guy though! grin
I have a great Orvis fleece jacket that I bought at their store at Faneuil Hall Market when I went to Boston to see the Red Sox play their first two home games in 2008. It had been warm in Omaha and I failed to bring a warm enough jacket for Boston on April 8th and 9th.

Before I discovered Bertucci, I favored Orivis field watches.

LOL, the Pistol Pete was/is one of my favourite flies to fish on the Bow River when the elitist crowd was out and about. Wanna really freak them out? Cast that fly on a high end rod LOL.Priceless reactions!
I only fly fish, not because it is the only method to catch fish, I just have too much fun with it. You wanna toss a worm near by me, I'll probably tie on a San Juan Worm or maybe a Pistol Pete.
It is all about the fun isn't it????

I love small streams, there are a couple tiny ones near me that hold trout. A couple or so years ago, I picked up a Pieroway 7 foot 3 wt that I paired with a Hardy Ultra Light reel.
Kind of fancy rig but the price was right. Have always loved shorter rods on small streams although, I have this one St Croix 9 foot 6wt with an Orvis Battenkill reel that was my favourite small creek setup.
Originally Posted by troutfly

LOL, the Pistol Pete was/is one of my favourite flies to fish on the Bow River when the elitist crowd was out and about. Wanna really freak them out? Cast that fly on a high end rod LOL.Priceless reactions!
I only fly fish, not because it is the only method to catch fish, I just have too much fun with it. You wanna toss a worm near by me, I'll probably tie on a San Juan Worm or maybe a Pistol Pete.

I love small streams, there are a couple tiny ones near me that hold trout. A couple or so years ago, I picked up a Pieroway 7 foot 3 wt that I paired with a Hardy Ultra Light reel.
Kind of fancy rig but the price was right. Have always loved shorter rods on small streams although, I have this one St Croix 9 foot 6wt with an Orvis Battenkill reel that was my favourite small creek setup.

Yep totally agree. I probably fly fish about 85% of the time because I like catching fish on the fly to include catfish and carp. But I am no purist, I just like to catch fish and if spinning or bait cast will get it done I'll do it. Haven't tried bow fishing but have given it a bit of thought. I typically change to a spinning/bubble outfit when trout are just out of fly casting range and rising.

It is. It's funny when people lose sight of that. All fishing is good.

+1

It is really funny when a "purist" gives you the look because you just tied on a black marabou jig, when all a wooly bugger is is a marabou jig on a straight hook. laugh
I get there are folks who like to limit themselves in ways for the challenge but somewhere in there they lost sight of the fun IMO.

Several years ago I was sitting in a rocker on the front porch of the fly shop in Coburn PA next to Penns Creek. I was having a lunch and a beer and relaxing after a really satisfying morning of fishing. Two gents came up and asked how I'd done, told them well and they'd not caught anything. They asked what I got them on and it was mostly stonefly nymphs. You would have thought I'd told them I was using dynamite. crazy

Ah well, enjoy what you do.
Another vote for the Cabela's Close Quarter Rod. I've had no problem throwing flies 40 plus feet either. E

+1

It is really funny when a "purist" gives you the look because you just tied on a black marabou jig, when all a wooly bugger is is a marabou jig on a straight hook. laugh

Love It!
I get there are folks who like to limit themselves in ways for the challenge but somewhere in there they lost sight of the fun IMO.

I take it a little farther ... I keep a few bare hooks in my fly box. Sometimes it can be educational to float a real live grasshopper over what seems to be barren water. Once in a while you get a real shock doing that. Not barren water, mind you, but one day I'd been fishing a stretch of creek and picking up 6 - 9 inch trout. Sun hit the water, things sort of went dead. I re-tied and tossed a grasshopper into the upper end of a large, pool where the waves and bubbles from the riffle at the top faded and let it float out into the middle. I near crapped myself when a ballpark 30 pound chinook salmon rose up out of the bottom of the creek. Didn't hit, but ... daaaaang.

Dry flies are fun, wet flies are fun, nymphs are fun. Gotta remember that each is a replica of something living .. sometimes y' gotta step back to the original. Nothin' wrong with going old-school now and then.

Tom
I both spin fish and fly fish and personally dislike the douche bags in both camps. Don't believe they exist in both camps, read this thread. "They (pick a side) think they're better than us, well we can out fish them any day, they (pick a side) suck, I don't". It's the same with hunters. Heck, we have more pricks on this forum than would be created if every blind person on earth suddenly took up sewing. Heck, I'm probably one of them.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I both spin fish and fly fish and personally dislike the douche bags in both camps. Don't believe they exist in both camps, read this thread. "They (pick a side) think they're better than us, well we can out fish them any day, they (pick a side) suck, I don't". It's the same with hunters. Heck, we have more pricks on this forum than would be created if every blind person on earth suddenly took up sewing. Heck, I'm probably one of them.

I just plumb love to FISH. I will use flies, lures, plastic, and yes bait to catch fish, though I mostly use artificials of one sort or another. The object is to catch fish, the how is your personal business, what ever tickles your fancy. Do not care what others use. I get a kick out of fly fishermen using "strike indicators" just a fancy name for a "bobber".

Fish and let fish is my motto.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I just plumb love to FISH. I will use flies, lures, plastic, and yes bait to catch fish, though I mostly use artificials of one sort or another. The object is to catch fish, the how is your personal business, what ever tickles your fancy. Do not care what others use. I get a kick out of fly fishermen using "strike indicators" just a fancy name for a "bobber".

Fish and let fish is my motto.

Cannot argue, but have a background that required an ability to get really horrible fishermen into fish. And many were serious challenges!

There is a huge difference between fly-fishing bobbers and a chunk of bait presented about any old way...
Just picked up a like new Reddington 5 wt 9' 4 piece with reel and line for $40 at garage sale perfect loaner rod for local lakes.
Been a fisherman all my life, but just began fly fishing a few years ago. My very first fish on a fly was a 24" rainbow trout! Caught on a 5-wt.
Originally Posted by pal
Been a fisherman all my life, but just began fly fishing a few years ago. My very first fish on a fly was a 24" rainbow trout! Caught on a 5-wt.

You've been stung, the venom will last a lifetime........................................... laugh
Originally Posted by pal

You've been stung, the venom will last a lifetime........................................... laugh

This will do it.

[Linked Image]

Plus a 28" carp on the same 5-wt.

[Linked Image]
Nice pics carp are fun on the fly.
P--thanks. It took me 1/2-hour to bring that carp to net.
My starter small stream/brookie rod in the 60's was an old Carcia Conolon 5 1/2' ultra light spinning rod with the split rings, upon which I mounted a small fly reel (a Meisselbach Airex), both acquired form my earnings as a newspaper boy. Still have the reel. The little rod was stiff but could really launch flies in tiny streams and beaver ponds, with a reduced backcast-hangup factor. Caught its share of Vermont brookies.

Since then, the shortest and lightest I have used is a 7' for 4wt rod I tied up in the 1970's from a kit that Cabelas once sold. Early generation graphite.

That is about to change, however. I now have on the bench a glass Herters blank given to me by a friend years ago. Its an ultralight spinning blank about 5 1/2 long with just a little bit more spine than you'd find in typical wet noodle fly rods of today, and I plan to make a dedicated fly rod out of it. That old Meisselbach Airex ought to fit just about perfect.

Modest, perhaps, but....just right.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Its an ultralight spinning blank about 5 1/2 long with just a little bit more spine than you'd find in typical wet noodle fly rods of today

Blu_Cs I find this statement interesting. I don't see it that way, Todays rods to me are much stiffer then rods I have fished with even just 15 to 20 years ago. I am a pretty big guy and my casting isn't something anyone is going to remark on other than to say what the hell is he doing. So a stiff rod seems to smooth my overpowering out some. Anyways I think across the board for the most part blanks of like actions are stiffer than those of the past.
MCC:

The comparable weight class graphite blanks are stiffer, but the glass ones are limper in my experience.

Thus, an equivalent weight graphite fly blank will be stiffer than a glass fly blank.

However when comparing this glass ultralight spinning blank to an equivalent glass fly rod blank, the spin blank has a bit more spine.
While the conversation has moved away from Tenkara, I thought I'd throw this out. It's my latest rod purchase and germane to the small stream topic. Consider it a fixed line equivalent to the Cabela's CGR when it comes to value for money.

Nissin Pro-Spec 3207 6:4 zoom rod. A shosh over 2 oz and of higher quality than other rods not being manufactured in Japan. Zooms from 2.7 to 3.2 meters (9-11 feet). Casts a level #3 fluoro line no problem and I don't doubt a #2.5 would also work. Kind of nice in streams with a lot of over head cover, where a 12 footer is a headache. Also available as a 7:3

Purchased from Amazon Japan, shipped to the USA.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B010NWEWA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently just over $100 + about $15 shipping. Add a few more smaller items to spread the cost of the shipping and its a true bargain. Directly compare it to the TenkaraUSA Rhodo at $250.

Now as to the "Tenkara is not fly fishing", let us remember that in the early days of fly fishing in Europe, where our US traditions arise for the most part, there were no reels. Everything was "Tenkara". Dame Juliana Berner and Isaak Walton were using fixed line rods. Google "pesca Valsesiana" to see how a traditional fixed line style of fishing has remained unchanged in Italy for centuries.
Interesting read Scott, I first started fishing with a "fixed line rod " ( bamboo no less) and a bobber........... laugh. I have done my share of "dabbing" in small streams, don't have much need for a reel doing that. Have fun with your new rod.
While the conversation has moved away from Tenkara, I thought I'd throw this out. It's my latest rod purchase and germane to the small stream topic. Consider it a fixed line equivalent to the Cabela's CGR when it comes to value for money.

Very nice - I have a Tenkara rod I traded for several years ago. I've fished it a couple times and I caught some fish but just haven't had a chance to really explore. I suppose it will have to wait a bit until the mtn streams of New England for brook trout. I even went as far as buying a few tenkara style flies just because they look cool.
https://m.orvis.com/product/encounter-spin-fly-combo/8y4p

Have you looked into this? I have one and love it for small stuff, easy carry with the case and the switch to spinner is effortless.
I'll echo the positive Tenkara sentiments. An absolutely wonderful and relaxing way to fish small streams. It's so simple and I can pack my Tenkara rod in a fanny pack. Check out the Tenkara Rod Company in Idaho. Super nice people to deal with and were very responsive to all my silly emailed questions before i bought from them. Great customer service after the sale too.
How small & light would you like to go? From left to right:
3-weight reel on a 7ft-8" (To give you a relative idea of sizes involved, this being the large reel, the spool is only 2-5/8" outside diameter
2-weight on a 7ft
1-weight on a 6ft-7"
0-weight on a 5ft-5" And yes, even the teeny-tiny toy will cast 30+ feet with little effort.

But honestly, this is what's called having too much time on your hands when you're too far from the fishing smile

Attached picture 3-2-1-0 weight reels_R1.jpg
© 24hourcampfire