Home
Posted By: 1minute Spawning Brook Trout - 11/25/18
I knew these guys were spawning in a local lake and normally like to leave such activities alone. Had the rod along on Cookie's last trip out, however, and could not resist quickly leading one up onto the edge of the ice for a look. Certainly a gorgeous fish.

[Linked Image]

Only took about a dozen casts to land 3, so I guess that means they're aggressive this time of year. Nothing for scale, but I'd estimate about an 11 inch fish.
Beautiful!!!
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/25/18
yes, those white edged fins are outlandish! thanks for posting this photo!
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/26/18
The brook trout and ringneck pheasant is mother nature at it's best.
Posted By: jpb Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/26/18
SWEET PHOTO!

John
Posted By: ingwe Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/26/18
Excellent photo! Ive taken a few myself over the years....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: abbydog Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/27/18
Stunning colors.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/27/18
Ingwe:

Good capture there. Don't know why, but it seems todays digitals do a much better job on fish than the old film units.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/29/18
Truly the prettiest fish. Nicely done.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 11/29/18
Yep. Beauties!
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 12/02/18
[Linked Image]

By far the prettiest fish I have ever caught...because of the gill damage, ate it and it was delicious.

Edit: I know this particular one wasn't on the fly, but have caught them by the bushel in this same spot on soft hackles, just never one to match this one's beauty.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 12/19/18
My absolute favorite fish species of all time. . .
Posted By: akgrant Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 03/31/19
Too bad as soon as they touch bare ice like that it strips the slime off and they die within a couple weeks.......
Posted By: 1minute Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 03/31/19
Splashed some water on the surface before bringing it up. There was no opportunity for it to freeze down in the few seconds it was at the surface. One can see the meniscus along its back and tail, and it's still doing quite well. Temps were not 30 below or anything near that.

I once retained a nice cutthroat for mounting purposes with instructions to remove the slime before freezing to help with color preservation. Has anyone ever tried to absolutely clean all the slime off a fish? Even with corn meal, dry soil, and a roll of paper towels it's a very difficult task.

We see fish fighting, skidding themselves through shallows, jumping rapids, bouncing off rocks and the shore, and many carrying net marks and seal bites, and they do quite well. A lot tougher than most folks think. Have had a few aquarium fish spend 15 to 20 minutes on the floor. Throw them back in looking like a ball of lint and they did just fine.

Some suggest the act of just touching a fish results in a death sentence. If they are that sensitive, they're not meant to live anyway.

The most mortality I see among sport fish is a product of wearing them out in warm surface water and not putting much effort into their revival.
Posted By: akgrant Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 04/01/19
I'm just going off the comments of a biologist that was on the ice with us
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Spawning Brook Trout - 04/01/19
Brookies for breakfast........................yummy.
© 24hourcampfire