Home
Posted By: lawnman Fly vise choice? - 06/14/19
Looking to tie some flys. Started flyfishing last year so apparently this is the next step lol. Local shops carry HMH and bass pro has the peak rotary version. Haven't seen the hmh in person so not sure what model they have. Both seem solid. Any advice on these or others? Wanna spend $200 ish or less. Thx
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/15/19
Peak rotary for what you want spend.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/15/19
I've been using a pair of Regal vises for over twenty years. One a table top model (for traveling) and the other a clamp on. They do everything I want to do as far as fly tying. Good luck and have fun with your fly tying it becomes a sport onto itself.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/16/19
I have owned many, many different vises over the years and have settled on the Nor-Vise and have been on their prostaff for quite a few years (my son, also) and use a lot of the features they bring to the table...

If I was not using it the Regal would be my first choice. They hold a wider range of hooks better than any other brand I have used. I have owned a few ridiculously expensive vices, too.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/16/19
HMH Spartan is a great $200 vise. Made here in Maine. I've tied 10x long 2/0 streamers down to 26s with mine and no troubles.
Posted By: macrabbit Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/16/19
Although I don't have wide experience with different vises, the Danvise has done me well for a long time. I'd buy another if I needed one. Under $110.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/17/19
I have been using a Regal Inex for many, many years. Great vise, solid holding power, handles a wide range of hook sizes.
On the road, I take my Renzetti Travel vise. You can't go wrong with either.
I am quite interested in the Norvise though.
FWIW, I still have my first vise, an old Thompson Model A. Works pretty darn good still.
Buy a good quality vise and have fun!
Posted By: CWHaxtonMaker Re: Fly vise choice? - 02/28/21
Renzetti is my favorite vise.
Posted By: waterrat Re: Fly vise choice? - 02/28/21
Renzetti for as long as I can remember.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/01/21
Peak rotary for my needs.
Posted By: Farming Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/01/21
I watched my dad tie a lot of flys on a old Herters vice. He’s since upgrading. I have no doubt that you can find a vice that has the features you need at a price point you want.
Posted By: ribka Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/01/21
Regal for home. Renzetti for a travel vise
Posted By: fishnut Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/04/21
I love my peak and my Regal. To meet what your looking for, the Peak is awsome.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/04/21
Adding another vote for the Peak Rotary. I found a used one in excellent condition for our son for $150 shipped if I remember right on this forum:

Classifieds @ Washington Fly Fishing
Posted By: 1minute Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/05/21
I too am looking for a new unit, but all I find on the shelves are sourced from China.
Posted By: ORFish Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/05/21
Used NorVise. I do not know anyone (myself included) who has ever gotten a NorVise and switched back to anything else.. Make sure you use the NorVise bobbin as well (will make you hate all non-retracting bobbins)
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by ORFish
Used NorVise. I do not know anyone (myself included) who has ever gotten a NorVise and switched back to anything else.. Make sure you use the NorVise bobbin as well (will make you hate all non-retracting bobbins)

I agree with you 100%...

My daughter-in-law and granddaughter have started tying in earnest lately and they do not make any excuses for limits from their riggin'.
wink
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/10/21
I have given away many Renzettis and felt the need to apologize...
Posted By: styckbow Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/21/21
Originally Posted by troutfly
I have been using a Regal Inex for many, many years. Great vise, solid holding power, handles a wide range of hook sizes.
On the road, I take my Renzetti Travel vise. You can't go wrong with either.
I am quite interested in the Norvise though.
FWIW, I still have my first vise, an old Thompson Model A. Works pretty darn good still.
Buy a good quality vise and have fun!

I still use my old Thompson A as well; works great.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/22/21
I have been using this, Peak, for a few years. Works well and is reasonably priced. Bench is all cleaned up and ready for next winter tying season.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 1minute Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/28/21
Decided to jump on the Norvise wagon, went to their site, and it seems they're pretty much sold out. Anyone know if they are still in business/production, or are they closing up shop? Did the contact thing through their site, but have not gotten a response yet.

Thanks,
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/28/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
Decided to jump on the Norvise wagon, went to their site, and it seems they're pretty much sold out. Anyone know if they are still in business/production, or are they closing up shop? Did the contact thing through their site, but have not gotten a response yet.

Thanks,

There's one left available right now on Amazon. Pricey little buggers.
Better hurry...
Posted By: 1minute Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/28/21
EagleMountainman:

Thanks for the heads up. Think I scored it. Typically try to purchase directly from the manufacturers and did not think to go there.

You cost me a bundle, dammit.

Have a good one,
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/28/21
I recently picked up a Regal Medallion to replace a HMH that I had lost in a move. Its a wonderful vise, extreme hook holding power. I've been tying on it for a week now and come to really like it. Not true rotary, but I don't need true rotary. Rotary action is good enough for me. I like the simplicity and range of hook sizes it will hold with no adjustments needed.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/29/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
EagleMountainman:

Thanks for the heads up. Think I scored it. Typically try to purchase directly from the manufacturers and did not think to go there.

You cost me a bundle, dammit.

Have a good one,

More than happy to help out. Assisting others in spending their money, is much more fun than spending my own.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Fly vise choice? - 03/29/21
Got an e-mail response from the Norvise folks this AM. They are still in business and are presently restocking if any one is interested.
Tight lines,
Posted By: 1minute Re: Fly vise choice? - 04/01/21
Vise showed up in today's mail. Excellent concept.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Fly vise choice? - 04/08/21

+100!
Posted By: Ubet Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/08/22
Renzetti !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 35 years of commercial tying and worth every cent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Fly vise choice? - 06/09/22
I have been using my Renzetti Traveler ever since 2005 or abouts. So long I cant remember. Im not a commercial tier but I reckon I have tied thousands of flies for myself and my buds. Im saltwater only so no idea how it works with small trout flies. I have had no issues with this vise at all. On the other hand I never used any other vise so I have no reference to compare it to.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Fly vise choice? - 07/06/22

What he said! GREAT vice and fantastic bobbin.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Fly vise choice? - 07/12/22
Been using the NorVise for about a year now. My take, it's a great unit for producing large flies that demand a lot of winding. Still prefer my old Thompson's for ties from 10's down to the tiny 20-22's for trout though.
© 24hourcampfire