Home
Posted By: LJBass New 4 wt rod. - 08/16/19
Well after borrowing my brothers fly rods for a while I stepped up and bought a 7wt. It's a great rod, but just takes all the fun out of the local trout and panfish. I thought it over, cashed in a half gallon jar of change and headed to the local fly shop.

Ended up with an Echo Gecko 4 wt rod and reel lined with RIO LT. Turned around and picked up another 6x leader with 5 flies of each in Elk hair caddis, Adams parachute, and Pheasant tail nymphs. If today was any indicator. Money well spent. Casts were delicate and the fish were keeping me busy. It's nice to actually be the guy pulling them out of the water for a change.

It is a youth rod, it has a goofy looking grip section. But the rod was 100 and the reel was 34+line... Lot of rod for the money I thought.

Get out there guys, they are hitting caddis flies, beetles, ants, hoppers in my area. Good luck.
Posted By: RickBin Re: New 4 wt rod. - 08/16/19
I caught a couple of largemouth yesterday on a 8wt. Fun enough, but the 8wt was really for stripers, which never came by.

+1 on the “get out there.”
Posted By: Prwlr Re: New 4 wt rod. - 08/17/19
4wt fun for the sun.............................. fish, that is....................... laugh

Also try some small size 12 or at most size 10 poppers or spiders................. lots of fun.
Posted By: patrout Re: New 4 wt rod. - 02/08/20
I ran a 4wt for trout in north pa for 18-29 dry’s, made things interesting. Grew up with a 6wt and finally settled on a sage 5wt.
Posted By: 1minute Re: New 4 wt rod. - 02/08/20
The present stable carries everything from 7 ft 2 wt's up to 16 ft 10wts. Each has its place.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New 4 wt rod. - 02/08/20
4wt is probably my favorite all around fly rod for rainbows and browns.
Posted By: Pugs Re: New 4 wt rod. - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
4wt is probably my favorite all around fly rod for rainbows and browns.

If there is no wind agree.
Posted By: patrout Re: New 4 wt rod. - 02/09/20
Wind blows lol, wt fwd line is a must as there is usually a breeze on
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: New 4 wt rod. - 02/09/20
My first "good" fly rod was and is a TFO Pro 9 foot 4 weight. It is still my go-to rod for most of my trout fishing. However, I often use a 3 weight rod on small streams here in New Jersey. I see no need for a 5 or 6 weight rod unless I head up to NY State and bigger water - and bigger fish.
Posted By: SS336 Re: New 4 wt rod. - 03/04/20
Small stream trout rod. I fish it with a 4wt DT. It's almost as crooked as it looks in this picture. grin 50's Pflueger, 40's H&I cheap bamboo, probably worth nothing. Great panfish rod also. Small flies and small fish it works great.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: fishnut Re: New 4 wt rod. - 04/06/20
I've got everything from a 1-12 wt rods and use my 4s as much as anything. I live and fish in the West were wind is always going to show up at some time of the day. Your 4 will do you just fine in most trout situations. I even throw a couple bead head nymphs with a 4 without issue. Enjoy it and don't be afraid to push it a little.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: New 4 wt rod. - 04/06/20
My 4 weight is one of my more practical rods but one I don't use often. Where it really comes into its own is fishing for the lower Rogue "half pounder" steelhead, a juvenile run of steelhead that run mostly around 13-15 inches with a few down to 11 and an occasional 20+ inch fish .. and occasionally a jack salmon to keep you honest. My rod is a Cabela's LSi 9 foot 4 piece. I have 3 lines for it, all WF ... full float, sink tip, and a lake line.

For sheer fun, I prefer my Sage 000 but when the afternoon wind comes up, it is .. done. smile There are afternoons where I put the 4 weight away and pull out my old Fenwick HMG 8 weight 9 footer which wears a 9 weight WF line, floater with a sink tip. It is a bit much for the fish but it makes it possible to fish in the heavy wind.

My other rod, which often rides in my truck, is a 5 foot, 2 piece, 2 weight Cabela's TQR .. tight quarters rod. I have a WF 2 floater on Bass Pro Shops ultralight reel. It is pretty fun up in the small headwaters creeks where there's a lot of brush.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: New 4 wt rod. - 04/06/20
My fly rod journey began years ago with an Eagle Claw 7WT 2 piece.... It was a rod my paternal grandfather packed around in the camper, just in case... About twenty five years ago I took a fly fishing for steelhead class at OSU and the "prof" upon hearing I was more likely to hit smaller water for smaller fish sugested I try a 3 or 4 WT instead of that club. LOL All these years later here I am, finally, gearing up... A break from new rifles I suppose. I ordered a 3wt and then before it arrived ordered a 4wt.... Got the 4 first then the 3 shows up broken... So, I did the right thing and sent it back and ordered three more! Damned virus has my ordering slowwwwwed down. Will have to see how they work out.
8'6" 3Wt
9' 4Wt
9' 5Wt
11' 3Wt
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: New 4 wt rod. - 04/06/20
Originally Posted by SS336
Small stream trout rod. I fish it with a 4wt DT. It's almost as crooked as it looks in this picture. grin 50's Pflueger, 40's H&I cheap bamboo, probably worth nothing. Great panfish rod also. Small flies and small fish it works great.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is where I land. I have two, 4 wt. bamboo rods. One from a pair of builders in Georgia who made absolutely wonderful rods but just couldn't break into the market enough to stay in business. It's 7', 2/1. The other is a 6'6", 2/2, that I built on a Tufts and Batson blank for the skinny spring creeks I love to fish. Both are fished with a Terenzio, D/T silk line and silk leader.

There's also a W.W. Griggs 7', 4 wt. graphite laced with a Teeny WF line that gets the call for less then gin clear water.

All are great fun!!
Posted By: BigPine Re: New 4 wt rod. - 05/03/20
I had an Orvis “Tippet” that I dearly loved. So much so that I gave it to my oldest son as his College graduation gift.
He was headed to work in the Never Summer range in Colorado and I knew it would have better use there. I miss it but I do get to see it in pictures with some cutthroats from time to time. Maybe I’ll find another someday.
© 24hourcampfire