Home
Posted By: bwinters Building a fly rod - 03/24/20
I'm considering building a fly rod. I've built several spinning and bait casters so I'm very familiar with the process.

For blanks, anyone used either of the MHx blanks? Looking at the Native version but understand the MHx Tradisional is very good. I'm also looking at the Rod Geek Carbon 4 St Croix 'equivalents'.

Thoughts on these blanks? Or any others to consider?

Thanks.
Posted By: ribka Re: Building a fly rod - 03/24/20
I like rain shadow blanks and built a few fly rods. My finish work wasn't the best but I like the action of the blanks

I know a few guides that use their blanks for bait casters and spinning rods and swear by them for quality blank at a reasonable price. Cant comment on your blanks though.

http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/fly-fishing/
Posted By: Maverick_31 Re: Building a fly rod - 03/24/20
We have used some MH blanks for our local chapter of Project Healing Waters builds. They are very nice blanks, especially for the money. Very similar to the TFO rods I have. I have finished a 8 wt for salt water, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. In trying to find a more moderate action, I just got a couple of Bloke finished rods, and like them a lot. You can look at Bloke Rods and blanks on-line. They are very popular in Europe. Can't wait for some better weather to try them out. Good Luck with your build.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Building a fly rod - 03/24/20
Thanks guys.
I really like Gatti blanks.

http://www.gatti-flyrods.it/usa.html
Posted By: brydan Re: Building a fly rod - 06/29/20
Gatti, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. I cast some of their rods at a show geez 20 years ago now and thought they were nice.

Now that I think about it, I have a an old Sage rod that was some kind of limited edition thing, at the time a very fast 7'6" 6wt that says "Designed for Sandro(?) Gatti". Not sure if that's the same Gatti but I assumed it was made for that "TLT" casting technique the Italians were promoting back then.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Building a fly rod - 07/02/20
I ended up building on an xi blank from Hook and Hackle. At the price I bought it I couldn't pass it up. Rod turned out very good. I caught 1/2 dozen smallies and a 16-17 inch trout on its first outing. Mated with a Lamson Litespeed 3, 7wt Scientific Anglers sinking tip line, it worked to perfection. I see a high end 5-6 wt in my future....
© 24hourcampfire