Home
The 6.5 130gr shoots pretty good out of my Kimber Montana. Have you guys used them one deer at all.
There was a thread last year if I remember. I did shoot one deer with them and can't complain but I never recovered the bullet . . H4350 is my powder of choice and what I use which shoots very well also. Sierra said the TGK is a tougher bullet designed for heavy game.
Yes, from my .243.

Works awesome. Behaves like a 95 Ballistic Tip with a better BC. Have shoot game between 20 yards and 425 at this point. Performed admirably in both scenarious.

Dave
I have the 6.5mm 130's loaded in my 6.5x55 and .264WM for this year to try out. Reports from the last season or two are not that prolific. The few I have seen said good things (not including Seafire's debacle).

I'm trying them out to see what happens. They sure shoot great out of my rifles!
When I can find some time I'm going to see if my 30-06 likes them. Hopefully I can try them on a big hog.
Originally Posted by mathman
When I can find some time I'm going to see if my 30-06 likes them. Hopefully I can try them on a big hog.

I acutally have some factory loaded ammo from HSM loaded with the SGC and it shoots pretty well.
Shot a mule deer buck at about 200 yards with a 6.5CM - 130gr GC and 41gr H4350 at about 2700fps last year. Tipped him over right on his nose, stone dead. Wife will be using same gun and load for her cow hunt this weekend.
I may use a 165 out of a 30-06 this season.
Originally Posted by tzone
The 6.5 130gr shoots pretty good out of my Kimber Montana. Have you guys used them one deer at all.

Same for me from my T3x Lite. I’ll be using it on Colorado mule deer next month. I’m using the HSM 6.5 CM load. It shoots great. Same for the HSM 165 load from my .30-06.

Expat
I shot a pig with the 130gn GC in my 6.5 CM but then changed over to the 129gn Hornady SP for some reason. I might load some in my 6.5x57 for next season.
A buddy of mine had some big blow ups last week on three animals.

3k from his 6.5x68 made huge exits and one empty cup recovered

All dead....but he said he will go back to TTSX
Originally Posted by tedthorn

With performance like that, who wouldn't?? Dead animals, large wounds, and exits? That's bullshit.
Nope.....

90 grain Ballistic Tip instead out of the 243....

However "my debacle" as people described my last years experience... learned " the hard way" by Campfire Standards..

unlike originally told by Sierra it was an equivalent to a Ballistic Tip.. which it wasn't...

Learned that lesson painfully...

however have taken bullets from the same batch, and redlined the velocity with RL 19, and testing proved that they are a very hard bullet...loaned same rifle to a friend who is using it this season....who took a fairly large deer with it on their property..

so push it hard on the gas pedal, it'll turn into positive results... it is certainly accurate enough.. and even a hair better than a ballistic tip...at least 90 grainers tested side by side, with the same load...using RL 19...
These are the results Ted was talking about with our buddies 6.5x68 @3000 FPS.

He shot a doe antelope with less than stellar results.

The same day he took a coyote and had a huge exit.

A few days later he shot a nice buck antelope.

This is the entrance,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And the recovered jacket,

All three animals had very similar results. The critters are dead for sure, and I don’t think anybody thinks they are bullet failures but the 6.5 130’s seem awfully soft.

That said, my wife shot a cow elk at very close range with a full house 140 .270 GC and we had excellent results. Broke the large onside front shoulder, recovered under the hide on the off off side.

Entrance in the point of the shoulder,

Exit behind the off shoulder,

Recovered bullet. I can’t remember what it weighed but was very happy with the results.

I’m going to use the 160 SGC out of a 7 mag next week for a mule deer hunt. But due to my buddies experience, my 260 Rem will never know what the 6.5 130’s taste like.

Good luck,

Todd
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

With performance like that, who wouldn't?? Dead animals, large wounds, and exits? That's bullshit.

laugh laugh
It seems like the consistency is all over the board on these babies.
Originally Posted by Justahunter

But due to my buddies experience, my 260 Rem will never know what the 6.5 130’s taste like.

Good luck,

Todd

Isn't the 6.5x68 a bit hotter cartridge?
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Justahunter

But due to my buddies experience, my 260 Rem will never know what the 6.5 130’s taste like.

Good luck,

Todd

Isn't the 6.5x68 a bit hotter cartridge?

Yes, but he’s only got the bullet running 3000 FPS. He’s got it held back a lot. Pretty easy to get 2900 out of a Creed or .260...

Todd
I forgot that detail from when I read the start of the thread before. 3000 is pretty mild for that cartridge.

Yep
Nothing like blowing softball sized holes through meat

Yep

You can eat right up to the hole! grin

Yep

Or people could learn how to shoot, and blow softball-sized holes through the lungs.

Your choice. It's never been that difficult to figure out. Maybe you should stick with the monometal bullets.

Yep

Or people could learn how to shoot, and blow softball-sized holes through the lungs.

Your choice. It's never been that difficult to figure out. Maybe you should stick with the monometal bullets.

I don’t know why our opinion on this being too soft of a bullet offends your sensibilities so bad but nobody asked for your advice. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, or go pound sand... whatever works best for you but learn to chill a little.. what we do shouldn’t bother you so bad. The OP asked about this bullet. We shared a mutual buddies experience and our opinions.. that’s it..

Todd
I’ve now killed the following with 130SGC’s @ 2800fps via 260 Rem:

Bull elk @ 527yds - 2 shots behind shoulder (1 pass through and 2nd under offside hide w nice mushroom) bull made it 10ft
Muley buck @ 490yds - pass through, drt
Muley buck @ 248yds - pass through, made it 20yds
Large boar black bear @ 75yds -broke on-side shoulder and pass through, 20yds
Doe antelope @ 350ish - pass through, drt
Doe antelope @ 300 - pass through, drt

Most accurate and consistent on game performance I’ve ever had out of a bullet. Acts like an AccuBond with a better BC.
Shot another 4x4 Mule Deer yesterday with a 130GC @ 2700 fps. Off hand shot the deer at about 50 yards quartering hard away. Hit the point of the ham and blew a hole about the size of a baseball through it, entered behind the ribs and never found the bullet. Deer took off, definitely hit hard but still going. Shot him in the neck with the next shot and lights out. When skinning him out the lungs and pretty much anything ahead of the diaphragm was still intact. First deer I shot was textbook, this one has me questioning them. I have shot deer from that angle before (albeit with a 30-06) and 150gr Interlocks that would have penetrated well into the chest cavity. The end result was a dead deer so I shouldn't complain too much I suppose.
© 24hourcampfire