Home
Posted By: Tom2506 .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/05/20
Hey to All,
Just a quick survey of those hunters that use 30 caliber ROUND NOSE bullets.....
Which weight and brand do you prefer and why?

Looking to change things up in my handloads for nostalgia reasons.

Thanks, Tom
Posted By: T_O_M Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/05/20
I like Speer for cup n core bullets. I shot some of their 180 grain roundnose bullets in my .308 with reduced loads and was surprised by the accuracy. Worth a try. If Hornady still made the 270 grain roundnose .375 I'd be scooping up a few boxes. My gun likes the Federal 270 grain RN factory load.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/05/20
I used to load Hornady 150 RN's at 2400 fps for my niece to shoot in her 308, until she got old enough to shoot 150's at full power.

I used Varget, got good accuracy and she knocked down a pile of deer and hogs with that combo for years.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/06/20
Hornady and speer 180's, in factory ammo 180 core lokt's
Been using Hornady bullets in the 308 win.and the 30-06.

My friend has used them for years and they have always worked.

These are the 150 grain.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/06/20
I used a 180gr. Hornady RN to harvest the biggest whitetail I've ever take in 1974. Back in the day most hunters I knew shooting .308's used 180gr. RN bullets, those who didn't reload shot Remington Core-lokts.

Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/06/20
I load 150gr RN for my Savage 99 300 Sav.
Posted By: efw Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/06/20
Hornady 180 GR RN Interlock and Remington 180 GR RN Core Lokt.

I’ve always felt that they were essentially the same.
Posted By: Bugger Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/06/20
I have 308 RN bullets Remington CL's, 150 grain and 170 grain. I shoot them in my 30-30 and my 30-40 Krag.

I prefer the 170's.
Posted By: Uncas Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/06/20
Back during the first really scary ammo buying mania (there have been a few).. I ordered and received a sleeve of the (much hated in print...) 150 Sierra RNs. Just to have on hand. Loaded light for two friend's first deer hunts the bullets went 4 for 4. I have 2 Krag Contender barrels my usual load of Varget produced groups of .35" at 50 yards in a 22" and the usual 3/4' out of the Super 14. Got some real 30/150s and mostly forgot about the Sierras.Two years ago I revisited the T/C s and shot a few really good 100 and 200 yard groups. A purchase of a Savage F class got me back into after a 20 year cooling off period...into the boring world of .308 Winchester. The gun shoots 165 SSTs at 2.49" at 600 yards I was going to fireform up some new brass so why not waste some Sierras? They go 5 bullets into .4" all day any day. Nothing makes one an expert like reading what the experts say about...( fill in the blank) !
Posted By: gunswizard Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/06/20
The thing you have to remember is that magazine articles are written to sell magazines, not necessarily to convey the facts.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/07/20
Love round nosed bullets for several applications. finding any in today's world is the issue! You may have to order from "boutique" bullet makers ( i.e Hawk Precision) or Woodleigh (they have many round nosed bullets) Good luck to you pard1
Consider the Nosler 170 gr partition. I have not used them, but they're available. I'd expect them to expand easily and penetrate well. Someone on this forum has probably tried them in a .308 or .30-06.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/09/20
I have used the now extinct Winchester 180 grain Power Point round nose bullets in my 30/06 on several antelope. I HATE Remington Cor-Lok bullets after having a number of failures including one last year fired at a small doe mule deer using the older stronger round nose bullets of the 60's. The one Remington round nose I have used on several elk, antelope and deer that has not failed me YET is the older hollow point Cor-Lok bullets. These had no lead exposed and a heavy jacket. I have recovered several from elk over the years.
Posted By: Joe Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I have used the now extinct Winchester 180 grain Power Point round nose bullets in my 30/06 on several antelope.

Those are a favorite bullets in my .30'06 and I've had more DRT results using these than any other. I have less than a 100 left.
Tom,

It's really a function of where you hunt. Back east, and down south where distances tend to be shorter, round nose, and flat nose bullets are a great option for all the reasons mentioned above.

Out here in the wide open west west distances can be a lot longer.....they typically are not the best option.
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Love round nosed bullets for several applications. finding any in today's world is the issue! You may have to order from "boutique" bullet makers ( i.e Hawk Precision) or Woodleigh (they have many round nosed bullets) Good luck to you pard1

I saw 150RN hdy on the shelf last week.
200 or is it 220s on their website..
The property owner was driving, the spot light was out and the rules were simple, if it eats grass or drinks water, we were to shoot it. The Ute (an open backed car/small truck that is immensely common and popular with both rural and tradesman use in Oz) had a cage to minimize unintended shooter relocation to the ground and the driving was fast across ground the navigator knew well, which means he drove fast and stopped faster. Many thousands of culls are done this way and this particular property owner had been culling this land since 1964 and was losing ground.

On this particular occasion, I was using a Model 70 Featherweight in .30/06 and had been cleaning up odd bullets from my shelf including round nose bullets of differing weight and brand but the point is, that this guy tended to pause after I shot and called the round nose bullets when used. Never missed a call. They do sound different when they hit, but you tend to notice that more when you are killing several dozen animals over a couple, 3 hours or so, where it gets too cold to stay out much longer. Yep, Aussies get cold because of their thin blood from the hot climate.

It becomes easier to notice trends in bullet performance and RN bullets have an impressive track record as hunting bullets, particularly where the ranges are under 200 yards which means 99% of shots on game. I would still grab some old stock laying around when it is found.
Posted By: Youper Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/14/20
I've use the Hornady 180 RN in the .30-'06 for deer and black bear. They worked well enough that I'd do it again, but I'm using other thing at the moment.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

I saw 150RN hdy on the shelf last week.
200 or is it 220s on their website..

Hornady makes a 220 RN. I have Hornady 180 RN and Sierra 220s in 30 cal, and 35 cal Hornady 200s and 250s.
Posted By: Rooney Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/22/20
I've just purchased a box of Hornady 150 RN and a box of Sierra 150 RN for use in my.308. So far very good results on paper using IMR 4166. Intend to use one or the other brand this year for deer. Off to the range this morning to decide which one is the winner.

Paul
Posted By: saddlesore Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/22/20
I always preferred the 180 gr RN in my .308 for elk. I think they were Sierra's, but it has been awhile.I still have a box loaded up.
Years ago I switched to an .06 after I got the magnumitus out of my system. I use 220gr RN Sierras in it and have killed several elk in the 350 yard range. Lasered one at about 450 yards..If I know for sure I will be hunting open country, I use 180 gr Partitions. I have been surprised while I had the magazine filled with the 220's and they did the job out there a ways. I never cared for 150gr bullets in either the .308 or .06. 165 GK's were my usual fodder for deer
Posted By: HawkCreek Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/22/20
I like the Hornady 220 RN for loading .30-06 and .30-40 for my Winchester 1895 carbines. Supposedly it's the same profile as the original .30-40 bullet. I emailed them and it's supposed to expand down to 16 or 1700fps.
Woodleigh makes some very nice ones also but they said theirs would only expand down to 18 or 1900fps.
I haven't tried the offerings from Hawk yet.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/22/20
I've shot a few deer with the Sierra 180 gr. RN from the .308 and 30-06. They all just conveniently died on the spot, never going anywhere except straight down.
Damned if I know where I got them but I have a bunch of full boxes of the 220 gr. Sierra RNs on my shelf. Maybe O ought to try them in the 06 and see where they go with velocity and accuracy.
Paul B.
Posted By: Tejano Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/23/20
I shot the 150 & 170 30-30 bullets as a woods load in the 308. The 180 Core lockt is the good type still. Round nosed bullets seemed to be more uniform than the older spitzers and definitely the hollow points.
What kind of range do you expect?
I keep a heavy RN ready in the event I see something closer than I think my pointeds will perform.
Posted By: HawkCreek Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/23/20
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
What kind of range do you expect?
I keep a heavy RN ready in the event I see something closer than I think my pointeds will perform.

I love 165 grain BallisticTips for open range hunting. I've shot two deer at less than 100 yards with this load. One and 30 feet and this years buck at about 65 yards. Both DRT. I'm hoping the RN hits a bit harder but really what better performance can someone expect than that?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ned Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
Consider the Nosler 170 gr partition. I have not used them, but they're available. I'd expect them to expand easily and penetrate well. Someone on this forum has probably tried them in a .308 or .30-06.

I have some of these and plan on trying them. I’ve been under the impression they are made for the 30-30, which may make no difference, but going to check with Nosler first.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/25/20
I have in my collection of spent bullets a 250 Barnes fired into an elk from a 30-06. Impressive looking mushroom. I also have several Remington Hollow point 30 caliber round nose recovered from elk, the only Cor-Lokt I trust. Saying that I have a picture perfect 220 Remington round nose I retrieved from a mule deer. They definitely impact with more authority than spitzers
Posted By: WStrayer Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/27/20
I cannot find it now but I recall that one or more of the bullet makers published suggested velocity ranges for their bullets.
I currently load the Hornady #3031, 150 grain spire point, FB in 30 Win. Looking at the 150 RN but concerned that it is designed for 30-30 velocity.
I did see that Hornady now lists a bullet for 300 Savage in SST. I suspect that this is designed for the lower velocity of the 300 Savage.
Likewise they now list #3035 (1550 RN) as "30-30"
Sierra makes a 150gr RN, but seems out of stock most places.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/30-caliber-7-62mm-150-gr-rn/
Posted By: gunner500 Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 10/28/20
Last year the same old Buddy bought another case of Remington 180gr round nosed core-lock ammunition for his 308 Winchester, he shoots that load at everything, he's obviously a hunter and not a long range poker, he kills right along with everyone else. grin
Posted By: Youper Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 11/03/20
I've tried the Sierra 150 gr. RN only in the Savage 300 cartridge. For whatever reason it didn't shoot as well in those rifles as the spitzer and the boat-tail.
Posted By: mag410 Re: .308” RN Bullets ??? - 11/03/20
Speer .308 180 gr Spitzer, BC .441 @ 2700 fps, 200 zero, -24.91" @ 400 yards.
Speer .308 180 gr RN, BC .328 @ 2700 fps, 200 zero, -28.36" @ 400 yards.

Sue me for 3.45"
© 24hourcampfire