Home
For loading a 30-06 w 165gr. bullets using Hunter powder, do you recommend magnum or standard primers. I have a ton of fed 210’s but getting low on magnum primers. Looking for consistent accuracy and velocity and just wondering which primer would do better with this powder.
I think it depends on the powder. First principles and assumption of a longer, hotter ignition in using magnum primers I think would favor them for slow powders in cold conditions. There are some very experienced people on this board, maybe try asking them direct if you don't get traction. Or just keep researching.
Try them. I used both and had no noticeable difference in either velocity or accuracy. I did stick with the mag primers for cold weather hunting.
I use magnum primers in 06-capacity cartridges when igniting spherical propellants and it has worked well for me.

Really as long as you don’t change to a magnum primer mid-load testing (that is, work your way up with a change to any and all components) there is no downside.
I have hunter on hand and thought about Loading some 180s.
But just standard primers.
My 270 win. Loves hunter and does just fine with CCI 200s
I’d try mag and std with that load, going with the best groups

DF
Nah, I'd go with the worse groups!!!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Now you know you can’t kill a deer if it won’t shoot half inch.

Ha!

DF
59 grains with a magnum primer for me, 180 Partition.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Deadly
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Deadly

So deadly in multiple rifles I named the load “Hammer.”

P
Yeah buddy, I've seen what that load will do to a critter. It makes them DOA to the ground.

That load works for me, as well the 200 grain Partition.

Take care

LMOA
Originally Posted by jwp475

LMAO

Aww. JB was just kiddin... wink

grin

DF
© 24hourcampfire