Home
I've seen pics of some setups with multiple presses. I've always used just one for all stages of the process. I have a buddy who recently bought a house and shop and an RCBS RC IV just like mine was left in the shop. He has no interest in reloading and said I was welcome to it, so of course I'm not going to turn down a free press. Just wondering what the best use is for an extra press on the bench?
Dedicated decapping station comes to mind.
Mathman, that had crossed my mind. What is the main benefit of decapping in a separate operation? I always just do it when I FL size or neck size the brass.
Often the way I'm sizing brass doesn't decap, and you can also keep primer residue off your main loading station.

When I'm measuring for shoulder movement during sizing I don't want irregularities in the fired primer face affecting the measurement.
What "Mathman" said.

My old RCBS Rockchucker has been a dedicated de-capping press for many years, as I long ago decided resizing cases was easier for me if I had already de-primed the case. Because of this my resizing dies for bolt action bottle necked cartridges have had the de-capping pin removed. The one exception is 5.56 ammo loaded for gas guns on my Dillon 550 B.
I use my original single stage press as a dedicated decap station. Then I clean brass before resizing. Maybe not necessary but it works for me.
I have a press set up for 416 Rigby, another for 38/357, a hand press for decapping when watching tv, another for anything else. I used to have another (Star) for 45 when I shot the 45 a lot.
I use 3 presses. One is a dedicated deprimer, one for sizing and one for seating. it's nice not having to swap dies.
I use two single stage presses, deprime and size. Seat with a Lee die and arbor press.
I would set up 3 if I had the room, 2 is great to have though.
Agree that having 2 is nice if you have the room for it.
I have three single stage presses. 2 mounted on my bench and one on a lightweight portable stand. It's nice to have a second press in case you need to run a case back through the sizing die after you've already set up the bullet seating die. It's also nice to have a portable stand so you can do some of the more mundane work somewhere else if you want to.
Originally Posted by mathman
Dedicated decapping station comes to mind.

I got two Rock Chuckers on mine... one new in the kit, and the other used at a small Gun Shop, for $50..

one is set up for 223, and the other is set for anything with a .473 bolt face...
I have a single stage press and a progressive on the bench. Nearly always use the single stage for sizing/decapping because I clean/tumble the brass after sizing even if using the progressive. When I used to shoot competition, I had a progressive set up for each caliber.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I like to show this picture of my bench because it is the cleanest it has ever been.
Sometimes I have to look for my bench. Clean it up but it doesn't last long.

I have four set up. Two for sizing, two for seating. When working up loads or loading more than one cartridge it's easier just to leave the dies where I set them, or easier to adjust if I'm changing seating depth or adjusting the shoulder bump for example.

Of course, a turret press would work better..........

Almost forgot, have two more presses in the drawer for backup..... crazy
Don' t really understand the anxiety of have to many presses. Have multiple rifles chambered for the same cartridge .Oh I get it you guys all have women to answer too. MB
I just set the extra one up for the high volume rifle I shoot the most. Then the other can be used for whatever, without needing to switch dies as often
I recently gave mine to my youngest son. My progressive went to my middle son. Eldest son doesn't handload yet.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Don' t really understand the anxiety of have to many presses. Have multiple rifles chambered for the same cartridge .Oh I get it you guys all have women to answer too. MB

lol......As a lifelong bachelor, I understand........
Ditto on the dedicated decapping press. I have an old Lee mounted to the bench in the garage instead of my reloading bench in the house (I’m confined to a large closet, so not enough room for two presses). After a shooting session, almost without fail, I decap and clean primer pockets, and usually tumble them right then as well. Just makes my process flow smoother.
If I had a third press I would probably set it up as a dedicated primer, as I like to prime with a Ram Prime rather than handheld primers.
i also have an extra RCBS single stage press, what i did was attach a heavy piece of medal like 6x10 inch plate and use it as a press i can take to the range with a couple of c-clamps to attach the press to a bench or something so i can load when at the range.
Originally Posted by cs
(I’m confined to a large closet, so not enough room for two presses).

Wrong-O, bucko......

3 presses, 2 measures, and 3 trimmers will fit in a 3 foot space....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I use one for seating and one for a LEE factory crimp die.
© 24hourcampfire