Home
What priming tool are you using with good success?

In the past, I used the 21st Century Priming Tool, but I'm thinking it might be overkill for hunting ammo.
Used a Lee Auto Prime for years and wore it out.

Been using an RCBS hand primer for many years now. It's a bit funky to change shell holders but it only takes a few seconds. Thought about getting the model with a universal shell holder but you still have to change the primer feed system for small and large primers. The original one works and will certainly last the rest of my life so I figure no pressing need to change.
Frankford Arsenal...
RCBS RamPrime. It came with my first press, a Reloader Special 2.
Lee second gen auto prime, 3rd gen gave me fits. They will break so have spare parts!
Lee 1st and 2nd gen Auto Primes. The second gen sucked so I really nurse the 1st gen.
RCBS
I have Lee and RCBS. Lee is my favorite. I really do not like the RCBS, except the Lee won't accept 416 Rigby
I've been using a Lee Auto Prime for almost 30 years. A number of years ago, I developed a small flat spot on the link after priming well over 10,000 cases. Lee sent me a new link for the asking. It's still going strong and has now primed over 15,000 cases, both rifle and pistol.
A couple of old Lee auto primes, one set up for large rifle and one for small.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Lee 1st and 2nd gen Auto Primes. The second gen sucked so I really nurse the 1st gen.

Yep
I have four RCBS hand priming tools, small pistol, small rifle, large rifle, and magnum rifle. I don't have to change anything.
21st Century
I like my Sinclair tool.
Frankford Arsenal............it's just really good, with a micro adjustment for seating depth.

And well made.

MM
Originally Posted by super T
I have four RCBS hand priming tools, small pistol, small rifle, large rifle, and magnum rifle. I don't have to change anything.

Me too
Dillion 550.
Works great.
2 RCBS, one for small and one for large.
RCBS
Original Lee hand primer. rebuilt it a couple of times then thru it in a drawer as a reserve when I purchased a Lee Auto Prime. Picked up a couple more Auto Primes on Ebay for just in case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This.
[Linked Image from gun.deals]

Or this.
[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Or this.
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Or this.
[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]
I use ram prime on the press.
The one that came with my rockchucker press about 25 years ago.

1st gen Autoprime, own three of them. Have wore out two of them previously. Ran in to some brass with tight pockets a few years ago and it was a toss-up whether my thumb or the Autoprime was going to give out first. Bought a RCBS bench priming tool and have been using that ever since.
Lee, Auto Bench Priming Tool
Lee ram prime put In a lee hand press.
Went through a bunch of Lee Auto Primes in various versions, then got a Sinclair, followed by a FA hand priming tool. The build quality and leverage of the Sinclair is hard to beat.
I'm on my second Lee Auto Prime after many years of use. Went with it because it works well and I had lots of shellholders for it. Be Well, RZ.
I use three different older model Lee's. One has large rifle, one has small rifle and one has large pistol. I also put a wrap of painters tape around the lid, with primer info on them after I load primers. Keeps the lid from coming off, and me from forgetting. miles
Lee Safety Prime that came with my first reloading kit. Use it with a Classic Cast now, never seen a reason to buy anything else.
Sinclair, have 3 of them
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The one that came with my rockchucker press about 25 years ago.

Same here
Hornady though I removed the plastic primer holder part.
Used to use RCBS but wore them out with metal fatigue until the handles broke off.
This Hornady has lasted 25+ years now as I always prime by hand.

For many years I used the primer feed tube on the press. About 30 years ago, I bought the RCBS hand priming tool.....wish I had always had one! memtb
After spending money on "better" hand primers...it's back to the Lee, again.
First generation Lee Auto Prime, for about 35 years now. Had to replace the handle twice, which is why I have two extra handles in reserve.

I bought a Lee bench mounted tool but it's gathering dust on a shelf. Maybe some day...
Originally Posted by auk1124

Same here, and I have spare parts if needed.
I also have the older round tray Lee Auto Prime. If I were buying new today, I'd probably go with the Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool.
RCBS hand priming tool.
RCBS auto priming tool-- since 1977
Using an RCBS bench mounted priming tool. I like it well enough that I’m not looking for anything else.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming/bench-mounted/automatic-priming-tool/16-9460.html

John
I'm still using two 1st generation Lee Auto Primes that I cobbled together, but a friend has a Lyman that I really like.

(I also have a Hornady that I do not much care for)
Frankford Arsenal, really like it.
Originally Posted by Hudge
Frankford Arsenal, really like it.

That's what I'm using these days. I had a chrome Lee and a new red Lee unit both crack and split at the shellholder. Tired of fooling with those.
Hornady

Dan
still using my first gen Lee auto prime.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Using an RCBS bench mounted priming tool. I like it well enough that I’m not looking for anything else.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming/bench-mounted/automatic-priming-tool/16-9460.html

John

Same here, works well
Lee Ram Prime.
I like the feel of priming on a press, but don’t care for the little primer arm thingy that came with my Boss. I don’t watch much TV so never saw the point of a hand primer, and with my attention / distraction span I need to treat each operation with care.
RCBS Hand Primer.
Fast, accurate, and well built.
Thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds thru mine. Never, not even once, any kind of problem.
WB

This^^^
Originally Posted by montanabadger

This^^^

Wish I thought of that before they discontinued them.
A Lee Auto-prime for range loading. I tried an RCBS hand primer but after about 6 months it self distructed. Rivets came loose & it fell apart.

For home use I got the bench mount RCBS with primer feed that so many above use & have used nothing else since. It just keeps working. With WLRs ...sometimes... the last primer or two in the tube doesn't feed right if not used slowly. All is clean lubed & tight. It just happens once in a while if I'm working it fast.
I used the priming tool on My Rockchucker press for years then a couple years back I bought an RCBS bench mounted priming tool and I love it!.......Hb
I use a Dillon 550 almost exclusively for all priming.
Still using the Lee Auto Prime I got in the 1980s. Haven't had to use the spare I got back then. I like having a good feel for how tight the primer pocket is when priming brass.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Dillion 550.
Works great.

Better than great
RCBS Universal hand priming tool. Can't imagine thinking anything could work better.

For cheap and no hurry a Lee Ram Prime works fine.

Tried Lee's hand tool and thought it utter junk.
© 24hourcampfire