Home
Posted By: handwerk Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
wondering what cartridge/bullet combo folks are using this powder for?
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
I use it mostly with 120s and 139/140s in the 7-08. Occasionally in the 22-250 and 250 Savage
Posted By: noKnees Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
I use it in a bunch of applications.
250AI 100 and 110 bullets
6.5 creed 120,130 and 140 bullets in 3 rifles
7mm-08AI 140's
338RCM 210's

I will likely see how it goes in a 300WSM with 168's

Its just a bit faster than h4350, so its in a good spot for a lot of middling cartridges. Its a ball powder so it meters great. Its particularly nice in the creed as I typically load larger batches and I throw all the charges. In the smaller cases I use WLR primers and Fed215s in the RCM. I will start with the 215's in the WSM when I get there.
Posted By: mikestaten Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
120s in the 7mm-08 too
Posted By: Phasmid Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
7mm08 -120-140s
30-06 - 125 - 150s
.270 -110s
22-250 - 40 - 55s
All with Win. large rifle primers. Very good accuracy.
I worked with one 7mm-08 where the ONLY thing it liked was BG with 140 TTSX's.

FC
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I worked with one 7mm-08 where the ONLY thing it liked was BG with 140 TTSX's.

FC

Not a bad problem to have.... wink

DF
Posted By: roundoak Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
When H4350 and IMR4350 availability waned I went looking for alternatives to use in the .257 Roberts and 7x57mm. Big Game worked OK in the Roberts with 90 gr and 100 gr bullets. Used in the 7x57mm with 154 gr and 160 gr bullets it was dismal, but OK with 120 gr and 140 gr bullets. Glad I did not buy a whole bunch of it, because, IMR4451 came on the scene.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
Hate Big Game powder....
Seems to make a mess everytime I use it from an RCBS dispenser. It works though for my 7mm08 loads.
Originally Posted by roundoak
When H4350 and IMR4350 availability waned I went looking for alternatives to use in the .257 Roberts and 7x57mm. Big Game worked OK in the Roberts with 90 gr and 100 gr bullets. Used in the 7x57mm with 154 gr and 160 gr bullets it was dismal, but OK with 120 gr and 140 gr bullets. Glad I did not buy a whole bunch of it, because, IMR4451 came on the scene.

If you can find it, H-100V is a great Roberts powder, probably the velocity champ, although not as temp stable as H-4350.

Where I hunt, extreme temp variations not a big issue.

DF
7mm-08 here. I plan on trying it in .30-06 150 to 168 grs.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
I use a ton of it in my 7-08. 140 AB's and 120 BT's.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
30-06 with 150-168 grain bullets. Also used it in my 7mm-08 with 120-140 grain bullets. Is messy with the RCBS electronic dispenser but generally accurate with good velocity in most everything I try with it so I live with it.
Originally Posted by Esox357

Seems to make a mess everytime I use it from an RCBS dispenser. It works though for my 7mm08 loads.

Originally Posted by jdunham
30-06 with 150-168 grain bullets. Also used it in my 7mm-08 with 120-140 grain bullets. Is messy with the RCBS electronic dispenser but generally accurate with good velocity in most everything I try with it so I live with it.

Have used it in a 7mm08 with 120 NBT's. Measured charges are definitely "messy" as some of the powder bounces out of the pan as it is metered in . I'm tempted to throw charges the next time but my load is near max so I heed caution and talk myself out of it. Maybe I'm not using the correct loading technique?
Posted By: noKnees Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
Originally Posted by woods_walker

Have used it in a 7mm08 with 120 NBT's. Measured charges are definitely "messy" as some of the powder bounces out of the pan as it is metered in . I'm tempted to throw charges the next time but my load is near max so I heed caution and talk myself out of it. Maybe I'm not using the correct loading technique?

After I get the measure set, I hold the case up to the bottom of the measure and dispense into the case directly, 40 cases in few minutes.
Posted By: Paulh Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
I use it in a Ruger #3 30-40 Krag with 150 & 165 grain Sierra's. Works fantastic.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
I put a case full of it in a .338 Win, with Norma brass, Fed. 215M primers and the Barnes 225 grain TTSX bullet for about 2,836 fps mv. Shoots very good groups.

That's one of my fav 7-08 loads. Works great, kills'em dead...

I set up my RCBS Uniflow and dump directly in the case, no pan, no mess, uniform loads.

DF
Posted By: handwerk Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/15/20
Thanks for the input gents, just ordered 4 bottles, we'll see how it does in my 30'06,, 7x57 and .243.
I hear it works in the 7mm-08.

P
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/16/20
Originally Posted by handwerk
Thanks for the input gents, just ordered 4 bottles, we'll see how it does in my 30'06,, 7x57 and .243.

Where you finding powder these days?

DF
Posted By: Bry Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/16/20
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

I hope so, I bought a 8lb jug a few weeks ago and have 2 boxes of 140gr Partitions on the way. Caught wind of that somewhere.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/16/20
DF, There is a retailer on Gunbroker with a bunch of one pounders at a fair price.
Thanks.

DF
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/16/20
Originally Posted by handwerk
DF, There is a retailer on Gunbroker with a bunch of one pounders at a fair price.

Gunbroker is where I found my Reloder 16; 4lb for $200 shipped. Not bad in today's climate.

Unfortunately, you will get raped on primers. I seen 1000 Federal 210 primers go for $355 plus $40 shipping.
I've been using 30 yr old BR-2 primers I got from the estate of a shooting friend. I helped them with his guns, etc. was given powder and primers for my trouble. I've only had one not go bang.

DF
Posted By: lastround Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/17/20
[/quote]

I set up my RCBS Uniflow and dump directly in the case, no pan, no mess, uniform loads.

DF, that’s how I load with Big Game. Straight out of the powder measure into the case. Meters great.
Originally Posted by Bry

P

I hope so, I bought a 8lb jug a few weeks ago and have 2 boxes of 140gr Partitions on the way. Caught wind of that somewhere.

Interesting combo, I might need to look into it.

P
Originally Posted by lastround
[/quote]

DF, that’s how I load with Big Game. Straight out of the powder measure into the case. Meters great.

Next time I load 7mm08's I'm going to give this a try.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/17/20

[/quote]
It will splash out of a scale pan.

Direct drop into the case is the only way to go with that type powder, IMO.

And, it meters so well, you'll get super uniform loads. Just drop a few loads and weigh them. Doubt you could beat it weighing individually.

DF
Posted By: OXN939 Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/17/20
Hate Big Game powder....

Lol at guys who are concerned with how much of a mess the powder makes... I'm out here hand trickling each charge trying to get my 7mm-08 to have some groups with decent ES.

Anyone have experience with Big Game and 120 grain Hammer Hunters in 7mm-08? One of the potential choices I'm looking at trying. That, RL-17 or H4350
Posted By: old_willys Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/18/20
When I had a Forbes (Titan mfg) 30-06 it worked great with 168 Tipped TSX but my ULA 30-06 didn't seem to like my loads with Big Game..
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/18/20
Originally Posted by OXN939
Hate Big Game powder....

Lol at guys who are concerned with how much of a mess the powder makes... I'm out here hand trickling each charge trying to get my 7mm-08 to have some groups with decent ES.

Anyone have experience with Big Game and 120 grain Hammer Hunters in 7mm-08? One of the potential choices I'm looking at trying. That, RL-17 or H4350

Why don't ya direct drop a batch, weigh out a batch, compare groups.

Those powders meter so well, I'd be very surprised if you can show a difference.

DF
Posted By: longbarrel Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/18/20
Midsouth has big game in 1 and 8 pound.
Originally Posted by longbarrel
Midsouth has big game in 1 and 8 pound.

Thanks, just ordered a big jug of Big Game and 3 small cans of X-Terminator.

Stuff's hard to find, gotta move when it's available.

DF
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/18/20
Seems like it only comes around once as year or so. Same with Magnum.
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Seems like it only comes around once as year or so. Same with Magnum.

Gotta strike while the iron’s hot.

And these days, quickly.

DF
Posted By: ned Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/19/20
7X57 Mauser, 120 grain TTSX, 3030 fps. Load is from Ramshot data. Accuracy wise the 120 TTSX out shot the 120 Nosler BT
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/19/20
Pharmseller posted he “heard” BG works in the 7-08.... Ha!

Seriously, do a search for his posts, loads, targets and critters.

It do work and pretty well.

I like BG enough to have ordered a big jug as posted above. It works with more than just 7-08.

And it meters so well. Some complain about scale pan splash, which can happen. Dumping directly from powder measure to case solves that. It meters so well, weighing charges is, IMO, a waste of time. Check that out for yourself, pretty sure you’ll skip the scale pan.

DF
Posted By: OXN939 Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/19/20
[/quote]

So here's a pretty nerdy one for you guys. Case capacity of 7mm-08, per Nosler, shows 50.4 grains water, and the min/max spread for Big Game as 48.0-52.0. So, on the lower end of that spectrum, the 2.4 grain difference between case capacity and minimum load would probably allow you to seat bullets fully without compressing the powder at all, right? I'm no reloading master, but have been told by a few that loads just under full case capacity are generally the easiest to find an accurate node with.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/19/20
RS Big Game worked great on 3 other 7-08,s in my Tight chambered Forbes LH 7-08 shows pressure early? H 4350 faster and no pressure signs.
RS BG in 250 Savage, 9.3 X 62, 338 RCM, and others

So here's a pretty nerdy one for you guys. Case capacity of 7mm-08, per Nosler, shows 50.4 grains water, and the min/max spread for Big Game as 48.0-52.0. So, on the lower end of that spectrum, the 2.4 grain difference between case capacity and minimum load would probably allow you to seat bullets fully without compressing the powder at all, right? I'm no reloading master, but have been told by a few that loads just under full case capacity are generally the easiest to find an accurate node with.

[/quote]

My 120 NBT load, using R-P brass, is 51.5 grains BG for 3126 fps. Not compressed.

Tikka.

P
Posted By: OXN939 Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/19/20

My 120 NBT load, using R-P brass, is 51.5 grains BG for 3126 fps. Not compressed.

Tikka.

P
[/quote]

Great SA on this. Think I'm gonna pick some Big Game up after all- about the only medium/slow burn rate powder I can find right now
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/20/20

[/quote]
Now, this the Fire. Doubt anyone shoots beginning loads. Doubt there’s any air under the bullets.

DF
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/20/20
I run a little over 46 grs of Big Game under a 150 gr NBT. Outstanding accuracy.

Also found 3 lbs of Big Game this evening at my local Sportsmans warehouse.

Attached picture 7-08.jpg
So far the 30-06 and 165g bullets
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/20/20
I really like Big Game in my 338-06 with 200gr Silver Ballistic Tips and 200gr Accubonds.I was needing to buy more,so I tried working up a load for my 30-06's.I've used it with 150gr bullets,so I knew a little about how it would do.I found a load that worked well in three 30-06's with 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and I'm working on a 180gr load that is working well in one so far,but I still need to see how it shoots in my other rifles.I use a Win Large Rifle Magnum primer with this powder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/20/20
30/06, 150gr GMXs over 62.2 RS BG & Fed 210s, WW case for 3050fps. Rock 22.5" bbl

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/20/20
[quote=baldhunter]I really like Big Game in my 338-06 with 200gr Silver Ballistic Tips and 200gr Accubonds.I was needing to buy more,so I tried working up a load for my 30-06's.I've used it with 150gr bullets,so I knew a little about how it would do.I found a load that worked well in three 30-06's with 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and I'm working on a 180gr load that is working well in one so far,but I still need to see how it shoots in my other rifles.I use a Win Large Rifle Magnum primer with this powder.

Thanks for posting. Have been using H-380 in my 338-06 with good results. I do like those bullets, also use the 180 TTSX.

Now with 8#’s of BG on the way and just one pound of H-380, may have to go with BG for that one as well.

Good groups, great round.

DF
Posted By: Browtine Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/22/20
Midway has 8 pounders right now, but going fast!
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

It will splash out of a scale pan.

Direct drop into the case is the only way to go with that type powder, IMO.

And, it meters so well, you'll get super uniform loads. Just drop a few loads and weigh them. Doubt you could beat it weighing individually.

DF
[/quote]

I loaded 50 rounds of 7mm08 yesterday with Big Game, dropping charges from my Uniflow directly into the case. I periodically checked the weight and like you said DF and they were "super uniform". Talk about consistent! Sure does save time.
7mm-08. Hornady, WLRM, 150gr NP, 45.0gr Big Game, 2.805”, 2670fps. 1.25” ain’t impressive, but out of a Montana is certainly respectable.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Ramshot big game powder - 12/27/20
Hate Big Game powder....

Lol at guys who can't find a load with Big Game....
© 24hourcampfire