Home
Hi All,
Just got my brand new Winchester/Miroku 1886 and want to roll some ammo for it. Obviously, there are no large rifle primers available, but I have a bunch of CCI #34’s.

In putting together some easy-shooting Trapdoor power loads, can I safely use the #34’s?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
I can't think of any reason at all that it would be unsafe. I'd give it a try and if you have misfires or disappointing accuracy, swap the rest for the primers you would ordinarily use. Alternatively, just look for a swap and be done with it...but you might be passing up something that works beyond your expectations. Only one way to find out about that. I sure can't imagine how it could be unsafe in any way, though.
Go forth with confidence. I worked up 45/70 and 50 Alaskan loads from mild to wild using 34s with great results. My 45/70 is a Miroku 86 too.
Hey, thanks for the info! I’ve heard some people say that the #34’s are considered magnum primers, and could cause pressure issues that regular LRP’s would not. Now if I can just find some bullets...

Cheers,
Tom
They are a good hot primer to ignite ball powders used in govt contract 7.62...the big difference is sturdy construction of cup to eliminate slamfires...use 'em up. The chronograph shows no surprises compared to Winchester Large Rifle.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
They are a good hot primer to ignite ball powders used in govt contract 7.62...the big difference is sturdy construction of cup to eliminate slamfires...use 'em up. The chronograph shows no surprises compared to Winchester Large Rifle.

Thanks much!
TR
Try a couple first , my old win 94 wouldn't fire them. Too hard, i had to pull all the loaded rounds and reprime with large rifle primers
I started loading M1 Garand with the CCI #34. Somewhere along the way I started using WLR. I see no diference in the Garand and never had a slam-fire.
Lever guns tend to be more finicky on ignition so you might have trouble with the round not igniting due to light hammer strike.
© 24hourcampfire