Home
Posted By: Jevyod Pre-Interlock bullets - 03/06/21
What can you all tell me about the pre interlock hornady spire points? Specifically looking for info on the 7mm ones. I got some 154 grain from an older gentleman in the area, some are the spire point and some are round nose. I plan on shooting them in a 280 AI. My thought is to run the round nose at maybe 2700ish for woods hunting and the spire points at full hoise loads close to 2900+ fps. Will these hold up enough to get a pass through on deer even at close ranges? Thanks.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 03/06/21
No direct experience with them in 7mm but the 130s have held together fine on deer out of my wife’s 270.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 03/06/21
I used the pre interlocks for years in .30 cal. with satisfaction, but...I never drove them very hard in .308 and .30-06. I would say, they were no better nor worse than any other cup and core of the era. I don't know what your impact velocity is, but 2900 out of the gate...I'd be surprised if you don't get some fragging. Which,still kills critters, in spite what the advertising experts say.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 03/09/21
They are fine. They kill well and are accurate. I have not used that particular one, but have used the 150s in .308 and -06. They shoot just like the Interlocks for me.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 04/13/21
I have 700 Spire points.I have yet to shoot them but have some .277 150 gr. round nose bullets loaded. I am looking forward to shooting them , and maybe for a bear. I bought them for $7.00 per box about 20 yrs ago from a guy who go them at some estate sale.
Posted By: Guybo54 Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 04/14/21
I never had any issues at all killing deer with the plain ole 130gr Spire Point from a 30.06. I never lost a deer when shooting that combination with the majority of them falling on the spot and the few that did run fell within sight. Most went in and out and the ones that didn't exit which wasn't many were stuck under the hide on the offside and were in a nice mushroom. Nothing at all wrong with the old school Spire points.
Posted By: super T Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 04/14/21
Jevyod, how do you know they are pre Interlocks? Hornady introduced the Interlock design in 1977. Your bullets would be over 40 years old. To answer the question you asked, they will work great. I know this because I have used both the pre and post Interlocks extensively on deer and elk.
Posted By: Keith1 Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 04/15/21
I killed 2 bull elk with the 154 Spire Point out of a 7X57 in the early 1970s. I always thought that the velocity was around 2800 FPS. One of Bob Hagel's loads. Anyway both were one shot kills with 1 being at about 35 yards and the other around 90. The bullet worked fine at that speed.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Pre-Interlock bullets - 04/15/21
Originally Posted by super T
Jevyod, how do you know they are pre Interlocks? Hornady introduced the Interlock design in 1977. Your bullets would be over 40 years old. To answer the question you asked, they will work great. I know this because I have used both the pre and post Interlocks extensively on deer and elk.

I have a box of 175 gr. and two boxes ox of 154 gr., all spire points and the word Interlock is not ot on the bottom of the boxed like newer ones. I sectioned one bullet from each ox and the Interlock ring is not there. I reckon it's safe to say my bullets are pre-Interlock.
Paul B.
© 24hourcampfire