Home
Seems like I just keep coming back to 4320. It's what I started with over 50 years ago and it seems to beat everything else or at least be in the running accuracywise in just about any medium velocity round I load.
Just finished a ladder with Varget, 4166 and 4320 in the 308 and guess who won?
Don't see much mention of it but it works for me.
Do you have a good stock of it? I believe it has been discontinued.

I had found it to be excellent with 150/155 grain bullets in the 308 Winchester.
I use it a lot in the 8 x 57, 7.65 Belgian, 7.62 Russian match loads (nothing else comes close). My inventory is diminishing, and I am searching...Norma 201 seems to fit almost grain for grain...but that is unobtanium here in the land of inconvenience.
Very picky 243 pre 64 FWT that Dad bought for Mom in ‘57. Absolute tack driver with 4320 and 100gr Nosler Solid Bases. Yes, both discontinued 🤬
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/09/21
I'm still using it. Down to just a few a few pounds left though.

It's been great for me in 17Rem, 223 and 250Savage.
Yep it's been a good powder for my 8x57, 308, & 30-30. Down to my last pound and then it's all over but the crying.
I have about 3/4 lb since it only gets used in hunting rounds, it should last a while.
I still have several one pound cans. I'm thinking of using in 30-06 loads for my M1's.
I still have a couple pounds and it works great in the .308 with 150's as well as the 260 Rem with 120's.
Use it in my two 35 Whelen's. Not worried about running out, have a good stock.
Always seemed to mirror RL 15 in what I load for. I wouldn't toss it away.
Posted By: logger Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
I sold about 40 lbs of various powders earlier this year. 2 lbs of 4320 were the only powder that went unsold.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
I have a couple of pounds yet. Mostly use it in the 358 Win. Dabbling a little with it in a new to me 30-06. Hunting use only so my supply should last a while.

Dale
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
While I had a fair supply of various "newer" powders early into the "crises" my range/LGS had 8#'ers of 4320 for $200. I have used it a fair bit in the past with the "improved" powders as well. It just works fine with the rounds I shoot. About optimum in some and more than suitable in the rest. I bought it and I am likely done buying powders.
Posted By: Youper Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
Until it was discontinued I used it for the 300 Savage and the 350 Rem. Mag. I still have two or three pounds, and I'll save that for the 350.
I only use it for the 17 Remington I own, 3 pounds will do me for a while.
I have three or four pounds left. Use it in the 338-06. Don't shoot it often so it should last awhile.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
Used up the last of mine few weeks ago. Pretty old stuff my father purchased in the late '60s - early '70s.
I have about 6 pounds of it, in unopened one pound containers. I bought it because it was on sale and being phased out.

Hodgdon quit making that and SR 4759 has really pissed me off toward them... who needs all of these new untested by time powders they keep coming up with, when they have products that have worked for decades after decades.
I tried it way back in a Browning Safari 243, a Mark X 25-06, 30-06, IMR 4320 just didn't measure up. Finally gave the remainder away!
Posted By: lotech Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
Thirty-five years ago, I used IMR-4320 in my .338-06 and it worked very well. Then there was either a shortage or they stopped making it for a while. I switched to IMR-4064. Charge weight was very close to the IMR-4320 load and velocity and accuracy were just as good. Even after it was available again, I never found a need to buy any more IMR-4320.
It's hard not to use it when it works this good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've used it in my 30/06, 35 Whelen, and my 7x57 - all with great success. Down to a quarter pound or so. Been replacing it with 4064 and 4350 which also both work very well. Sad to see they discontinued it but it was pretty close to 4064 so I'll be fine.
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I still have several one pound cans. I'm thinking of using in 30-06 loads for my M1's.

I used H4895 in the M1. 4320 is a bit slow for that application IMHO.
Yes I use it, I have a few bottles left, I am starting to switch to other powders in rifles where it don't matter as much.
I like 4320 in 223 bolts and AR's, 30-30's, 308 bolt actions and semi autos, & .17 rem, it pi$$es me off that it's been discountiued.
I wish I could find me a 8 pounder right now.
Have been using IMR4320 for 30+years. Worked well for me in my 300 Sav and 7 x 57.

Have just enough left to load up some more of the those for hunting. In my rifles it has worked well.

Also used some to work up a fine load in 223 with Sierra 55 gr stuff. A while ago i bought 2 lbs of IMR4064 for a good price. Will use that in the 223 after i work up a load.

Was NOT happy when i learned the 4320 was discontinued.
Posted By: Joe Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
I use it in .250 S. 7x57, .30'06, .300 S..303 S. and .358. Started using it in the 1970's because of the metering qualities of the short cut granules along with 4895. When Bullets.com was going out of business, I bought an 8# jug for $128.60! And that boys and girls was only 3 years ago!
Posted By: Hudge Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/10/21
I bought a pound of it last spring right when Covid was hitting. I tested it in my .300 WSM and got great velocities. Found out Ot was discontinued and now my plan is to burn the rest of it up in my .308
It was a great powder and I hated to see it go. I used in .308 and some of my other calibers. It had good results in several applications.
IMR-4320 has become my go-to powder after I was given an 8-lb keg of it. So far it's doing a great job of keeping two 308 win rifles fed, and recently in the 35 rem with a good dose to shove 250gr cast gas checked slugs down range. All in all I'm very pleased with it. It now holds the title as my most accurate powder for a load in a heavy barreled Schultz and Larson target rifle in 308. I'd post a picture of the group if this forum site wasn't so cumbersome on uploading photos. 5 shot group at 100yds was 0.3" on sandbags. This powder is capable of stacking shots in the right setup.
So we had a powder that consistently gave good and sometimes the best accuracy, meters well in most measures and gives good to great velocities. There are a lot of powders that are close in burn rate and I've tried a lot of them over the years but have never found any of them to be better for a medium/fast rifle powder.
Why the heck did they discontinue it?
My go to powder for the 22-250 behind any bullet. Bought several pounds when I heard about the discontinue bs so am set for a while,
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So we had a powder that consistently gave good and sometimes the best accuracy, meters well in most measures and gives good to great velocities. There are a lot of powders that are close in burn rate and I've tried a lot of them over the years but have never found any of them to be better for a medium/fast rifle powder.
Why the heck did they discontinue it?

Hodgdon buying up all the powder companies, probably be more discontinued. It surprised me when I heard Hodgdon bought most of the powder manufactures/distributors, even AA, they want to control it. I like Shooters World Powder, it's cheaper & they work.
I will still buy Hodgdon products if they don't raise prices. If so SWP will be my go to.
The thing with 4320 was how nice it ran through a measure, & was accurate even if it's burn rate was slow for the bullet weight.
Posted By: mart Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/11/21
It has long been my go to for the 35 Whelen and 17 Remington. I have several pounds yet. I have used in several other rounds with good luck, 257 R, 308, 30-06, 22-250 and I'm sure some others I'm not remembering. It's a shame to see it discontinued.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/15/21
I had to take sometime off work yesterday and stopped by a LGS. They had just gotten a shipment the day before of IMR4320 and 2 more powders. I grabbed the last one they had. This is the second place in 2 months that has gotten IMR4320 here locally, and all 1lb containers had a red metal lid, all others are black plastic lids. I know they are not powder they bought off someone’s stock and resold as well.
Anyone use it in 6mm BR? Found my way into two pounds of it and heard it is close to Varget.
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
Anyone use it in 6mm BR? Found my way into two pounds of it and heard it is close to Varget.

It runs through a measure better than Varget and the burn rate is close. I like 4320 better because of the small granules.
Posted By: CBB Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/16/21
22 hornet
Posted By: Dale K Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/17/21
Looks like there's a few of us still using it and we all have small supply. When that runs out, then what? For me, probably IMR 4895 since I have it on hand already. I did use IMR4064 as a replacement when I couldn't get IMR 4320 but don like it in the powder measure.

What else? I might try Accurate 2520 or Accurate 4064 (it's supposed to be shorter cut kernels than IMR).

Dale
Posted By: Joe Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/17/21
AA-4064 does have shorter kernels than IMR and mine is slower burning by about a grain. When my 4320 is gone I will take up the slack with 4895 and if that is ever dropped from production, I'll quit loading.
Thanks double! Good to know.
I have a good load for my 35 Whelen and 225 Partitions and I have about half a pound left.
I have more use for powders like 4320 that have been around most of my life, than all of these newest latest greatest stuff you see that keeps showing up on the shelves. I get pissed when they ended 4759, and a host of the other faster IMR line., 7625 for example...

but from a marketing stand point, people keep wanting bigger faster. " long range" cartridges and components...

I know it'll piss some people off, but my personal theory, it caters to those types that have to buy the trucks with the super turbo'ed diesel, 10 inch lift and monster mudders... compensating for a testosterone deficiency and a short Johnson....

if you don't burn 80 to 100 grains of powder per shot, you're not a "real man"....neither are you a 'real man" unless the animal was taken at 1000 yds...

how did we all get along with powders like 4320 all of these decades?? defies imagination...
Originally Posted by Dale K
Looks like there's a few of us still using it and we all have small supply. When that runs out, then what? For me, probably IMR 4895 since I have it on hand already. I did use IMR4064 as a replacement when I couldn't get IMR 4320 but don like it in the powder measure.

What else? I might try Accurate 2520 or Accurate 4064 (it's supposed to be shorter cut kernels than IMR).

Dale

Shooters World match is good for the same calibers that I liked 4320 in, but it's not a short cut log powder it's a ball powder & works well.
For me 4320 was predictable even with a new bullet I could always get close with the new load because I knew the powder, and I don't like Varget.
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I don't like Varget.

Even tho it is right next to 4320 on most burn rate charts, I've never had much luck with it either. I know some people swear by it but that has never been my experience. 4320 beats it every time.
Hello Hodgdon, are you listening?
Posted By: Hudge Re: Anyone still using IMR4320? - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I don't like Varget.

Even tho it is right next to 4320 on most burn rate charts, I've never had much luck with it either. I know some people swear by it but that has never been my experience. 4320 beats it every time.
Hello Hodgdon, are you listening?

Add me to that list. I have not had any luck with Varget in any of the rounds I tested it with.
I like 4320 for several cartridges, but I don't understand the problems some are having with Varget. I've had excellent results with it in 223 Rem., 243 Win., 250 & 300 Savage, 308 Winchester, 7mm08 Rem. and 30-06 and I'm probably leaving something off the list.
© 24hourcampfire