Home
Posted By: Hesp Where are Sierra GK bullets ? - 09/20/21
I( have been able to pick up some Nosler AB bullets for my 6.5, 7mm, & 30 cal. Mostly seconds but perfectly good hunting bullets. Also some Hornady & Speer. But Sierra GK hunting bullets in 6.5, 7mm & 30 cal,,, like they have completely disappeared. Am I the only one having this problem. I have found lots of Sierra Match bullets . My local Sportsman Warehouse & even Walmart have Match King bullets, but no GK. Whats going on...
Damn if I know but I have been looking for Sierra Prohunter .308 150 grain bullets for over a year. I have my email address for in-stock notification's at Midway USA, Midsouth shooters supply and Natchez plus I check every place I go that sells reloading supplies and have had zero luck. Its almost like Sierra has quit......Hb
Are they going more to the tipped version?
Posted By: Hesp Re: Where are Sierra GK bullets ? - 09/21/21
Hey Vahillbilly , if it would help you out I have an old partial box of 52 Sierra 30 cal 150gr Spt boat tail I will probably never use. If interested $18 to you with the shipping.
Hesp, Thanks very much for the most generous offer but the bullet i need is the 150gr flat base Sierra Pro hunter, I have Whitetail hunted with these bullets and My .308 Montana for many years ....Sierra SKU 2130...thanks for the offer though....Hb
They seem to be focusing pretty heavily on the Matchkings during this supply shortage/run. I've been able to stock up on the Varminters pretty easily (mostly just don't think that many people are buying them), but the Blitzking, ProHunter, and Gamekings have been few and far between in stock. I got A box of ProHunter 125gr .308 maybe 6 months ago, and haven't seen any in stock anywhere since.
I've been looking for .284 140 gr. Pro Hunters SP's for months now. I have two 7mm-08's and tried them in one rifle and they shot well but GK's were just a bit more accurate. But, this bullet is really accurate in my Browning BLR 7-08. Wish I would have bought more when they were available. May have to look for another bullet as deer season is fast approaching and really want to use the BLR this year.
I've got one place I buy reloading supplies from and the only bullets that they have had in stock for the last few months is about 6 boxes of 6mm 100 grain game kings. I started to buy a box but decided not to. Not sure why nobody has bought them but those same 6 boxes were there the last 2 times I went there buying powder.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Hesp, Thanks very much for the most generous offer but the bullet i need is the 150gr flat base Sierra Pro hunter, I have Whitetail hunted with these bullets and My .308 Montana for many years ....Sierra SKU 2130...thanks for the offer though....Hb

I've used the 130 Pro hunter in my 270 for years, never let me down, great bullet. I use the 150s in my 300 Savage too. Have you kept an eye on Gunbroker? Prices can be high unless you catch a deal, but coming up on hunting seasons, might be even harder to find. I saw these on GB:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911328254
Originally Posted by M1Garand

I've used the 130 Pro hunter in my 270 for years, never let me down, great bullet. I use the 150s in my 300 Savage too. Have you kept an eye on Gunbroker? Prices can be high unless you catch a deal, but coming up on hunting seasons, might be even harder to find. I saw these on GB:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911328254

Thanks....I do keep an eye on gunbroker and those are the first 2130's i have seen on there in a long time, I put a watch on these if they dont get too crazy high. I will slip in a bid......Its sad that buying reloading components has come to this though.....Thanks Hb
I’ve stocked up on 30 cal and 270 interlocks found locally at reasonable prices if only I could find primers
It seems like only Hornady is actually shipping bullets these days.
I wish I knew. Seems like the only places that have them here are places with deep, older stocks of supplies.
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Barnes have been popping up fairly regularly, too.

Speer finally released a big batch last week. I bought a 500rd box of 30 cal TNTs, and they had a bunch of other Speer in stock for a few days. It just sells out fast.
Damn if I know but I have been looking for Sierra Prohunter .308 150 grain bullets for over a year. I have my email address for in-stock notification's at Midway USA, Midsouth shooters supply and Natchez plus I check every place I go that sells reloading supplies and have had zero luck. Its almost like Sierra has quit......Hb

I've also been looking for this bullet. Its more like 1-1/2 years for me. Maybe they will show up pretty soon.
I want some 140 grain 6.5 Gamekings.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Keep your eyes out for for some 140 grain tipped game kings as well. I bought a box of 500 this spring and they shoot really well in my 8 twist 6.5-06. I have dealt a lot of death out with them already from rock chucks to coyotes. The coyote I shot tonight was at 520 yds
I have not seen them n shelves in quite a while. Did however find 180gr Speer Hot Cor's at a very reasonable price so will be working with them for now.
There were a couple of boxes of 150 grain partitions in my reloading store yesterday. They won’t last long!

Best bullet I ever used, Good luck finding them. I am relegated to 120 Pro Hunters.
Originally Posted by Nestucca

Keep your eyes out for for some 140 grain tipped game kings as well. I bought a box of 500 this spring and they shoot really well in my 8 twist 6.5-06. I have dealt a lot of death out with them already from rock chucks to coyotes. The coyote I shot tonight was at 520 yds

I bought the only box of the 140 gr. Tipped GK’s I found last year. I thought they’d have more, nope I was wrong. I’ve been looking since last May or so for them. I want to give them a try in my .260 Rem.
Been eager to see the 140gr Tipped Game King for the 7mm but no luck so far. If anybody had any I would be willing to trade 150gr ELD-X for them grin
Summer of 2019, they had shelves full of them around here... so much they were putting them all on sale...

I bought quite a few boxes of the 6.5 and 6mm, and 3 or so boxes in 7mm.
I couldn't find them anywhere. Found a place that had .308 cal. 180gr Speer Hot Cor's for pre Covid pricing. Bought a few boxes and used the same 72grs of IMR 4831 and they actually shoot tighter than the GameKing's.

Ive got a box of 7mm 140 gr Sierra Game KIngs. 82 bullets.
Local gun store told me they have only gotten about 26 of the ~400 available sku numbers from Sierra in the last year.
I haven’t seen much of anything from Sierra available at all the main places such as Powder Valley, Midway, Grafs, etc. I don’t see how they stay in business if they aren’t producing. If they were producing, it looks like they would show up once in a while.
Originally Posted by lightman

I've also been looking for this bullet. Its more like 1-1/2 years for me. Maybe they will show up pretty soon.

Speer's flat base 150 grain Hot Cor is in stock at Midway. May be as close as you all are gonna get.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010543781?pid=538531
Thanks Auk, thats some good info....I have never tried those but its worth a shot 👍......Hb
Thanks Auk, thats some good info....I have never tried those but its worth a shot 👍......Hb

Good luck!
Originally Posted by auk1124

Good luck!

Thanks! Just for the heck of it I ordered a box of 150gr Grand Slams too as they are cheap and also have excellent reviews......Hb

You won't regret using those Hot-Cors, i've used them in 30.06, .308, 260, and 25.06 with excellent results on game and i have always gotten good accuracy with them as well.
Guy locally selling 5 boxes of 165gr 2145 for $200 shipped. A little more then I’m willing to pay
Posted By: J23 Re: Where are Sierra GK bullets ? - 10/12/21
Originally Posted by MagMarc

I've noticed this as well in my AO. Hornadys for the most part are fairly plentiful. Nosler employees must be working at least part time, because every so often the market will be flooded with one particular Nosler bullet (I seen everyone had 180 grain .308" ballistic tips a while back, then .257" ballistic tips a bit later...), as for Sierra, Ive seen nothing outside of Match Kings.

I haven't seen powder in quite a while aside from one rural ma and pop gun shop who had 2 pounds of 4198 in stock, for $34 no less. I bought a pound. Prolly should have grabbed them both before Hodgdon drops that one too.

Primers are even more rare.

I'm starting to have a hard believing that these companies are working "round the clock" making powder bullets and primers. Yes, folks are buying them up quickly, but companies have to actually have them in stock at some point for people to buy. I've also head folks say, they're using the components on ammunition. Ok, what ammunution??
You mentioned the most rare reloading component in my neck of the woods, the elusive primer, i have seen a few small rifle and small pistol primers for sale at LGS over the past year and a half but I have not laid eyes on a box of large rifle primer's for sale .....Almost like Sasquatch...but at least some people claim to have seen him, i have not even heard of anyone even seeing a box of large rifle primer's for sale 😁......Hb
Natchez has been getting some LRPs here and there the past couple months, mostly Federal 210. They did have some 215 magnums last week, too. Gotta be quick on the draw, though, they sell out fast.
Sierra has gotten into the loaded ammo game - taking up what would normally be available to reloaders.
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
I haven’t seen much of anything from Sierra available at all the main places such as Powder Valley, Midway, Grafs, etc. I don’t see how they stay in business if they aren’t producing. If they were producing, it looks like they would show up once in a while.

Probably selling every bullet they make to the ammo manufacturers....and stores locally can't keep much ammo on the shelves either...

they get 10 boxes of something, and there are a 100 guys who want to buy them.... even if they don't shoot... they want it for barter or to sell at scalp prices.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Would love to find some 90 HPBTs. Cutting the reloaders off is dangerous for future sales. Once most swap to other bullets they are gone for good.

GreggH
They are filling backorders as fast as they can build them, just like during the Obama admin. plus dealing with raw material shortages due to COVID. When I went by their Outlet a few weeks back, they were almost out off blems, the only thing they had resembling a deer bullet in .22, .24 or .25 cal was 77 gr TMK's.
© 24hourcampfire