Home
Posted By: Rooney Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
Hello all, not sure if this subject has been posted before...apologies if it has. I've had problems seating Fed. 210M primers in five different makes of .308 brass. About 2 out of 10 simply won't seat fully. I purchased this batch sometime in the past 18 months, prior to this, had no problem with Fed. 210M's.
CCI Benchrest and WW work fine, just the Fed match. Any ideas?

Best regards

Paul
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
Primer pocket uniformer is your friend any brand will do.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064338732
Posted By: mathman Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
That tool cuts for depth. Any trouble I've ever had with the Federals had to do with diameter.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
Sounds like he is having a depth problem.

What seating tool are you using? I know my RCBS benchtop seater allows for some adjustment by screwing the seater plug in or out.
Posted By: mathman Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
OK, let's be explicit. What exactly is the difficulty? Do they go in smooth and easy, but just won't go in far enough to be slightly below flush? Are they very tight going in, enough so that the force required to push them in sufficiently is defeating your seating method?
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by mathman
That tool cuts for depth. Any trouble I've ever had with the Federals had to do with diameter.

Agreed on diameter with Feds.

Federals seem to run a bit fat, and Remingtons a touch on the skinny side, in my experience, at least with LRP.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Sounds like he is having a depth problem.

Unlikely - the OP said he had difficulty WITH 5 DIFFERENT BRANDS OF CASES.

Seems like someone posted this info here on the 'Fire a while back:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21

To the OP, do you have a good micrometer? If so, provide the cup diameter of the offending primers.
Originally Posted by mathman

Bingo
Posted By: Rooney Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
Thanks guys, primer pockets have been uniformed using a Lyman tool. Mathman/MuskegMan you are correct, it appears width of the Federal primers is the problem. Not sure what can be done about it. No MuskegMan, my micrometer isn't that great! Some primers seat properly, others, do not. I'd have to say they are crooked or tilted in the primer pocket.

Really appreciate all your comments!
Posted By: Futura Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
I just primed some Norma 1x fired brass with 210M primers and they were very tight. Using a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer. I primed some regular 210 primers in some 7.62x51 brass a while back that seated fine. All recent production primers.
Hey Paul, I hope all is well for you guys!

What primer seating tool are you using?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
Federal primers are the ones you save for when the others become too loose.
Always nice to have options.
Posted By: Rooney Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
Hey Jordan...we are well thanks!. Trust you are as well. I just use the tool on my press. Going slower may help, but I should try and get another seating tool.

Paul
Posted By: DW06 Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
One thing that's worked for me, when I've ran into a batch of hard seating of primers. Take a #2 pencil and run it around sides a couple times. It has graphite that lets primer slip in easier. Give it a try.
I use the old style Lee hand primer.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/22/21
I have had problems with Federal but only the depth. If I don’t clean the pocket well they don’t go flush. Mostly 215’s in magnums.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/23/21

This is strange. The only problem I've ever had seating primers were with WLR's. I use Fed 210 and 215 more than any other primer, and can't really recall having to put any special effort into seating them.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/23/21
The only primers I have ever used that didn't seat as flush as they should were Remington 9 1/2 primers.
Posted By: mathman Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
The only primers I have ever used that didn't seat as flush as they should were Remington 9 1/2 primers.

I've run into tall batches of the 9 1/2. I have to cut the pockets to the full .132" depth for them.
Posted By: Rooney Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/23/21
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated! Have a good one.

Paul
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by Rooney
Hey Jordan...we are well thanks!. Trust you are as well. I just use the tool on my press. Going slower may help, but I should try and get another seating tool.

Paul

That is probably your best bet. My progressive has very little leverage when seating primers and I have gone to an RCBS bench mounted unit. Works good and you can feel how much force is required to seat a primer.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012932670?pid=457599
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/23/21
After 35+ years of using them, I kind’ve retired my old style Lee hand primers and went went the RCBS bench priming tool.

It seems in more recent times I’ve ran into more brass with tight primer pockets. I bought 15 bricks of Fed 210, all the same lot, so I assume they’re all the same dimensions, and find enough variation in in pocket size of different brands/lots of brass. The RCBS tool seats the primers easily regardless if the brass has tight pockets.

It saves my thumbs for other things……
Posted By: Rooney Re: Primer Seating Problem - 09/23/21
Thanks Blacktailer, that's the "machine" I've looked at and will buy. Alpinecrick, your hint with an HB pencil works like a charm!

Paul
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Primer Seating Problem - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by Rooney
Thanks Blacktailer, that's the "machine" I've looked at and will buy. Alpinecrick, your hint with an HB pencil works like a charm!

Paul

Rooney that was DW06 with the pencil idea. I was going to quote him and compliment the idea so thought I would give the shout it deserves here.

Have to remember that idea maybe even for other solutions.

Then again .... I have watched a hundred video's on household hacks and can't recall a one of 'em!

Posted By: elkaddict Re: Primer Seating Problem - 10/09/21
I’m having the same problem with 215Ms. CCIs and Winchester seat just fine.
Posted By: Rooney Re: Primer Seating Problem - 10/10/21
Good morning all, and a Happy Thanksgiving to any Canadians lurking around here. Thanks for the correction Kenj. I managed to find an RCBS bench priming tool at Amazon of all outfits. None locally, nor at Bass Pro or Cabela's. It works like a charm. Thanks for all the help.

Paul
I had a few 270 cases that would not let the primer seat. I took a chamfer tool and just slightly chamfered the primer pocket and that finally allowed the primer to seat.
© 24hourcampfire