Home
Perhaps I have been living under a rock for the last year, but this week I came to find out that the Hodgdon Powder Company acquired the Accurate and Ramshot brands last year. At this point, that means they have control over not only Hodgdon powder, but also anything that is labeled IMR, Winchester, Ramshot, and Accurate.

I can't help but think this is bad for the consumer, with no competition prices are bound to increase, even when supply levels (hopefully) get back to a somewhat normal level. Are there any good powder brands, readily available, that Hodgdon does not own at this point?
Alliant?
I agree with you totally! More companies and competition is always better for consumers (shooters)!
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Alliant?

Ah yes, Alliant. Must have slipped my mind after not seeing a pound of Reloder (of any variety) on a shelf for at least 18 months. Good catch - but a short list.
Agree 100 percent. Big business bought by bigger eliminate the competition fix the prices lobby the government screw the little man. Welcome to the newer deal.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Originally Posted by HeadedWest98
Alliant?

Ah yes, Alliant. Must have slipped my mind after not seeing a pound of Reloder (of any variety) on a shelf for at least 18 months. Good catch - but a short list.

Yeah, what's up with those mo fo's?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by HeadedWest98
Alliant?

Yeah, what's up with those mo fo's?

Couldn’t be that most of Alliants powder is made by RUAG and Nammo group. European.

Yeah, I've long been a fan of Hodgdon powders, but this doesn't bode well.

On the flip side it may open the door for other entrepreneurs.
I've started looking at European powders. Nobel T7000 is about like 4350. VV N560 is about like H4831.

Okie John
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...dgdon-now-a-powder-monopoly#Post15483444
Hodgdon only distribute powders, the H line are made and owned in Australia.
Sure they CAN make the price whatever they want, but they still have competition with Alliant, Vhiavouri and Accurate.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by 416RigbyHunter
Hodgdon only distribute powders, the H line are made and owned in Australia.
Sure they CAN make the price whatever they want, but they still have competition with Alliant, Vhiavouri and Accurate.

Cheers.

I thought Western owned all the Accurate powders until Hodgdon’s bought them out?
The biggest problem with consolidation of manufacturers is elimination of competing SKU's. When the bean counters look at it and see that powder X has basically the same specs as powder Y they pick whichever one sells the most and discontinue the other.
That works on the balance sheet but your rifle may not agree.
© 24hourcampfire