Home
Posted By: 405wcf Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/13/22
of his reloading supplies. I needed some .264" 140 gr Sierra Match Kings. MidSouth has them for $44, I can order them direct from Sierra for $50, and Larry wants $53! Also needed a box of Lapua 260 Rem brass. In the past this cost me around $105, but we know prices have gone up. MidSouth has them for $119, Larry is asking $147!!!

It's his store and he can ask what he wants. Midway has often been a bit higher than others, a couple of bucks here and there. When he is asking more than the manufacturer? It does not put him in a very good light.

Kind of sad to see.

405wcf
Yep "Thats the way it is" šŸ˜......Hb
Posted By: Dinny Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/13/22
I've spent thousands of dollars in the last few months on rifles and reloading components. Years past much of that would have been spent at MidwayUSA. Nowadays I like Graf's, Powder Valley, Midsouth, Starline, and Blue Collar Reloading. Larry is taking advantage of the current situation.
Haven't ordered from Midway in years. So many other good options out there. Big fan of Blue Collar
I agree and like others I'll spend my money wisely and shop elsewhere.
I tend avoid Midway whenever possibly myself
Posted By: LFC Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/13/22
Midway has always been a last resort for me.

I hope Larry is reading the way it is....
Larry Potterfield can eat a bag of dicks.

Midway puts items on sale often and also has been offering free shipping every couple weeks I have dropped a stupid amount of money this past year on shooting stuff, and more times than not Midway has been less expensive than Graf's, MidSouth or Natchez, etc. Midway's everyday prices are way high though.........
Posted By: Hudge Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/13/22
The only thing I have ordered form Midway USA of late is some brass and I used my birthday percentage off for some scope rings. Outside of that, Larry doesn't get much of my money anymore.
Larry supports the NRA though. (forgive me for posting this)
on the other end.... I got a flier, and it turned out it was because on my profile they had my birthday, which they have on file as December 28th.

I went on their site and it had a cost of $104 for a box of 1000 grain Speer 55 SP, $112 for 50 grain TNT/ 1,000, and $109.00 for the 1000 count box of 52 gr HPs.
with discounts etc, and the promotion, I ended up with 7,000 bullets delivered on the door step ( no shipping cost) for like $650.00

Someone else check at the same time, and what I was given for $104.00, their computer showed $160.00 for the same box of 1000 Speer 55 gr SPs.

I asked the girl who took my order why it was cheaper than on another persons web page, and she said it was because it was my birthday...

Evidently you get discount pricing one week before your birthday and one week after your birthday....

I never knew that... but do now.

as far as Graf & Sons, I wanted a die set that was $43 from them.... found the same die set on Midway for $30., plus a couple more things I needed, that Graf didn't have.
so including shipping, I ended up with the stuff from Midway for a $1.00 cheaper than I could have just got the die set from Grafs. I have tried to call Graf and cancel my order with them. NO one answered the phone, saying they were closed until Jan 10th. I have called them several times and was on hold forever, so I finally sent them an email, by returning their order confirmation email. We'll see what ever happens.. If not I'll just refuse the package when it arrives. I guess they will get the message.

was Surprised by Midway and disappointed on Grafs for once... normally that is the other way around.
Ole Larry is just another commie tool.
I buy all my reloading supplies through MidSouth. Their prices are good, and I only live about 30 minutes away, so I can save myself a Hazmat fee, and pick them up as needed. The only exception is when I buy things like used brass, or the occasional box of bullets from members on here.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/13/22
Larry is getting his.
Midway used to be a first stop, it's hardly even a last stop now. I don't need it bad enough to pay his prices.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Evidently you get discount pricing one week before your birthday and one week after your birthday....

Thanks Seafire, you just inspired me to go check my profile and make sure they have my birthday on file. They do.
I'll try to remember to use this feature when it rolls around this year.

I concur with others on their pricing, but one thing I have noticed is often Midway will have things in stock that I can't find anywhere else. If they do, and I need the item bad enough to pay what they're asking, I pay. If not, I don't. I can live with that.

Cheers,
Rex
use to deal with Midway in the late 90's when they gave us FFL holders a discount, still deal with them on sale items and birthday discount
Karmaā€™s a bitch.

Attached picture 601D57A7-DE7E-4AB7-AF17-44ECBF01B128.jpeg
Originally Posted by Stammster
Karmaā€™s a bitch.

wait to you hit 72
Always best to shop around... sometimes Midway has good prices sometimes not.

I buy up on things with my annual birthday discount.

When it comes to powder and bullets I typically pass on Midway because of high prices. Here the other day I was going to buy some powder but they had a one pound limit ..... screw that ..... I can see a limit on powder, but a one pound limit with Hazmat charges? Moreover with lot to lot variation in powder I won't buy unless I can get 3-4 pounds at a time.
Shopping around is just wise, if you think someone always has the highest or lowest prices, you are seriously mistaken. Sometimes Midway is low on what I need, sometimes Grafs, Midsouth, Natchez, Powder Valley, etc, etc, etc. I've used spreadsheets to compute and compare the real cost including shipping, tax and hazmat.

But Larry's Birthday Discount is always worth using.
They are higher on some stuff but they also have more in stock items as well. Shop around.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/14/22
I'd say Larry has pretty good deals going on here for .338's

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010509138?pid=360995 100 bullets, really not a bad price.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023840599?pid=207758
Posted By: EdM Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by 405wcf
of his reloading supplies. I needed some .264" 140 gr Sierra Match Kings. MidSouth has them for $44, I can order them direct from Sierra for $50, and Larry wants $53! Also needed a box of Lapua 260 Rem brass. In the past this cost me around $105, but we know prices have gone up. MidSouth has them for $119, Larry is asking $147!!!

It's his store and he can ask what he wants. Midway has often been a bit higher than others, a couple of bucks here and there. When he is asking more than the manufacturer? It does not put him in a very good light.

Kind of sad to see.

405wcf

And away we go. We should read about sucking balls soon.
I dont care what he asks, if I want it I'll buy it
I got aggravated with Midway about a year ago, when they had a huge markdown on some rifles. They had a Remington Model 7 stainless with the H.S.Precison stock in 243 at a very good price. I tried to order one by faxing my FFL dealer info to them, but they only ship to what they call Midway USA Preferred Dealers, and there were none in my area. So, I went through the process of getting my FFL to become one of those preferred dealers, and of course those rifles were sold out by the time all that happened.
Posted By: pullit Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/14/22
back in the fall, Midway sent me my "birthday pricing" special and I did not order a thing. Anything I wanted, with a little shopping around I could beat him on their prices.
About the only thing I have seen that I could not beat their prices on was Safariland holsters.
I took full advantage of my Midway birthday pricing a couple weeks ago. Saved me a fair amount of money when I compared shopping carts of the other online retailers.
Posted By: mart Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/14/22
Iā€™ve ordered a few things from Midway when I couldnā€™t find them elsewhere but they lost me when they started tacking on an extra $10 for shipping to Alaska. And they were shipping USPS flat rate which goes to all 50 for the same price.
Midway used to be the first place I check for supplies. Now itā€™s the last. Prices and slow shipping has caused me to shop elsewhere. Try Brownells. Hasbeen
Midway is a last resort.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Shopping around is just wise, if you think someone always has the highest or lowest prices, you are seriously mistaken. Sometimes Midway is low on what I need, sometimes Grafs, Midsouth, Natchez, Powder Valley, etc, etc, etc. I've used spreadsheets to compute and compare the real cost including shipping, tax and hazmat.

But Larry's Birthday Discount is always worth using.

yeah, I shop around from the various " usual suspects"... with the current market, things are ALL over the map concerning pricing.

There are few things I need 'right now'.... I purchase when the pricing is good.

I bet ya I've sworn off Midway a dozen times in the last 20 years....then they will redeem themselves....

Gave up shopping one place on a regular basis... life was crazy for shooters under Obama.... and now we are right back to that again with Brandon's Administration.

Gas has finally hit Obama era pricing around here also... $4.25 to $4.50 a gallon for regular....the local oil dealers take advantage of that big time... NO competiton at all between them.

People in the gun and shooting business, no difference there either.... guess it depends on each of them and when they buy from their suppliers and manufacturers...
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/18/22
funny . did a search on midsouth shooters supply and guess what came up first?

Midwayusa.
Recently, I was about to order an item from Midway that had a special discount that day. They were also running Free Shipping Over $49. When the site wouldn't allow me to checkout, I called them. The rep told me that I could have the discounted price OR the free shipping, but not both. I went and bought from Scheels.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/19/22
I got mad at Midway in the 90s for ending free shipping.

It took me a few years to get over it.

I like Larry's gunsmithing lessons.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/19/22
I've bought a fair bit from Midway (a scope arrived today) and continue to do so. I also shop elsewhere if needed.
I spent around $6000 at midway a few years back but now spend my money elsewhere! Midway USA is no longer mom and pop friendly IMO
Posted By: pullit Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/19/22
Midway had the "free shipping over $49" thing going and I had like $53 worth of stuff in my basket and it would not give me the free shipping. So I stuck a few of the cardboard half silhouette in and ran the bill to about $59 and got free shipping. I bet he did not ship that big cardboard box for $6.
I shop by total shipped price, wherever that takes me. Lately Iā€™ve been buying .22s and shotshells from Rogers and Sportsmans Guide because they have free shipping on generally good prices, and have stuff others seem to struggle getting. Sometimes Larry is the only choice for tools I need, so he gets the nod. His policy of limiting ammo purchases to 3 boxes may be good for those who need hunting ammo, but I usually shoot that many every week at clays, and it would cost me a bundle on shipping and keep the UPS man pretty busy. I can get a case from Rogers, cheaper per box, and with free shipping.
Posted By: tzone Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/19/22
I've looked at Midway a few times when ordering and they were always higher priced than most places I found. I can't recall ever ordering from them because of it.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I shop by total shipped price, wherever that takes me. Lately Iā€™ve been buying .22s and shotshells from Rogers and Sportsmans Guide because they have free shipping on generally good prices, and have stuff others seem to struggle getting. Sometimes Larry is the only choice for tools I need, so he gets the nod. His policy of limiting ammo purchases to 3 boxes may be good for those who need hunting ammo, but I usually shoot that many every week at clays, and it would cost me a bundle on shipping and keep the UPS man pretty busy. I can get a case from Rogers, cheaper per box, and with free shipping.

I shop the same way! Living in Alaska, itā€™s hard to get some companies to even ship here. I got a good laugh on Saturday. I ordered a charging handle from DVOR.com and it arrived in a huge box all by itself. My son ordered a gas block and a buffer spring from BDU, you could have put three pairs of size 12 work boots in the box they shipped it in, good grief. Many times I do not order as the shipping on what I am trying to order is a lot more than the item Iā€™m ordering. Mention flat rate boxes to some of these companies and they seem to get insulted. That tells me they make more money shipping the item than selling it. Too many times Iā€™ve been charged x amount for shipping only to have it cost 2/3ā€™s less, Iā€™ve yet to have that difference ever refunded to me.
Posted By: Basco Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/20/22
Proud as a Peacockā€¦. Brenda must have a house full of high $ heels šŸ‘ 
Originally Posted by 405wcf

Kind of sad to see.

405wcf

Go find them cheaper
Originally Posted by Basco
Proud as a Peacockā€¦. Brenda must have a house full of high $ heels šŸ‘ 

Well he sure as hell isn't spending any of his money on orthodontia work.
I placed an order with Midsouth shooters supply on the 19th still processing. Don't think Larry would have been there.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/25/22
Typed up a product review on MIdway site, then it told me I had to disable ad block.

Bad Midway!

No review!
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I shop by total shipped price, wherever that takes me.

Me too. Bottom line is the price to my door. I donā€™t care who I buy from, but this fall Midway has been the cheapest most of the time for components and equipment.
Originally Posted by scottishkat
I placed an order with Midsouth shooters supply on the 19th still processing. Don't think Larry would have been there.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Took Midsouth 11 days before they shipped my order, but they were saying up to 10 days.

I want to know how Midway can ship in less then 24 hrs every time when Midsouth, Grafs, or Natchez can often take days before they shipā€¦ā€¦
Posted By: KenMi Re: Ol' Larry sure is proud.... - 01/25/22
It's the investment they made in their automated shipping process.
Should be a youtube video that shows it.
© 24hourcampfire