Home
Posted By: jwp475 My 35 Whelen Loads Pressure T - 02/28/22
Because of the speed I was getting out my rifle many thought I was over pressure.
. Here are the results

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I just noticed a typo error on the pressure chart, the 250 grain Hornady was loaded with CFE223 not Power Pro Varmint

Great info showing the actual pressure with the performance we're seeing in the Whelen with the newer powders!

My velocities out of my Highwall's 28" barrel were as follows

180-grain TTSX. . . .. 3231 FPS
200 grain Hornaday Interlock. 3080 FPS
220 grain Hammer Hunter. 2911 FPS
225 grain Accubond. 2800 FPS
225 TSX. 2850 FPS
250 Grain Interlock. 2745 FPS
Posted By: JPro Re: My 35 Whelen Loads Pressure T - 03/01/22
Good to actually know. Stout performance!
Can you explain how you are measuring your pressures please? I'm truly interested. What kind of investment do you have to generate that data?
Great info, thanks! I may have to try CFE223 w/ 225gr ABs.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Can you explain how you are measuring your pressures please? I'm truly interested. What kind of investment do you have to generate that data?

A friend with an Olher strain Guage system did the testing for me. He used a Remington M700 with 22" barrel.
Oddly I really like the old Whelen pushing a 250 grain bullet at 2450 fps. I can imagine recoil becoming an issue with the faster loads.
Very useful, thanks. Especially the 250 Hornady with CFE 223. I guess what they say about that and MR-2000 getting lower pressure is really true. I always got scared of the velocity in MR-2000 even though I wasn't seeing pressure signs.
Great information and much appreciated that you took the time to share it. Thank you. 👍

So I must’ve missed it (not unusual) but I assume Power Pro Varmint and MR2000 are the “same” powder?
Originally Posted by TX35W
Very useful, thanks. Especially the 250 Hornady with CFE 223. I guess what they say about that and MR-2000 getting lower pressure is really true. I always got scared of the velocity in MR-2000 even though I wasn't seeing pressure signs.

Not sure why but I get higher velocity with CFE223 over 2000MR with 250 grain bullets.

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Great information and much appreciated that you took the time to share it. Thank you. 👍

So I must’ve missed it (not unusual) but I assume Power Pro Varmint and MR2000 are the “same” powder?

No Power Pro Varmint and 2000MR are most certainly not the same powder!

Not sure why but I get higher velocity with CFE223 over 2000MR with 250 grain bullets.

I have some CFE223. Worked up enough good loads with other powders (MR-2000, RL-15, IMR 4895) that I never quite got to it. But I'll give it a try.
tag
Bugger
© 24hourcampfire