Home
Can anyone help me with the articles and load data for 6.5x257 Roberts found in Ken Water’s Pet Loads Book? I would gladly pay for copying and postage or scanning and emailing. I thought I would ask before trying to find a copy of the book.

Is the the same load data that would be found on Load Data.com. I could always go that route.

Thanks
If no one else replies I'll take a snapshot of it for you tonight when I'm home.

I've always found Waters' Pet Loads informative and useful, but you gotta remember the data is aging now and he didn't employ sophisticated pressure measuring apparatus. We've come to learn that measuring case head expansion like he did isn't a reliable means to gauge pressure.
Great, thanks. I bought a few older Speer books but most of the powders shown are no longer available.

For the older books when 4350 is listed was it pertaining to DuPont, IMR, Hodgdon? I looked through the books and it did not specify.
The original 1 & 2 volume set makes no mention of the 6.5 x 257. The newer pet loads manual that combined them and included newer pet loads has a pet loads article for the 6.5 x 57 mauser starting on page 741 to 745. I saw no mention of 6.5 x 257. KW also stated the use of a form die and 30-06 brass....mb
I really like Ken's work, but as stated, it's dated. The newer high performance powders aren't there.

Load Data is a great site and one that I use a lot. There is a nominal cost to subscribe, but I feel it's worth it. It's less expensive than trying to keep a bunch of current load manuals and includes a lot of that same info.

They'll usually have Ken's stuff as well as newer data.

DF
Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
Great, thanks. I bought a few older Speer books but most of the powders shown are no longer available.

For the older books when 4350 is listed was it pertaining to DuPont, IMR, Hodgdon? I looked through the books and it did not specify.

Depends on how old. Most of the stuff from the 50s-70s is IMR, which was a DuPont branding...before that, not sure.

As previously mentioned lot of those old loads are HOT, compared to what you'll find in modern manuals. I've got some old Lymans, and a lot of of the loads listed in it are several grains beyond anything you'd find now.

H4350 was first produced in Scotland and was new in the eighties. Older manuals are referring to IMR4350.
Ok. I thought I had read somewhere it included the 257 information. Maybe I was thinking of the x57. I know that they are very similar in case capacity. One of the older books I have has the load data listed as 6.5x257/6.5x57 Mauser.

If it is not too much trouble, I would be interested in the x57 information as well. I could use it as a starting point since they are so close.

Thanks.

Send me your smartphone # by pm and I will send you a pic of page 744...mb
Thanks!
Originally Posted by mathman

H4350 was first produced in Scotland and was new in the eighties. Older manuals are referring to IMR4350.

Thanks for the information!
On the way by phone...mb
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The old Speer #9 has the 6.5 x .257...sorry I don't know how to do a screenshot. Speer's numbers are pretty cautious, using their data you can barely equal the Swede, and the 6.5 x 57.
I took mine up to 2700 fps with 140 gr and H4831SC with good brass life, 24" bbl, '98 action.
Thanks for the Speer information and suggestions . I believe I have 4, 7, 8, 9. I will double check tonight.
This is from a 1950's Speer "Wildcat" manual...I'll have to check and see if there are any more pages.

[Linked Image from ar15.com]
[Linked Image from ar15.com]
Great. Thanks for the load information.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I really like Ken's work, but as stated, it's dated. The newer high performance powders aren't there.

Load Data is a great site and one that I use a lot. There is a nominal cost to subscribe, but I feel it's worth it. It's less expensive than trying to keep a bunch of current load manuals and includes a lot of that same info.

DF

I bought 8#'s of 4320 maybe a year after is was discontinued. I am thinking it will still work.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I bought 8#'s of 4320 maybe a year after is was discontinued. I am thinking it will still work.

For sure.

Have a couple of pounds.

DF
Me and the OP have exchanged a few PMs on the subject...

but in case anyone else has any interest in the cartridge.. I built one as it became my favorite chambering for several reasons that are unimportant there...

I found load data for it in my older manuals, which work just fine.. I prefer powders that have worked just fine for decades anyway... why re invent the wheel.

but in load developing for mine, I also shoot the Swede in several rifles along with the 260 Remington...

Since I don't shoot a 257 Roberts, I just bought a bunch of Winchester 257 Roberts brass, and necked it up from.257 to .264, or 7/1000ths ..

mine is built on a Model 70 long action, heavy magnum contour barrel that is 28 inches in length.. ( to be used as a stationary position rifle)

6.5 x 55 load data works just fine... and then so does 260 Remington load data also....

I shoot 100 grain, 120 grain, 129 grain and 140 grain bullets in it...and seat the bullet out to magazine length.... kind of like the same idea on the 6.5 Creedmoor.. just did it before the Creedmoor came out....mine gets more velocity than a few rifles friends have had in 6.5/06, 6.506 AI, 6.5 Remington Mag and gives the old 264 Win Mag a run for its money.. ALL the time using less powder...

mine uses a lot of 4064, 4895 ( IMR), 3031 and RL 15, and even AR Comp...

just inherited an Arisaka that was rechambered to a 6.5 x 57.. 22 inch with the old Japanese barrel on it... haven't loaded or shot it yet...

handy rifle size wise,

I like the 6.5 bore a lot....
6.5x57 data are in the Hornady manuals also,
© 24hourcampfire