Home
Posted By: Old_Tucson Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
What is the preferred brass prep sequence when you need to size, trim, and anneal and why?
George
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
Get ready for all kinds of answers. OP, be sure to ask what kind of accuracy these guys are getting and if they feel their process is working for them.. Tell them to post pics for proof. This should be interesting..
Posted By: MikeS Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
Anneal, size, trim/chamfer for me.
Posted By: Deans Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
Anneal (after 3rd or 4th firing), clean, size, trim & chamfer
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
1. Size - because you're going to lengthen brass in a FL sizing operation. That amount of lengthening will vary a little. The purpose of trimming is to get them withing spec and the same length.

2. Trim - just the most logical time to do this operation

3. Anneal - because sizing work hardens the brass. You are re-tempering the brass. If you size after, you are defeating the purpose of annealing.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
I'm not at all convinced that annealing first defeats the purpose. I see it's purpose as facilitating uniform sizing, shoulder setback and neck diameters by eliminating brass spring back during the sizing operation. Why anneal cases that may not be dimensionally consistent with each other after sizing? Interesting discussion though.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by MikeS
Anneal, size, trim/chamfer for me.
This is my sequence too.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
1. Deprime
2. Body Die
3. Neck Size
4. Anneal
5. Prime
6. fill one at a time with powder chare
7. Seat bullet, then go to step 6 for the next round
8. Crimp if needed.
Posted By: gte901m Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
Annealing before sizing gives me less spring back when sizing, and results in very consistent brass headspace dimension.

I trim after sizing.

I anneal every other firing.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Case prep sequence - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Get ready for all kinds of answers. OP, be sure to ask what kind of accuracy these guys are getting and if they feel their process is working for them.. Tell them to post pics for proof. This should be interesting..

Sounds like you are hijacking this thread ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save us the drama and bloviate already
wink
Posted By: PaintedDesert Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
I got into brushing the inside of the necks before annealing. The brush is screwed into the Lyman prep station. I can’t look anyone in the face and say that it works, it’s more of a mental thing. The brushing of each one makes me feel like I’m one more step in consistent brass prep. My full routine is this-

Deprime, sonic clean, brush, anneal, size, trim if needed, champher debur, sometimes neck turning, sonic clean to remove lube and whatnot, brush again, prime, powder, seat.

I did see a video on the inter webs of accuracy increases when brushing before seating vs not, and look at it as another consistent step. I can’t say if it works but I can say it doesn’t hurt.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
1. Size - because you're going to lengthen brass in a FL sizing operation. That amount of lengthening will vary a little. The purpose of trimming is to get them withing spec and the same length.

3. Anneal - because sizing work hardens the brass. You are re-tempering the brass. If you size after, you are defeating the purpose of annealing.

Could you explain how annealing after sizing defeats the purpose?
It seems to me that annealing after you have work hardened by sizing makes more sense.
It really shouldn't make much difference if you anneal before or after sizing as long as you do it the same way every time for consistency.
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Sounds like you are hijacking this thread ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save us the drama and bloviate already
wink

This should be good. 20 pictures at least.
Posted By: SLM Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
I’ll just leave this here.

Tell them to post pics for proof.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
Load, shoot; load, shoot; load, shoot….
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr

It seems to me that annealing after you have work hardened by sizing makes more sense.
It really shouldn't make much difference if you anneal before or after sizing as long as you do it the same way every time for consistency.

You are mis-intepreting what I dsaid, or I wasn't clear. I would do annealing after sizing. I said "if you size AFTER you anneal" you're just working the brass again.
OK MM, that's makes sense. Thanks for explaining.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Load, shoot; load, shoot; load, shoot….

Not nearly complicated enough for the 'fire
Posted By: pullit Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
Anneal, resize, trim.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Case prep sequence - 08/09/22
Deprime
Wet tumble and dry
Anneal (if required - at least every 3-4 firings)
Resize
Trim
Wet tumble and dry (15 min to remove resizing lube)
Store until time to load

I see no reason to anneal every firing unless you’re getting neck tension or splitting issues.
Posted By: FC363 Re: Case prep sequence - 08/10/22
Anneal, resize, clean primer pocket, then trim.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Case prep sequence - 08/13/22
Originally Posted by gte901m
Annealing before sizing gives me less spring back when sizing, and results in very consistent brass headspace dimension.

I trim after sizing.

I anneal every other firing.

This!

Only I anneal every 3rd or 4th firing......
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Case prep sequence - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr

You are mis-intepreting what I dsaid, or I wasn't clear. I would do annealing after sizing. I said "if you size AFTER you anneal" you're just working the brass again.

You are, but minimally. If you anneal every time you reload a case, it might make sense to anneal after resizing. If you anneal after a certain number of firings, then annealing first makes the most sense.
Posted By: lastround Re: Case prep sequence - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by Deans
Anneal (after 3rd or 4th firing), clean, size, trim & chamfer

This, on the money!
© 24hourcampfire