Home
Posted By: fladeerhntr 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 10/29/22
I've got some of these and have been thinking about trying them out in my model 70 extreme weather. I have both the flat base and boat tail and was wondering if anyone has seen any noticable difference between the two when it comes to accuracy?
I generally get better close range accuracy/precision from the flat based bullets. Further out and the boat tails seem to work a little better. That's 400+ yards though..
I've only tried the BT and they were accurate and worked well on several caribou. No shots past 300 yards, so I can't speak to long range accuracy.

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I've only tried the BT and they were accurate and worked well on several caribou. No shots past 300 yards, so I can't speak to long range accuracy.

Ed

The places I hunt most shots are gonna be around 100 yards but I do have one place where I hunt that is a clear cut and if the situation came up and I had to shoot from one side to the other it would be about a 300 yard shot.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/02/22
They are both accurate and your rifle will tell you what it likes. I like the fb better, but have used them interchangeably. They will perform great at 7-08 velocities. They were my go-to bullets for years in my 7 mags at around 3100 fps for deer.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/03/22
The flat base is no longer made... or at least the last time I was looking to buy a box... like last year or so...
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/03/22
Originally Posted by Seafire
The flat base is no longer made... or at least the last time I was looking to buy a box... like last year or so...

Unfortunately, Hornady has gone the way of the new wave. Everybody thinks that the boattailed, plastic-tipped bullets are the only thing that work.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/03/22
Originally Posted by sbhooper

Unfortunately, Hornady has gone the way of the new wave. Everybody thinks that the boattailed, plastic-tipped bullets are the only thing that work.

That’s because nobody and I mean nobody ever takes a shot under 800 yards on big game anymore. We all be super pooper snipers. So why sell a bullet that doesn’t have a .750 BC and a plastic tip. 🤣
Originally Posted by Swifty52

That’s because nobody and I mean nobody ever takes a shot under 800 yards on big game anymore. We all be super pooper snipers. So why sell a bullet that doesn’t have a .750 BC and a plastic tip. 🤣
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Flat base is easily found in stock on multiple sites.
Posted By: mathman Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/03/22
Hornady shows it on their website.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/04/22

and to think guys like me still prefer a good old round nose if I can find some....

the latest technology I use on deer hunting is the finest of 1950 or so...

Careful, Swifty. Comments like that could give Stick apoplexy! grin
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/04/22
Originally Posted by southtexas

Careful, Swifty. Comments like that could give Stick apoplexy! grin

Not sure that fits the twig, his neurological malfunction was not sudden. 😄
I shot both in an old stainless synthetic model 70 7mm mag back in the mid to late 90's, they blew the hell out of deer with a big charge of 7828, could never see a difference in accuracy, another rifle i should have kept!
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/06/22

Amazing-isn't it?
Posted By: Seafire Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22
not shot by me, but I've loaned out a Howa 1500 in 7/08 to some folks, with my handloads using 4064 with a 139 grain Hornady SP...
it has worked for both Blacktails and Elk, for those folks...,when their Creedmoor didn't work on an Elk...
not shot by me, but I've loaned out a Howa 1500 in 7/08 to some folks, with my handloads using 4064 with a 139 grain Hornady SP...
it has worked for both Blacktails and Elk, for those folks...,when their Creedmoor didn't work on an Elk...

How much IMR4064 are you using?
Posted By: Seafire Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22
44.4 grains... round number easy to remember.
Posted By: mathman Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22

What is this supposed to mean?
Posted By: GregW Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22

Lol.
Posted By: GregW Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by mathman

The 7-08 works on elk and the Creed doesn't... Lol
Posted By: duke61 Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22
personally I prefer Hornady 154 grain in 7mm-08
Posted By: mathman Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22
My camp mate shoots the old 162 BTSP Interlock out of his M7. He's shooting inside 300 yards and it hits hard.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by GregW

I thought everyone already knew that..... wink
Posted By: Joe Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by duke61
personally I prefer Hornady 154 grain in 7mm-08

How fast are you running them Duke?
Posted By: 7887mm08 Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/08/22
Been shooting the 139 gr since 1984.
Never been disappointed. I shoot 3 different 708’s and they all love these bullets and varget. The deer hate them! I load the flat base style. Never imagined using anything but.
The 139 gr. Interlocks shoot fine in my 7mm-08’s, but I mostly shoot 120 gr. Ballistic Tips.
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/10/22
The best pills for the 7mm-08 are the Hammer Bullets, 120gr Hammer Hunter, or 131gr Hammer Hunter, whichever your barrel prefers. My Kimber 84 Hunter 22" shoots 120gr HH 3080fps and there is no tracking. Instant dead bugs with feet in the air. Easy AF to load develop. Distance to Lands no longer matters. You just seat them into the case mouth in the first groove below the ogive. 1/4 turn in crimp with a Factory Lee die doesn't hurt either. Let fly and you will see. Deer, elk, & hogs.

41gr ish of IMR3031 for 120HH and 43gr ish Varget for 131 HH. (Near max loads with Lapua Case, WLR primer)
Posted By: Seafire Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by GregW

Just noticing this one... sorry guys...

The Creedmoor not working on an elk, I think was more due to operator error, vs anything wrong with the cartridge.

I loaned both rifles to a couple who are relatives of family friends we've had for the last 20 years.

The people in question didn't impress me very much. They burned off all the ammo I loaded up for them and never offered to pay me at all for the loan of my rifles or the ammo I made up for them...Californias... not some of the good ones.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/16/22
I prefer flat base almost always. My most accurate load I’ve tried so far with my 7x57 700 Classic is with 139 grain Interlocks. I have not done much work with my 7-08’s yet. Maybe next year. Ice and snow here.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I prefer flat base almost always. My most accurate load I’ve tried so far with my 7x57 700 Classic is with 139 grain Interlocks. I have not done much work with my 7-08’s yet. Maybe next year. Ice and snow here.
How much did you get bugger?
Under 300 yards , no difference in my Kimber. Over 300 there would probably be a difference but I very rarely shoot that far and never get shots even at that range on game. I hunt mostly woods and smaller clearings.
Posted By: fremont Re: 139 Interlocks for 7mm-08 - 11/24/22
After fumbling around initially with H414 for 139/140, I ended up finding success with Varget and the 140 SPH (flat base). Worked well
© 24hourcampfire